Megareps

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Megareps

Post by Sangoma » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:18 am

I will not be surprised in the slightest if in a couple of years I hear Pavel talking this method in some new book or seminar. Protocol 100B (for 100 reps with bands) for pure pushup endurance.

motherjuggs&speed
Staff Sergeant

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:01 am

Sangoma wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:23 pm
SubClaw wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:05 am
Someone should try to persuade him to write an e-book.
I did suggest it to him. He says he doesn't want to do it because the return on the effort is quite low. Currently he sells several courses, and this is more profitable for him. His online coaching services also make more sense to him. So the book is not on the cards in the near future.
He might also be concerned about piracy. Sam Harris often mentions the problem with competing with a free version of yourself i.e. why spend the dough when you can watch it on YT for free? But then Gary Vaynerchuk says to put your best stuff out for free and that will attract more people who will pay big bucks for coaching/consultation.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:16 am

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:01 am
Sangoma wrote:
SubClaw wrote:
I did suggest it to him. He says he doesn't want to do it because the return on the effort is quite low. Currently he sells several courses, and this is more profitable for him. His online coaching services also make more sense to him. So the book is not on the cards in the near future.
He might also be concerned about piracy. Sam Harris often mentions the problem with competing with a free version of yourself i.e. why spend the dough when you can watch it on YT for free? But then Gary Vaynerchuk says to put your best stuff out for free and that will attract more people who will pay big bucks for coaching/consultation.
Rip and Wendy are so successful because people pirated the shit outta their books.

But I can understand where he is coming from.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:56 pm

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:01 am
Sangoma wrote:
SubClaw wrote:
Sam's wrong and Gary is correct, and this is particularly true in the fitness arena. He may be concerned, but it's not a remotely close call. Someone will have a megareps book out within 18 months. The book would enable higher fees for courses/consultations and position him as the expert in this area.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:01 pm

Sangoma wrote:
SubClaw wrote:
Shit, I'd maybe volunteer to be his English ghost writer for free, just to have a fun project that would acquaint me with the details of his thinking. (There's the language barrier, but there are ways around that.)
leansoliddogs.blog

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:15 am

While talking to Dmitry I mentioned Pavel's GTG method. He says he tried it and while getting stronger he got injured. Which is quite interesting, as there is mention of injuries from GTG on Strongfirst forum as well. These injuries make sense - the combination of heavy weight and increasing volume (more reps as you get stronger) is undoubtedly a recipe for that.

Dmitry insists that Megareps do not get you injured. I guess it could be due to low number of observations, but it makes sense. You never go close to the limit reps, and the load is always low relative to your max ability. The reps are also naturally cycled - start low, get to 100, then start with low again after you increase the weight. In this respect it is similar to GTG, but there is one difference, the load. GTG is supposed to be done with the weight that is heavy, while Megareps are always light. And, of course, GTG is training strength while Megareps are intended for training endurance.

In any case, I think Megareps is seriously overlooked method. The sad reality is - if Dmitry doesn't market it in a more formal way this method can be snatched by people with the established name. As I said earlier in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised to see this method presented at some Strong First seminar.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:53 am

Sangoma wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:15 am
While talking to Dmitry I mentioned Pavel's GTG method. He says he tried it and while getting stronger he got injured. Which is quite interesting, as there is mention of injuries from GTG on Strongfirst forum as well. These injuries make sense - the combination of heavy weight and increasing volume (more reps as you get stronger) is undoubtedly a recipe for that.
I like the concept of GTG, but doing random bouts of heavy lifting with no warm-ups at all is quite risky.

Maffetone's idea of 'Slow Weights' is basically GTGing Easy Strength weights, which makes more sense and it's way safer.
In any case, I think Megareps is seriously overlooked method. The sad reality is - if Dmitry doesn't market it in a more formal way this method can be snatched by people with the established name. As I said earlier in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised to see this method presented at some Strong First seminar.
All he needs is a friendly nudge in the right direction.

newguy

Post by newguy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:04 pm

Where did all you knuckleheads get the idea that GTG was meant to be heavy weights????

I always thought it was more in that magic 70% range. Or it was things like some push ups, pull ups from a pull up bar in the doorway.....that sort of thing.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:35 am

Yesterday I had an interesting observation in regards to Megareps. As you may remember, Dmitry's template for training pull-ups is to use bands. So you start, say, with two thick bands, do assisted pull-ups with them and keep going until you can do 100 reps. Then you reduce the strength of the bands - replace one of them with weaker bands, or get rid of one etc. Then build up to 100 reps again. Etc., until you can do 100 pull-ups without bands.

I haven't trained pull-ups with his method, and yesterday decided to give it a try. So I hang two quite thick bands to the pull-up bar, hook my feet and go for unloaded pull-ups. That's where I get a surprise. I can do 10 pull-ups any time, like most of you here. If necessary, I can probably squeeze out 15. So how many reps do I expect to be able to get with two bands? At least 30 - 40. To my utter surprise I could do only 15 reps.

Which got me thinking, and in view of Dmitry's previous Ypoutube videos I finally figured it out.

Endurance is determined by oxidative (slow) muscle fibers, strength is the job of glycolytic (fast) fibers. The reason I couldn't do more than 15 reps is because I have no oxidative fibers in the upper body. It makes sense, because upper body is hardly involved in any endurance activity.

So the way to 100 pull-ups is two way: 1.increase the number of mitochondria in the glycolytic muscle fibers or 2.increase the mass of the oxidative fibers. oxidative muscle has way more mitochondria, and has the capacity to maintain activity for a long time. I am guessing path number 2 will produce lasting results.

Anyway, I contacted Dmitry on VK and asked him if my conclusions are correct. He said that he had many messages of the same kind, dudes being surprised that they could do only the same number of reps unloaded as they would do without the bands.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:07 pm

So how many reps do I expect to be able to get with two bands? At least 30 - 40. To my utter surprise I could do only 15 reps.

Which got me thinking, and in view of Dmitry's previous Ypoutube videos I finally figured it out.

Endurance is determined by oxidative (slow) muscle fibers, strength is the job of glycolytic (fast) fibers. The reason I couldn't do more than 15 reps is because I have no oxidative fibers in the upper body. It makes sense, because upper body is hardly involved in any endurance activity.
This mirrors my own experiences closely. Adding a lot of relative weight on weighted chins worsened max reps unweighted, and when I was using assisted bands early on, they helped less on reps than expected. Even at the end when adding a lot of weight to fairly low BW, my unweighted pullups capped out at around 15.

How have you found this experiment now that you've been doing it a while?
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Bennyonesix1
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:59 pm

Does this goof speak english?

Does he say why he puts the bands around his waist and not chest for pushup assistance?

Does he discuss the extra training the top part of the reps receive when de-loading this way? Is that a positive or negative or unimportant. I can see it adding ip over the very long time periods involved. But it may not really matter in the end.

Does he discuss how these deloaded movements are different movements? A deloaded pullup is not the same as a pullup. Ot might be close, bit it isn't the same.

Bennyonesix1
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:03 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:07 pm
So how many reps do I expect to be able to get with two bands? At least 30 - 40. To my utter surprise I could do only 15 reps.

This mirrors my own experiences closely. Adding a lot of relative weight on weighted chins worsened max reps unweighted, and when I was using assisted bands early on, they helped less on reps than expected. Even at the end when adding a lot of weight to fairly low BW, my unweighted pullups capped out at around 15.

I couldn't crack 20 pullups until i trained the hell out of my grip and forearms. Used to annoy the fuck out of me when I'd tell people to train grip etc for pullups and they'd say nah my grip is fine. Grip may feel fine but it is the weak link in endurance stuff.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:32 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:59 pm
Does this goof speak english?
I lol'd.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:39 am

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:07 pm

I haven't. I've been playing a little with unloaded pushups, but not for long. They actually helped with buy shoulder pain. Unloaded pullups are new for me, hence the surprise.

By the way, what sparked my interest was another Dmitry's video, the comment on some of his followers' observation. Say, someone gets to 75 reps with X strength bands. So they reduce the strength of the bands and repeat the cycle. According to them if the number of reps you can do with lighter bands is under 50 it actually feels as if you are going backwards in your training. The reason being larger recruitment of glycolytic fibers and relative under-recruitment of slow twitch.

I am going to set up another way of assistance, pulleys to which I could hand some plates. This way the assistance is uniform throughout the range and is measurable more precisely.

Bennyonesix1
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:41 am

"According to them if the number of reps you can do with lighter bands is under 50 it actually feels as if you are going backwards in your training."

Very interesting. It makes sense. Pushups over 40 feel like going for a run more than lifting weights.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:12 am

newguy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:04 pm
Where did all you knuckleheads get the idea that GTG was meant to be heavy weights????

I always thought it was more in that magic 70% range. Or it was things like some push ups, pull ups from a pull up bar in the doorway.....that sort of thing.
I personally prefer to do a good warmup even before one rep of pullups.
Do not want problems with elbows.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:36 am

Smet, you should tell him to start putting some stuff out in English on his channel. It’ll ge good for us and he can make more money off westerners.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:54 am

I told him he should put English subtitles. Unfortunately he doesn't speak English, even a little.

Bennyonesix1
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:54 pm

Why doesn't he speak english?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:29 pm

I'd imagine Russian to English translation could be done for a potato.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:18 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:54 pm
Same reason you don't speak Russian.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:24 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:12 am
newguy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:04 pm

I personally prefer to do a good warmup even before one rep of pullups.
Do not want problems with elbows.
Agreed, I don't like doing them cold either.
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

Bennyonesix1
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:28 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:18 pm
Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:54 pm
Same reason you don't speak Russian.
He doesn't speak english because russian women are psychopathic?

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Serious question: aside from high-rep competitions (pull-ups, push-ups, kb sport, etc.), why would someone train for high-rep sets?
Hanglow Joe wrote: Why do you need a program? Showing up a 1/2 hour a day and doing what you're doing is great. Try it for 4-6 weeks, you're not going to get dick cancer by not following a program.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:10 am

Ripe Turd wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:12 pm
Serious question: aside from high-rep competitions (pull-ups, push-ups, kb sport, etc.), why would someone train for high-rep sets?
Farmer's strength maybe? I don't know...

But maybe doing some heavy-ish reps on the minute for at least thirty minutes would be an easier and better way to attain otherwordly work capacity.