Why Your Brain Needs Exercise via Scientific American

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Why Your Brain Needs Exercise via Scientific American

Post by Bram » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:28 pm

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -exercise/

I've been experimenting with beginning my clients workouts with a mix of dynamic movements (like joint circles and low-intensity martial arts drills) and finishing with a few minutes of balance and catching drills.

Was thinking it was more of a benefit for coordination, mobility, and fun, but I like the idea it could be powerful for battling cognitive decline as well.

Likewise, running on the beach has the extra stimulus discussed in the article (my preferred option where I live) versus grinding away on a treadmill/stair-mill/elliptical.
Be careful with your words, for someone will agree with them. Be careful of your conduct, for someone will imitate it.

newguy

Re: Why Your Brain Needs Exercise via Scientific American

Post by newguy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:27 am

I agree with what you are doing 100%.

The mind and body are linked. Learning new movement patterns isn't just the body. It's the mind. I think that anyone who is getting older needs to be very deliberate about adding new skills, mental and physical. And anything that gets you outside and social has added benefits. Running on the beach. Hiking. Dancing.

And keeping the basic movements going as well. Being able to do a smooth deep BW squat. Being able to lunge. Jump. A handstand. A somersault.

It seems to me like when I watch people get old, it is always in the body AND the mind. And a lot of times in that order.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:15 am

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Thanks for the support newguy :)

And I love the video of the older gentleman. Lot of inspiration in there.

Had my 76 year old client today do the following at the end of his workout:

Stand on one foot and catch and return a bouncing stability ball
Stand on one foot and dribble a stability ball, then stand on one foot and dribble it from hand to hand
Kick and trap a stability ball with each foot

Took about 5-6 minutes, but he had a good time and it worked his balance well.
Be careful with your words, for someone will agree with them. Be careful of your conduct, for someone will imitate it.