Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bennyonesix1
Sarge

Canelo vs Kovalev

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Canelo is a heavy favorite as of now.

I don't see it. At all.

To me, it's Mexicans betting with their hearts and not brains.

Looking to go in on Kovalev.

Anyone have Canelo winning the fight?

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Canelo vs Kovalev

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Yes, I believe Alvarez can beat him. Kovalev has shown to be vulnerable to the body, and very few in the game today go as viciously to the body as Canelo. If Canelo were a pure head hunter, I would see this fight differently. As it stands, Canelo has the right downstairs/upstairs game to make something happen. Canelo has also proven to be durable against the likes of GGG, who punches well above his weight class. To me, this suggests that he can weather the storm that Kovalev brings. It's an intriguing fight, for sure.

Bennyonesix1
Sarge

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:50 pm

Do you have Canelo as a favorite?

I was always taught a good big man beats a good little man.

Hell, I'm taking these odds but Canelo may know Kovalev is shot. And of course he's a huge drunk and may slack off in prep.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:15 pm

Yes, I am favoring Canelo in this fight. I think we are a long way off from the Krusher days. He was knocked out badly three fights ago, and Yarde (a guy that he should have soundly beaten inside of 5 rounds) had him out on his feet at one point. I honestly think Yarde was a little star struck, and that fight was just too early for him. Combine this with his legal and personal problems, the way in which he has changed camps and trainers. He is ripe for the taking and not at the height of his powers.

Meanwhile, Canelo continues to roll on with his same team and looks to be like a fighter in his prime with every outing. This is a "cash out" fight for Kovalev and I think he knows it. This is an opportunity for Canelo to get a belt in a fourth weight class and continue to cement his legacy while demonstrating the willingness to take on an historically dangerous opponent.

Anything can happen in a fight, but I think Canelo and Golden Boy are too smart to take this fight if they didn't think it was a slam dunk at this point in Canelo's career. Like GGG, Canelo can punch up to the light heavyweight class with relative ease, and I think he will absolutely kill Kovalev to the body.

Bennyonesix1
Sarge

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:38 pm

Good points. I think the only thing I disagree with is Canelo's ability to punch with Light Heavies. It's my second favorite class and those dudes can punch. That is a huge leap for Canelo. He isn't a James Toney. But maybe he doesn't have to. Maybe Kovalev is shot or just gonna cash out with this one.

I also don't think Canelo can punch like GGG. But he has the heart and chin to stay in and whack away at the body like you say...

You made me want to re-watch his last few fights.

Bennyonesix1
Sarge

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:20 pm

Welp. I lost $200. De La Hoya is scum. And Kovalev should never be allowed to fight again. Unless of course Canelo has Mike Tyson at his peak level power. Hahahahahha

Bennyonesix1
Sarge

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:59 pm

Surprised I am still so angry about this. It was the most blatant thrown fight in decades though.