Why Aren't You Lifting Barbells?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Why Aren't You Lifting Barbells?

Post by Bram » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:24 pm

They were separated by 10 years.

Athlete strong was 19. I never wrestled with any training, but would go against my friends a lot as a kid and almost always lose (I was skinny until I was 19). I had done karate/tae kwon do for 4 years regularly (13-17), but was reasonably sure that nearly anyone could kick my ass, up until the point where I started lifting at 18.....or more accurately, when I put on 40lbs at 19, going from 145-185.

Oaf strong was 29 (for context I'm 41 now). I had trained BJJ for 5 years. And had been lifting consistently for 11. My weight went from 185-223.5 from 24-29 years.

I would guess that I was more well-rounded (running, sprinting, full-body training with lots of compound and isolation work) vs. specified (heavy squat/bench/deadlift and accessories to help those compounds).

----

As an aside, now my goal is to surf a lot, surf well, and not deal with overuse injuries.....so generally I'm doing lower volume and lower intensity, with a larger percentage of stabilizer work than I used to.
Be careful with your words, for someone will agree with them. Be careful of your conduct, for someone will imitate it.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Why Aren't You Lifting Barbells?

Post by Sangoma » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:18 am

Bram wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:46 pm
...and maybe the fact that I weighed 40lbs more...
Maybe... :rolleyes: