Home gym thoughts

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

motherjuggs&speed
Private

Home gym thoughts

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:43 am

My plan is put put down the homemade lifting platform I see all over youtube and put a rack in. My question for the learned is: How cheap can I go?

Do I need the Ohio bar or can I do with less $$? I"m not going to be lifting over 400 any time soon.

This rack has good reviews on the zon. Anyone know anything about it/something better?

https://www.amazon.com/1000-Pound-Capac ... B07R82448W

Also probably getting a stationary bike. Don't know what kind though.

I'm a little lost here, so any thoughts are appreciated.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Re: Home gym thoughts

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:25 am

Those platforms made from plywood and stall mats work great. You can cheap out on the first layer of ply, but I spent a little more for the better grain wood on the top layer. Marine grade I think. Stall mat from Tractor Supply wasn't very much and is well worth it.

That rack will work fine. I'd skip on any of the cable attachments as IME they tend to be garbage on budget equipment. A band over the pull-up bar will work just as well for less than BW vertical pulling. For all of the lifting equipment I'd look at CL and see if you can find stuff locally. People are always getting rid of good stuff. If unable to find them used, I'd spend a little extra to get decent plates as well. I've lifted with those cheap sets and there was a noticeable difference in weight between the 20kg plates, to the point that the bar felt uneven when loaded. Cheap bumpers are also all over the map as far as weights.

No need for a crazy high $$ bar, but a little money spent here is well worth it. I got this bar:
https://quest-nutrition.com/collections ... 20kg-barct
works great and is $50 less than the Ohio bar. Sleeves spin smoothly and the knurl is just right. The only drawback is that there isn't any center knurling if that's important to you. Cheap bars like the ones that come with those 300# weight sets from department stores are garbage. The diameters are all wrong, the knurling will chew your hands up, and the sleeves feel like they're lubricated with sand. I've never lifted heavy enough to feel like I needed more than the simple spring collars to keep the plates secure.

A good adjustable bench is also something that will make your home gym much better. Just make sure it's sturdy enough for what you're doing. Especially in the inclined positions. You don't want the silly thing to fail during an incline press and have 4' of momentum built up in the bar when it crashes into your chest.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:16 pm

Stall mats, plywood, Texas Power bar, solid bench, NYBB rack.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:27 pm

I don't even know if you need plywood.

1 horse stall mat is enough to lift on.
2 horse stall mats lengthwise will give you padding for your rack and probably a place to deadlift from.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:04 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:16 pm
Stall mats, plywood, Texas Power bar, solid bench, NYBB rack.
Pretty much this. If you can get a rack with a dipping/chinning capacity, you've got everything you need. Otherwise, add a pair of rings. Other luxuries include a graduated set of dumbbells.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

motherjuggs&speed
Private

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:20 am

Thanks guys. I didn't think to try the horse stall mat by itself under the rack. I'll try that since I suck hard at building anything.