IR Sauna

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

IR Sauna

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Anybody using these relative to traditional? I have the space and a hookup and am considering.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: IR Sauna

Post by Sangoma » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:44 am

I think it depends on what you expect from it. IR probably has health benefits, but in terms of the actual experience it does not compare with the traditional. It may be my masochism, but the heat you get from splashing water on the hot rocks, the way you push it right into your bones with the whisk and the "burn" you get by y the ice cold water in between the goes is not possible to replicate with a few warm plates in the IR. Mind you, Finns believe that the intensity of sauna is correct only if you fear for your life a little bit. I fully agree, but it may not be for everyone.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Most of the studies on saunas have been on the IR kind. So if you're looking for the benefits touted in those studies....
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:16 pm

Yeah the health benefits seem to boil down to "The heart doesn't care how it gets elevated." The IR ones make intensity a little more difficult to understand where the "heat" limits are, and I've never actually used one.

OTOH, they're more energy efficient, less expensive, and no need to mitigate humidity than the Finnish ones. I am guessing a Finnish sauna will take about 3x the cost to acquire and install. Less enthusiasm.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 pm

I've had an IR sauna for about three years and it reaches a top temp. of 130 degrees. Now, many studies discuss the benefits of temps of 170 degrees; I don't know what that bodes for my low powered sauna.

If I were to start from zero, I'd shop for a sauna that can hit higher the temperatures.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 pm

Heat capacity of vapour is higher than that of air, that's why water splashed on the hot rocks compensates for lower temperature.

Sauna has waaay more benefits than getting heart rate up. Sweating is a big factor, adding aromatic oils to the water is another - I use eucalyptus oil most of the time. And of course the whole thing about Heat Shock Proteins. At the end of the day though the main benefit for me is the process. Our Scandinavian friends here (I believe couple of Americans as well) can testify to the sheer pleasure of a classic sauna.

If you go to sauna consistently you build specific endurance. That's why jumping into a frozen river or rolling in the snow is no big deal: your body temperature gets over 40 degrees Celsius, so cold water after feels great. I don't think you can get this effect with IR sauna, though I may be wrong.

motherjuggs&speed
Lance Cpl.

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:46 am

Was expecting a link to a Brandi Love flick but this is interesting. I can't install anything in my apt but I could get one of the portable saunas. Does anyone have any thoughts on those little tent-type ones?

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:22 pm

This is somewhat off-topic, but not entirely, I don't think.

I don't know as much as I'd like about the claimed benefits of IR, or even traditional, nor the science supporting such claims, though I think, "detoxification" as a benefit of perspiration is generally deemed conventional wisdom. (If someone has some simple, to-the-point links summarizing benefits & support, TIA.)

Recently, when I exercise, whether swinging a KB or doing some form of "sprints" on either a C2 erg, a Schwinn Airdyne or on a mini-trampoline/rebounder, I've been wearing a neoprene "sauna suit" with a couple of hoodies over it. I follow this with low-intensity continuous movement. (Usually, continuing to row at easy steady state.)

Doing this, I notice I can perspire 1-3 lbs in an exercise session. (Not doing it for weight loss, I understand it "returns" when I drink. Also, I take an electrolyte capsule most times I train this way.)

I don't have the science to back me up, but my experience is that sweating like this intensifies the endocannabinoid spike. (I feel amazing and I follow it with a cold shower.)

I've heard the term "heat shock" linked to sauna benefits and I'm wondering, exercise aside, (which of course should be beneficial in its own right,) does this heavy perspiration from exercise offer benefits similar to a sauna?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:08 pm

Heat shock protein

Health is a multifactorial phenomenon, and so health benefits of sauna are difficult to measure. Which I personally don't care about. I like being in the sauna and the after-effects - relaxation, calm, sleep, recovery from exercise etc.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Cayenne wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:22 pm
I think, "detoxification" as a benefit of perspiration is generally deemed conventional wisdom.
It is, but it's wrong.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... at/528813/

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:35 am

Thanks Spells.

Interesting.

I skimmed but have not read fully yet the article you linked.

So, is IR the latest round of Snake Oil?

Why are you drawn to it, or are you merely curious?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:54 am

There are a health-related benefits to IR sauna with scientific support, it's just that detoxification isn't one.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:02 am

Detoxification is a seriously overused term. I ask "detox experts" the same questions: name a few toxins you are supposed to detox of? No answer. Ever.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:32 pm

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:46 am
Was expecting a link to a Brandi Love flick but this is interesting. I can't install anything in my apt but I could get one of the portable saunas. Does anyone have any thoughts on those little tent-type ones?
I have been tempted to build something with a frame and fabric setup that could be adjusted in size and put away.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Would giving someone a dutch oven after consuming a sack of sliders have the same benefits as a portable sauna?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:48 pm

Quite a good book on sauna and health. Also descriptions of sauna varieties around the world. The author, Mikkel Aaland is a Finn (I think) - you can certainly trust him with all things sauna.

Sweat: The Illustrated History and Description of the Finnish Sauna, Russian Bania, Islamic Hammam, Japanese Mushi-Buro, Mexican Temescal, and American Indian & Eskimo Sweatlodge

Also the trailer for his movie project, Perfect Sweat.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Excellent, thank you!