Jump rope

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Jump rope

Post by Sangoma » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:26 pm

Anybody here doing it? I decided to give it a try, and it's pretty frustrating, getting slapped by a rope and being able to d runs of les than half a minute only.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Jump rope

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:40 pm

I occasionally tell myself that I'm going to start jumping rope, then I have a few infuriating sessions and quit in a mixture of anger and failure.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:56 pm

It’s self limiting. When you get tired or sloppy you fail and can’t carry on anymore.

Practice for a short time then stop as soon as or before you start failing then come back to it later and only practice doing it well.

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:12 am

I love jumping rope. I don't have space to do it regularly right now. But it is very rhythmic, almost hypnotic activity with the sound of the rope, the jumping, all of that.

I don't like two feet or alternating feet. I do a a double left, double right pattern, so it's a series of 1,2, 1,2, 1,2 1,2 which I think adds to losing oneself in the movement.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:58 am

newguy wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:12 am
I don't have space to do it regularly right now.
Cope. Nibba you don't have like three square feet? Get a job hippie.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:59 am

aussie luke wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:56 pm
It’s self limiting. When you get tired or sloppy you fail and can’t carry on anymore.

Practice for a short time then stop as soon as or before you start failing then come back to it later and only practice doing it well.
I prefer just to rage quit and not come back.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:05 am

Sangoma wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:26 pm
Anybody here doing it? I decided to give it a try, and it's pretty frustrating, getting slapped by a rope and being able to d runs of les than half a minute only.

Any advice would be appreciated.
As a warmup the last few months on non-running days.

I learned as a kid in coached/class MA context where there’s an expectation that everybody is going to skip rope. I think that’s an extremely helpful starting point because unless you are an active athlete or very young the failure rate is too high to not be frustrating.

Some stuff that may or not be obvious:

1. A basic boxers shuffle where you shift weight from one foot to the other is more efficient than hopping or alternating feet.
2. A surface that reflects energy helps. I see boxers doing it on plywood platforms, which makes sense.
3. Bouncing with perfect timing for minutes at a time is hard, especially older and at higher body weight - I find this frustrating now. I would measure success and take breaks.
4. Rope length matters. Get that measured correctly for the shoes you’re wearing. I do fine with mine in a barefoot type shoe but in my running shoes it doesn’t work well at all.

I keep looking for decent resources and don’t see any. I would say maybe on your first day, track how long you can do on your first three tries before messing up, with a 2 min break between each. Then take 70% of the average and build up rounds of that length. Until you can do several multi-minute rounds there’s no point in learning tricks. There are YouTube channels and shit devoted to skipping rope.

I found Ross’s DVD unhelpful; it’s mostly demonstration and people need help with beginner programming. JMO.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:32 am

Actually forgot and remembered. There’s a YouTube channel called jump rope dudes with a couple annoying guys who nonetheless have a beginners program that some deconditioned people have credited with weight loss. I don’t know about that but they definitely learned to skip rope well.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:30 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:58 am
newguy wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:12 am
I don't have space to do it regularly right now.
Cope. Nibba you don't have like three square feet? Get a job hippie.
LOL.... we don't all live on a spacious plantation in the country side.....

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:37 am

Thanks, guys. At this stage I am mirroring Fat Cat's feelings: after ten minutes (during which I get to whip myself numerous times) I get a strong urge to this fucker in little pieces.

There are a few good resources on the Tube. It all makes sense until I actually start doing it. Then it doesn't.

I like these guys:

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Like I said above, there’s no point doing it beyond the point where you want to smash shit.

It’s not like say kb snatches where you can carry on muscling through with bad form and smashed forearms.

It’s not about strength or endurance (when you can only go for a minute at a time) it’s just coordination and timing.

If you practice for a bit then stop while you’re doing well, within a few days you’ll be good enough at it to actually get a workout.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:59 am
aussie luke wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:56 pm

I prefer just to rage quit and not come back.
I worked up to being able to do it for a few minutes at a time, then realised how fucking boring it is - then I never went back.

Just go for a run or play with a kb

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:04 am

I decided to make it simple - multiple repeats until mild fatigue. 15 seconds on/45 seconds off. First workout was only 7 sets: something in the right knee woke top and started hurting, so I stopped. Gradually got it to 10 repeats of 20 seconds. Finished today's workout with 1 minute set.

Nothing to brag about, but some small progress.

One observation that may be useful for someone who wants to start skipping. Make sure the rope is not too light. I first started with a light plastic rope and was struggling to make 10 jumps in a row. Then I got beaded rope, and it made a big difference. It is heavier, and I can feel the position of the rope at any time. Also, as Aussie Luke said, don't get yourself too fatigued, it is counterproductive. You start tripping too often - stop the session.

Hanglow Joe
Staff Sergeant

Post by Hanglow Joe » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 pm

I love jumping rope. I usually do it in my garage when the weather is better. I worry about shin splints doing too much, but it's great to alternate with swings.

motherjuggs&speed
Corporal

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:59 pm

Last time I did rope skipping I spent the extra for a heavy rope with the bearings in the handles (this was decades ago, they probably make something better now). Getting good rope speed without a lot of effort helps a lot when you're struggling to learn the movements. In general I think we should do everything possible to remove any difficulties that impede working the specific thing you are targeting, in this case a new skill set and fitness capacity. No need to battle the rope too.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:51 pm

I skip rope a fair amount. Usually as active recovery between sets of cals or KBs, sometimes as a stand alone when I'm traveling and don't want to hassle with finding a place to run or ride in a strange city.
Agreed about having a rope with a bit of heft to it to get the spin down easier. CrossRope has a good set of weighted ropes with nice handles/bearings.
https://www.crossrope.com/?msclkid=1f3d ... d7ec024240
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:14 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:51 pm
I skip rope a fair amount. Usually as active recovery between sets of cals or KBs, sometimes as a stand alone when I'm traveling and don't want to hassle with finding a place to run or ride in a strange city.
Agreed about having a rope with a bit of heft to it to get the spin down easier. CrossRope has a good set of weighted ropes with nice handles/bearings.
https://www.crossrope.com/?msclkid=1f3d ... d7ec024240
Bro I need to get in on your line of work......because if you can look at like 70 dollar jump ropes and be "well now....those are some ropes for skipping. I may have to pick up a few. Oh jasper, get on line and order me some. And then get the car ready. I fancy a few rounds at the country club....." then you are rolling with deeper pockets than me.

I like the lifeline jump ropes. https://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Weighte ... r=8-4&th=1

20 bucks for the 1.25 lb rope.....

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Fools will pay a lot to get their Mercedes back on the road.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:23 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:16 pm
Fools will pay a lot to get their Mercedes back on the road.
Ahhhh. That makes sense then!

One of my buddies bought a BMW. High end one. It was his first luxury car and he went all in....... then he got a flat and had to replace two tires.....it was not an insignificant expenditure.