Megareps

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Megareps

Post by Sangoma » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:18 am

I will not be surprised in the slightest if in a couple of years I hear Pavel talking this method in some new book or seminar. Protocol 100B (for 100 reps with bands) for pure pushup endurance.

motherjuggs&speed
Corporal

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:01 am

Sangoma wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:23 pm
SubClaw wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:05 am
Someone should try to persuade him to write an e-book.
I did suggest it to him. He says he doesn't want to do it because the return on the effort is quite low. Currently he sells several courses, and this is more profitable for him. His online coaching services also make more sense to him. So the book is not on the cards in the near future.
He might also be concerned about piracy. Sam Harris often mentions the problem with competing with a free version of yourself i.e. why spend the dough when you can watch it on YT for free? But then Gary Vaynerchuk says to put your best stuff out for free and that will attract more people who will pay big bucks for coaching/consultation.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:16 am

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:01 am
Sangoma wrote:
SubClaw wrote:
I did suggest it to him. He says he doesn't want to do it because the return on the effort is quite low. Currently he sells several courses, and this is more profitable for him. His online coaching services also make more sense to him. So the book is not on the cards in the near future.
He might also be concerned about piracy. Sam Harris often mentions the problem with competing with a free version of yourself i.e. why spend the dough when you can watch it on YT for free? But then Gary Vaynerchuk says to put your best stuff out for free and that will attract more people who will pay big bucks for coaching/consultation.
Rip and Wendy are so successful because people pirated the shit outta their books.

But I can understand where he is coming from.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:56 pm

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:01 am
Sangoma wrote:
SubClaw wrote:
Sam's wrong and Gary is correct, and this is particularly true in the fitness arena. He may be concerned, but it's not a remotely close call. Someone will have a megareps book out within 18 months. The book would enable higher fees for courses/consultations and position him as the expert in this area.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:01 pm

Sangoma wrote:
SubClaw wrote:
Shit, I'd maybe volunteer to be his English ghost writer for free, just to have a fun project that would acquaint me with the details of his thinking. (There's the language barrier, but there are ways around that.)
leansoliddogs.blog

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:15 am

While talking to Dmitry I mentioned Pavel's GTG method. He says he tried it and while getting stronger he got injured. Which is quite interesting, as there is mention of injuries from GTG on Strongfirst forum as well. These injuries make sense - the combination of heavy weight and increasing volume (more reps as you get stronger) is undoubtedly a recipe for that.

Dmitry insists that Megareps do not get you injured. I guess it could be due to low number of observations, but it makes sense. You never go close to the limit reps, and the load is always low relative to your max ability. The reps are also naturally cycled - start low, get to 100, then start with low again after you increase the weight. In this respect it is similar to GTG, but there is one difference, the load. GTG is supposed to be done with the weight that is heavy, while Megareps are always light. And, of course, GTG is training strength while Megareps are intended for training endurance.

In any case, I think Megareps is seriously overlooked method. The sad reality is - if Dmitry doesn't market it in a more formal way this method can be snatched by people with the established name. As I said earlier in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised to see this method presented at some Strong First seminar.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:53 am

Sangoma wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:15 am
While talking to Dmitry I mentioned Pavel's GTG method. He says he tried it and while getting stronger he got injured. Which is quite interesting, as there is mention of injuries from GTG on Strongfirst forum as well. These injuries make sense - the combination of heavy weight and increasing volume (more reps as you get stronger) is undoubtedly a recipe for that.
I like the concept of GTG, but doing random bouts of heavy lifting with no warm-ups at all is quite risky.

Maffetone's idea of 'Slow Weights' is basically GTGing Easy Strength weights, which makes more sense and it's way safer.
In any case, I think Megareps is seriously overlooked method. The sad reality is - if Dmitry doesn't market it in a more formal way this method can be snatched by people with the established name. As I said earlier in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised to see this method presented at some Strong First seminar.
All he needs is a friendly nudge in the right direction.

newguy

Post by newguy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:04 pm

Where did all you knuckleheads get the idea that GTG was meant to be heavy weights????

I always thought it was more in that magic 70% range. Or it was things like some push ups, pull ups from a pull up bar in the doorway.....that sort of thing.