Consistency over intensity

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Consistency over intensity

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:00 pm

Subclaw

Question 1: That happens organically, especially if you aren't a fast twitch monster. It's not necessarily 'better' to do 5 sets instead of 3, it's just 'more'. The fatigue stop can be a 3% or even a 10%...it's part of finding your way, and it's part of surfing the wave of fitness/fatigue for that exercise, at that moment in time. In a similar situation, I've gotten 8-10 sets one week, then a few weeks later I got 2....you have to not be stuck in the 'more is better' type mindset, and trust the process.

Question 2: That is also a viable way to do it. Let's say sets over 90% 1RM fuck you up...then this is a fine way to get volume in that matches your readiness for that day.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:13 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:00 pm
Subclaw

Question 1: That happens organically, especially if you aren't a fast twitch monster. It's not necessarily 'better' to do 5 sets instead of 3, it's just 'more'. The fatigue stop can be a 3% or even a 10%...it's part of finding your way, and it's part of surfing the wave of fitness/fatigue for that exercise, at that moment in time. In a similar situation, I've gotten 8-10 sets one week, then a few weeks later I got 2....you have to not be stuck in the 'more is better' type mindset, and trust the process.

Question 2: That is also a viable way to do it. Let's say sets over 90% 1RM fuck you up...then this is a fine way to get volume in that matches your readiness for that day.
Thanks, Shaf!

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:15 am

SubClaw wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:47 am
- You work up to a top set of 500x5@9. Then you follow the -5% guideline and start doing sets with 475 until @9 is achieved. And, for the sake of the argument, let's say you did just three sets until the prescribed fatigue level kicked in. Wouldn't it be useful to try and increase the number of -5% sets in subsequent sessions until you can do, I don't know, five sets (or ten, or whatever) before the workout is over?

- What if you did an initial set of 475x5@6 and then kept pounding the same load until @9 was reached, with no back-off sets?

A handy chart to help you on your auto-reg quests if you're coming from percentage-based programs. Obviously not tailored completely to the individual, but as a frame of reference...

Source:
  • Beginning RTS
https://articles.reactivetrainingsystem ... nning-rts/

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:39 am

Luke wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:15 am
SubClaw wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:47 am
- You work up to a top set of 500x5@9. Then you follow the -5% guideline and start doing sets with 475 until @9 is achieved. And, for the sake of the argument, let's say you did just three sets until the prescribed fatigue level kicked in. Wouldn't it be useful to try and increase the number of -5% sets in subsequent sessions until you can do, I don't know, five sets (or ten, or whatever) before the workout is over?

- What if you did an initial set of 475x5@6 and then kept pounding the same load until @9 was reached, with no back-off sets?

A handy chart to help you on your auto-reg quests if you're coming from percentage-based programs. Obviously not tailored completely to the individual, but as a frame of reference...

Source:
  • Beginning RTS
https://articles.reactivetrainingsystem ... nning-rts/
Oooooh... I like this!