Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Re: Megareps

Post by Ripe Turd » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:58 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:10 am
Ripe Turd wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:12 pm
Serious question: aside from high-rep competitions (pull-ups, push-ups, kb sport, etc.), why would someone train for high-rep sets?
Farmer's strength maybe? I don't know...

But maybe doing some heavy-ish reps on the minute for at least thirty minutes would be an easier and better way to attain otherwordly work capacity.
In the new S&S, Pavel writes that some Russian coaches or scientists (can't remember, I don't own the book) thought "hey, since farmers are strong, let's train them to become weightlifters, right?". It is reported that the farmers did no better than the average person. It makes sense; "farmer strong" is specific to some farming movements. On a related note, when I was younger I worked one summer on a dairy farm. There was a job where you took 2 hooks in your hands and you transferred bales of hay (maybe 40 pounds each?) all day long from the tractor to a barn. The best guy was about 5ft8 and 140-150 pounds. He was a freaking machine at this job, yet he looked like an average high schooler.
Hanglow Joe wrote: Why do you need a program? Showing up a 1/2 hour a day and doing what you're doing is great. Try it for 4-6 weeks, you're not going to get dick cancer by not following a program.

newguy

Post by newguy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:30 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:10 am
Ripe Turd wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:12 pm
Serious question: aside from high-rep competitions (pull-ups, push-ups, kb sport, etc.), why would someone train for high-rep sets?
Farmer's strength maybe? I don't know...

But maybe doing some heavy-ish reps on the minute for at least thirty minutes would be an easier and better way to attain otherwordly work capacity.
Whole body endurance/work capacity. Heavy hands....4x4 strength.....play harder and longer....android like work capacity...coach I just don't get tired anymore....all that theory and stuff.

Heavy reps on the minute are great too. They don't build the same style endurance. Now does anyone really need this style of endurance is a valid question.

It's a way of training and if you like it and enjoy it's good. But it isn't really essential to anything in and of itself.

It's sort of like running a marathon. There's no real need and there's no benefit you can't replicate with other styles or training. But if you love it and it's a passion, then YOLO.

Bennyonesix1
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Any Heavy Hands resources? Always wanted to try but never found anything to read about it.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:41 pm

Steve Justa's Rock Iron Steel is THE odd object and weird practice handbook. Almost anything off kilter Pavel talks about comes from there.

Benny, you can find Leonard Schwartz' stuff on used book sites. His books are very well grounded in science. You can also check out Clarence Bass's site as he has a few blurbs on Heavy Hands.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:43 pm

As far as "farmer strength"...Jesse John, in The Wrestling Physical Conditioning Encyclopedia (or whatever that book is) he laments that kids just don't work on the farm as much, but he does mention that his own coach also lamented this 30 years before, etc.

I'm pretty sure modern wrestlers can hold their own, so....I guess hard labor doesn't necessarily make even a strength endurance athlete.

newguy

Post by newguy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:08 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:33 pm
Any Heavy Hands resources? Always wanted to try but never found anything to read about it.
The only two resources are the leonard schwartz books, Heavyhands and Heavyhands Walking. You used to be able to get them on amazon for pennies plus shipping but I think they've gone up.

They are the type of books that on the one had they are filled with gold and ahead of their time. On the other, they really don't offer anything.

Here's the gist - at one point it was thought that the best way to develop aerobic capacity was by utilizing the legs. They have the bodies biggest muscles. Dr. Schwartz, while injured from running, researched and saw cross country skiers had the best aerobic capacity. He theorized that this was because they used arms and legs, not just legs.

So he started weighing down his hands with weights and found through many studies that the upper body was in fact able to deliver aerobic gains.

Both books are a mix of his findings in the research along with various moves and patterns.

Bennyonesix1
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:09 pm

Thanks!

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:36 am

Dmitry is really a unique guy. I regularly exchange messages with him on VK (Russian version of LinkedIn), and his knowledge impresses me a lot. I am trying to convince him to write a book, but he is not enthusiastic about it and it drives me nuts. The craziest part is that he tests various methods on himself and gives it enough time to figure out if a method is worthwhile or not. I am going to keep pressing him to at least start putting subtitles in his Tube videos.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:08 am

Sangoma wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:36 am
I am trying to convince him to write a book, but he is not enthusiastic about it and it drives me nuts.
At least he didn't tell you he would write it right after Shaf publishes his book on ladders. :finga:

motherjuggs&speed
Staff Sergeant

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:43 am

At this point I'm half tempted to write the ladders book myself.