Megareps

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

JasonC
Gunny

Megareps

Post by JasonC » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:56 pm

Last night I spoke with Dmitri Sokolov, whose “megareps” method Smet wrote about on his blog. https://girevoysportafter40.blogspot.co ... train.html

It’s good stuff because it appeals to the part of me that likes Maffetone/Mittleman/Easy Strength.

I won’t go into a ton of detail because (a) I’m still murky on certain things because of the language barrier, and (b) I don’t want to give away the parts of his method that he’s trying to sell. (It’s a little heart-rending: his current hourly rate for Skype consultations is 8 USD.)

But here’s the basic outline:

1) You do a “magic series” daily that is a lot like Easy Strength, but even lighter. (This seems to be the proprietary part, so I won’t blab. But 8 bucks isn’t much.)
2) You do “megareps” twice a week for a given exercise. It can be any endurance-type lift: pushups, pullups, snatches, jerks, whatever.

Before talking with Dmitri, I didn’t appreciate just how slowly he wants you to increase reps/weight. You start with such a light weight that you have a huge “reserve” of reps left in the tank. Like, 20. And you only add 1-2 reps/per session, so that you’re always operating inside of this huge reserve. As Smet said in his blog post, you shouldn’t ever get to the point of feeling that your muscles are getting tired and “clogged.”

Good shit. The hard part is going to be reining myself in.
leansoliddogs.blog

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Megareps

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:26 pm

1) You do a “magic series” daily that is a lot like Easy Strength, but even lighter.
Are these grinds or fast lifts?
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

JasonC
Gunny

Post by JasonC » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:35 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:26 pm
1) You do a “magic series” daily that is a lot like Easy Strength, but even lighter.
Are these grinds or fast lifts?
Fast lifts.
leansoliddogs.blog

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Dmitry is a legit guy: he has tested various methodologies on himself, long term, and reports his results. Not "how I got my deadlift from 20 kg to 570 kg in eight months" sort of stuff, but realistic results for an average working Joe. It is also worthwhile noticing his equipment. Odd bits stuck to kettlebells for extra weight, barbell plates you have likely never seen before etc. Kills excuses for lack of equipment.

Megareps seem to do wonders for my shoulders.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:54 pm

And you only add 1-2 reps/per session
You are looking at 25 - 50 sessions to move up in weight then? How many days a week do you train this? It seems.... very..... slow.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:54 pm
You are looking at 25 - 50 sessions to move up in weight then? How many days a week do you train this? It seems.... very..... slow.
That seems to be the whole point.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:51 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:00 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote:
What I'm getting at is it appears that it might take a couple years to see if you are making actual progress. The feedback loop is at least 6 months long, and that is still using extremely light weight.

newguy

Post by newguy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:51 pm
SubClaw wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:00 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote:
What I'm getting at is it appears that it might take a couple years to see if you are making actual progress. The feedback loop is at least 6 months long, and that is still using extremely light weight.
I don't think there is anything wrong taking a couple of years moving from using the 16s to using the 32s and up.

I don't remember who said it but by overestimating what you can accomplish in the short term you shortchange what you are able to do long term.

JasonC
Gunny

Post by JasonC » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:53 pm

I suspect he's holding me to especially small increments because he was horrified by my training log. (When I first tried to ape his "megareps" method, I was adding 50 reps a week, jumping up 2kg, and doing it again, every day.) That's slower than he's gone. When he started his self-experiment in Nov. 2018 at 50 reps/hand with 16kg and 12 months later was doing 100 reps with 24kg and moving on from that, always done at low, low RPE.

So why am I giving Dmitry a shot? Two reasons: First, I'm impressed by what he's done on his channel. His own pet event is the 3000m, where he's trained himself up to MS level, but he trains all these other things too, like megarep pushups and pullups and snatches and jerks. He's experimental and pragmatic, "shows his work" on his channel, and he fucking loves his training. Second, I like his training too. For me the key is, it's GS-relevant training that I can do at a low heart rate. (For me, low HR seems to be the difference between being lean and happy and getting fat, inflamed, and grouchy.) If I have a year where I go from snatching 20kg for an easy 50 to 28kg for 60+, that's already CMS. If I can pull that off with mostly training aerobically, I'll be a happy guy.
leansoliddogs.blog

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:58 pm

Festina lente.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:13 am

I don't think you're supposed to progress 1-2 reps at a time. The key as I understand it is to have good number of reps in reserve. So the progress would depend on a few things, including the weight of the bell.

So if it's 1-2 reps in Jason's case it's probably for the reasons he stated earlier.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:01 am

JasonC wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:53 pm
megarep pushups and pullups and snatches and jerks.
Megarep pull ups must be hard as fuck.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:31 am

They are not, that's the whole point: you do the unloaded version with a band(s).

Unloaded pushups really helped my tweaked shoulder. Of course, as soon as it got better I stopped doing them...

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:33 am

JasonC wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:53 pm
I suspect he's holding me to especially small increments because he was horrified by my training log. (When I first tried to ape his "megareps" method, I was adding 50 reps a week, jumping up 2kg, and doing it again, every day.) That's slower than he's gone. When he started his self-experiment in Nov. 2018 at 50 reps/hand with 16kg and 12 months later was doing 100 reps with 24kg and moving on from that, always done at low, low RPE.

So why am I giving Dmitry a shot? Two reasons: First, I'm impressed by what he's done on his channel. His own pet event is the 3000m, where he's trained himself up to MS level, but he trains all these other things too, like megarep pushups and pullups and snatches and jerks. He's experimental and pragmatic, "shows his work" on his channel, and he fucking loves his training. Second, I like his training too. For me the key is, it's GS-relevant training that I can do at a low heart rate. (For me, low HR seems to be the difference between being lean and happy and getting fat, inflamed, and grouchy.) If I have a year where I go from snatching 20kg for an easy 50 to 28kg for 60+, that's already CMS. If I can pull that off with mostly training aerobically, I'll be a happy guy.
I think you are on the right track. The only "problem" with these types of approaches is that you have to be in it for the long haul. It's not a 6 week program. And the whole everything works for 6 weeks bullshit is bullshit. You just have to keep yourself focused and moving.

And that's the other problem with these approaches. Maybe it is psychological, and maybe it is physical/biological, or both....but generally you can't "just add a rep or 2" every week. There has to be some form of variety either with in loading, movement, duration, etc.

I don't know his program and that is probably built in, but if it is not you need to be aware of it. Maybe throw in a mini competition every so often, etc.

Here I've been slagging on Pavel but he is right about this. There has to be some variation. Different but same. That sort of thing.

Can we get a link to his channel?

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:48 am

Jason, I sent you a message. Let me know if you haven't received it.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:08 am

It sounds similar to my own approach of slowly working and building the middle range of 50-70%, with a very occasional push to higher percentages. The focus being the build a daily norm, that will slowly grow. It’s worked well for GS lifts.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:52 pm

I spoke to Dmitry on VK app last night. Damn, he is one hardcore legit dude. This methodology he has developed and tested on himself and his clients is something completely new, and he deserves some serious credit for it.

It will not bring quick results and therefore will not be very interesting to coaches in professional sports. However, for the dudes who are training for long term sustainable results this method is hard to overrate. It is - in a way - similar to Pavel's idea of owning your numbers before moving on, but there are quite a few principal differences as well. I hope he writes a book, he has more than enough material to do so.

newguy

Post by newguy » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:21 am

Sangoma wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:52 pm
I spoke to Dmitry on VK app last night. Damn, he is one hardcore legit dude. This methodology he has developed and tested on himself and his clients is something completely new, and he deserves some serious credit for it.

It will not bring quick results and therefore will not be very interesting to coaches in professional sports. However, for the dudes who are training for long term sustainable results this method is hard to overrate. It is - in a way - similar to Pavel's idea of owning your numbers before moving on, but there are quite a few principal differences as well. I hope he writes a book, he has more than enough material to do so.
In your opinion what has made it "completely" new?

As far as I can see, he has this base work he calls magical sets....or something. GPP. And then in the chosen field you take a long term approach to progress.

Don't get me wrong, from what it sounds really good, well thought out, etc.

But what's in this stew that you are seeing as the unique selling point?

JasonC
Gunny

Post by JasonC » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:23 am

newguy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:33 am
Can we get a link to his channel?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwf4JA ... TejdgAodYQ
leansoliddogs.blog

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:43 am

newguy wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:21 am
Sangoma wrote:

As far as I can see, he has this base work he calls magical sets....or something. GPP. And then in the chosen field you take a long term approach to progress.

Excluding semantics - there is nothing new under the sun anyway, so technically there can be nothing "completely new" - let me give you an example of his method.

Say you want to be able to do 100 pushups. What's the usual way to progress? Most commonly recommended template is escalated density: first you get to 10 sets of 10, then 8 sets of 12, 7 sets of 15 reps etc., etc. Dmitry gets you started with high rep set - with unloaded pushups. Unloaded - pushups supported by rubber bands hooked above. The idea is to do the number of reps with 10 - 20 reps in the tank. So you start with 50 reps with two thick bands and gradually progress to 100. Then replace one band with a thinner one. And so on, till you can do them fully loaded.

What makes his teachings valuable is that he tests everything on himself. Not for couple of month (like people reporting "great results" on Q&D after three sessions) - but giving it enough time to work. With pushups he has tried several ways and eventually abandoned his project. Then he followed Megareps and is not able to do 103 pushups. And it's all on Youtube. It's probably not entirely fair to compare the two, but this is what makes him different from Pavel: have you seen the latter lift anything in the last 10 years? As I said, it's not entirely fair, but demonstrating the persistence and the results is a strong selling point. For me anyway.

GS is just another challenge for him, and he uses GS lifts to demonstrate the viability of his method. His GS technique is far from perfect, but as I said, it's just another fitness goal. He call imself a GPP coach. By the way, part of his training for 3000 m - "unloaded" runs, i.e. downhill. I think it is fairly creative and I personally never heard of training this way before.

What makes it fairly different from any other method is that it targets oxidative muscle fibers from the very start. As opposed to EDT, which first gets glycolytic fibers going first and oxidative later in a workout, when the former get fatigued. Megareps also avoids excessive acidosis and mental fatigue.

That, in a nutshell, what makes this method pretty original. In my opinion.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:05 am

Someone should try to persuade him to write an e-book.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:39 pm

Seems like he's hit on the same things that most long term athletes have discovered - it's better to push your fitness/performance higher from the bottom than it is to pull it higher from the top. In GS and high rep BW it might look like making the weight low enough that you can do all the reps at your current fitness and then slowly ad on the weight as you're able. All the way up until you're doing the entire weight.
In running or cycling it's building a big base with easy miles, and doing lots of tempo or sweet spot efforts that are still below LT but you're letting the time at the pace push your fitness up.
The opposite approach is loading up with a heavier bell or smoking yourself to failure on push-ups in the hope of pulling your fitness higher with larger than sustainable loads. With running or cycling those would be your gut wrenching intervals that make you hate life.
Both have their uses, but pulling fitness up with efforts close to max is both more injury prone and is mentally taxing to the point that it makes training a chore. For the average joe, the benefits of going to the high intensity well too many times too often is probably not worth the risk.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

newguy

Post by newguy » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:17 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:43 am
newguy wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:21 am
Sangoma wrote:

Excluding semantics - there is nothing new under the sun anyway, so technically there can be nothing "completely new" - let me give you an example of his method.

Say you want to be able to do 100 pushups. What's the usual way to progress? Most commonly recommended template is escalated density: first you get to 10 sets of 10, then 8 sets of 12, 7 sets of 15 reps etc., etc. Dmitry gets you started with high rep set - with unloaded pushups. Unloaded - pushups supported by rubber bands hooked above. The idea is to do the number of reps with 10 - 20 reps in the tank. So you start with 50 reps with two thick bands and gradually progress to 100. Then replace one band with a thinner one. And so on, till you can do them fully loaded.

What makes his teachings valuable is that he tests everything on himself. Not for couple of month (like people reporting "great results" on Q&D after three sessions) - but giving it enough time to work. With pushups he has tried several ways and eventually abandoned his project. Then he followed Megareps and is not able to do 103 pushups. And it's all on Youtube. It's probably not entirely fair to compare the two, but this is what makes him different from Pavel: have you seen the latter lift anything in the last 10 years? As I said, it's not entirely fair, but demonstrating the persistence and the results is a strong selling point. For me anyway.

GS is just another challenge for him, and he uses GS lifts to demonstrate the viability of his method. His GS technique is far from perfect, but as I said, it's just another fitness goal. He call imself a GPP coach. By the way, part of his training for 3000 m - "unloaded" runs, i.e. downhill. I think it is fairly creative and I personally never heard of training this way before.

What makes it fairly different from any other method is that it targets oxidative muscle fibers from the very start. As opposed to EDT, which first gets glycolytic fibers going first and oxidative later in a workout, when the former get fatigued. Megareps also avoids excessive acidosis and mental fatigue.

That, in a nutshell, what makes this method pretty original. In my opinion.
That's definitely a good approach and thank you for the write up.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:13 pm

Pretty solid approach.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:23 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:05 am
Someone should try to persuade him to write an e-book.
I did suggest it to him. He says he doesn't want to do it because the return on the effort is quite low. Currently he sells several courses, and this is more profitable for him. His online coaching services also make more sense to him. So the book is not on the cards in the near future.