Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Squat Assistance Exercises

Post by Sangoma » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:40 am

SubClaw wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:41 am
Take a hint from Alan Thrall:

Really? I think what he is describing as stiff leg DL is actually a conventional deadlift. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the setup I have been taught by the Starting Strength instructor couple of years ago: start with the bar projecting over the middle of your feet, bend your knees until the shins touch the bar, from there - no more knee bend, only the hinge, so the legs do stay stiff throughout most of the lift.

Correct me if I am wrong.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:59 am

Sangoma wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:40 am
SubClaw wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:41 am
Take a hint from Alan Thrall:

Really? I think what he is describing as stiff leg DL is actually a conventional deadlift. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the setup I have been taught by the Starting Strength instructor couple of years ago: start with the bar projecting over the middle of your feet, bend your knees until the shins touch the bar, from there - no more knee bend, only the hinge, so the legs do stay stiff throughout most of the lift.

Correct me if I am wrong.
As far as I know:

- A stiff legged deadlift is just a conventional pull from the floor, keeping the hips as high as possible (which generally means the back is completely horizontal). In some cases, like mine, individual anthropometry makes the two virtually indistinguishable.

This shows Alan Thrall's starting position for the conventional and the stiff pulls: exactly the same, except the hips height.

- A straight leg deadlift is another beast altogether: the movement starts from the top and you let the barbell float in front of you (as opposed to touching the shins) as you VERY carefully round your lower back and let the load mimic the toe-touching stretch.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:36 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:06 pm
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:39 pm
We both do hip belt squats using two blocks, about the size of a box squat box. Cheap as fuck. 40KG is probably good for something. in the hi rep category (25 plus).

https://www.amazon.com/Spud-Loading-Oly ... 3281&psc=1

The straps is cheap and takes regular plates. You have access to our doors....dig a hole.
This may reveal my own stupidity but this product in your link is like a strap loading pin...you still need to buy a hip belt? Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Weight-Lif ... VB02D224R4

Or is this more like the old dipping belts, that it goes around your waist and then attaches to the weight(s)?

For blocks, I was thinking just stand on two cinder blocks? Does that make sense?

Yes to all of the above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urc627ZvB5A

can't vouch for the material but the set up is what I use. I have access to a belt squat machine and still prefer standing on boxes. Jack is the same.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:22 pm

Thank you!
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:44 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:36 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
We both do hip belt squats using two blocks, about the size of a box squat box. Cheap as fuck. 40KG is probably good for something. in the hi rep category (25 plus).

The straps is cheap and takes regular plates. You have access to our doors....dig a hole.
This may reveal my own stupidity but this product in your link is like a strap loading pin...you still need to buy a hip belt? Like this:

Or is this more like the old dipping belts, that it goes around your waist and then attaches to the weight(s)?

For blocks, I was thinking just stand on two cinder blocks? Does that make sense?

Yes to all of the above.

can't vouch for the material but the set up is what I use. I have access to a belt squat machine and still prefer standing on boxes. Jack is the same.
The ass meat on that chick at 4:17...

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:26 am

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:44 pm
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:36 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

Yes to all of the above.

The ass meat on that chick at 4:17...
Patrician taste.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:10 pm

I never found anything that helped my squat besides variations of the squat, until I found belt squats as BD mentioned.
Box squatting, pause squatting, and squatting belt less very deep helped my single ply IPF meet squat.

I did some Bulgarians barefoot to work on pro-Rio period after injuries but that didn’t make me stronger or bigger.

The belt squat on boxes is an endless cave of self discovery and pain. Working to a max set of 12, doing 3 sets of 20, even occlusion work has been a very eye opening and low cost way to strengthen and condition my legs and horrify my neighbors.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:31 pm

LOL K...I was watching videos about the belt squat setup so I'm warming up to the idea, although it will cost me $300 or so to get up and running.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:33 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:31 pm
LOL K...I was watching videos about the belt squat setup so I'm warming up to the idea, although it will cost me $300 or so to get up and running.
Or, you can always swallow the bitter pill and do BBB for a few months. Those 5x10 assistance squats are enlightening, trust me. :finga:

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:59 pm

"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:16 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:33 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:31 pm
Or, you can always swallow the bitter pill and do BBB for a few months. Those 5x10 assistance squats are enlightening, trust me. :finga:
I believe it's reflected in my log that the first four months of 5/3/1 I did the Boring But Big template, liked it, and I agree it's a great way to go. I am totally fine doing that again, but the way the current template is written it suggests (for squat day):

-Squats 3/5/1
-Leg Press 5 x 10
-Hanging Leg Raises 5 x 20

Perhaps it would be a good idea to just do the BBB style approach, since I have neither the leg sled nor the belt squat setup right now. I'm still amateur hour at squatting, so I don't see what harm it could do.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:33 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:59 pm

For reaper.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:20 am

Definitely more sold on the belt squat idea now. Just finding 2 boxes/platforms of the same height in my gym isn't easy.

newguy

Post by newguy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 am

McCallum loved the hip belt squat.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:14 am

newguy wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 am
McCallum loved the hip belt squat.
*ahem*

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:50 am

Luke wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:20 am
Definitely more sold on the belt squat idea now. Just finding 2 boxes/platforms of the same height in my gym isn't easy.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:07 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:50 am
Luke wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:20 am
Bingo.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:02 am

If safety is correlated to predictable outcomes, then that looks pretty safe to me.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:09 pm

Had my first run of the Spud Inc belt squat setup BD posted at a commercial gym I train at tonight.

To get height I stood on the steps of the chin up station. It gave me adequate depth, except the steps were slightly wider than my stance. I felt like I was doing Hatfield squats though my positioning took a bit of altering to really feel it in my legs. When I go to the "hardcore" gym I'll try the landmine variation(s).

The hack squat machine at the commercial gym appears to hit my quads more at this early stage of using the belt - but the belt & pin are definitely great tools to have for when I stay away from there (which is often). Also, you can't beat being in a normal squat position and getting the work in without the back really being involved.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:00 am

I found when I had trouble coming up from the bottom, then Bulgarian split-squats helped: 3-4 sets x 8-15 reps each leg.

Then for a while I found myself falling forwards in the squat, alternating two weeks of squats with two weeks of good mornings/trap-bar deadlifts helped with that: 3-8 sets of 3-5 reps for the good mornings, 3-8 sets of 1-5 reps for the trap-bar.
Last edited by Bram on Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Thanks, Bram. Did you enjoy your cyber-gulag?

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:16 pm

It happened randomly at the same time as being the most depressed I'd been in 20 years, but about 3 weeks ago something switched and I got a shit ton of energy and motivation.

Happy to scale back my usage, as social media has been one of my time sucks the past 5 years - along with YouTube and video games. The latter two of which I successfully have eliminated or made tolerable.
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:56 am

Why were you depressed?

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:33 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:56 am
Why were you depressed?
Bird legs

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:22 pm

loooooool