Jeffersson /straddle DL

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

T E M P O
Staff Sergeant

Jeffersson /straddle DL

Post by T E M P O » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:49 am

Anyone have some opinions/experiences on jeffersson deadlift? There isn’t a whole lot of info on them on the internet. I ‘m especially interested in how to include Jeffersson DL in a program.

I am thinking of doing conventional DL deadlift one day one week and then Jefferson DL (and kb cleans) one day the next week. Could that work without getting weaker in conventional?

Conventional PR is 180 kgs (BW 83) since a couple of years and I probably could put on a few kilos. I am old and not very concerned about increasing my max there. I don't want to get weaker though. I typically train conventional DL 160kg x 5/4/3/2/1, and some singles or doubles at 170kg.

I recently started with Jefferson DLs as well. I do Jefferson with notable hinge (PR 160kg on the safe side). They are just cool. And I want to do them :mmmgood: . But my lower back can’t take both DL forms in a single week.

What do you think, could such an alternating Jefferson/conventional approach work?

(I don't train GS as well, occasionally do some low rep LCCJ for fun and cardio)
1 lb = 0,454 kg, 200 lb = 91 kg, 300lb = 136kg

Boris

Re: Jeffersson /straddle DL

Post by Boris » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:50 pm

When I'm feeling 'bent', lifts like kettlebell windmills, 'Russian Hockey Deadlifts', and the Jefferson lift w. kettlebells seem to help me reset.

Other than that, I'm not really a fan, but if you have the right build, it might be all right.

As far as maintaining strength as you age, yeah maybe it's an option. If I were just trying to maintain a deadlift, I might consider 3 DL sessions/2weeks with one of them being regular (heavier) DLs, and the other 2x being (necessarily lighter) RDLs, Axle DLs, grip variants, Jefferson lift, etc.

Russian Hockey Deadlifts: https://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/07/ru ... lifts.html

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:43 pm

The thing with shit like this is ... could it work? Sure.....maybe. Could it not work....sure...maybe.

It doesn't sound completely crazy. Maybe you need to deadlift more than once every two weeks to maintain that lift. Maybe you don't?

Just try and see. If the deadlift goes down....then you'll know.

My thought is if you keep up with some squatting you should be fine deadlifting every other week. But my other thought is your body, your mind. If you believe it's going to work it probably will. If you go in thinking it may not work or your not committed to the path...then it probably wont.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:07 pm

Trap bar lifts might be all you need.

T E M P O
Staff Sergeant

Post by T E M P O » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:09 am

Thanks!

Boris: In practice, it might turn out to be 3 back sessions/ two weeks. With one harder conventional DL session every 2nd week I can do more of the other low back lifts I like Jeffersons, kb-cleans, swings, high pulls, a few more squats... I don't have access to axle dl, would like to try that. The hockey dl looks cool will try that.
Subclaw: I Think you are right about the trap bar... But don't have access to to that either. Train at a chep gym chain, ok free weights but limited. The upside is that it is really next door. I even had to donate some kb.s to them (people only use them for side bends though).
Newguy: I like your way of reasoning. There are so many variables to consider, so predicting is difficult. In worst case, If conventional DL gets weaker I just go back to my old routine and regard this as deload period. Some training variation is probably good prehab as well.

PS: I will report back here how it turned out. Please, let other opinions on Jeffersson keep coming.
1 lb = 0,454 kg, 200 lb = 91 kg, 300lb = 136kg