Zero to One Mile Swim

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Zero to One Mile Swim

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:06 pm

A while back I had an equipment failure in a kayak where I figured I'd better be able to swim pretty well. I'd done some Total Immersion swimming for freestyle and sidestroke, but switched to a running program for getting some cardio in when I felt like I wasn't really making a lot of progress on building distance in the pool.

Part of the preference was just that having a program is good. It turns out with the popularity of triathlons there are solid beginners programs to build up to a mile swim, and in only 6 weeks.
http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html

I am finding what the author claims, that a lot of bad habits self-correct with distance. Also, swimming slowly feels a lot less weird than running very slow, so it's easier to keep HR in a Maffetone zone. Recommended.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Zero to One Mile Swim

Post by nafod » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:54 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:06 pm
A while back I had an equipment failure in a kayak where I figured I'd better be able to swim pretty well.
Glad you were able to swim to safety

Last edited by nafod on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:06 pm

Where do you kayak? A lake?
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:14 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:06 pm
Sometimes rivers, but mainly on Lake Michigan, which isn’t the Pacific but people surf in the fall and winter.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:49 pm

I understand the lake is unfrozen this year. Been out paddling through the winter?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:34 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:14 am
Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:06 pm
Sometimes rivers, but mainly on Lake Michigan, which isn’t the Pacific but people surf in the fall and winter.
Understood. People die in bathtubs, so certainly being a strong swimmer is critical, lake or otherwise. You do wear a PFD right?
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:26 pm

Yeah, I always wear one, and dress for immersion. You should also have a buddy but that's not always possible for me. I can roll a kayak if I capsize, but the conditions under which I fail, and have to exit the boat, are also those where I'm likely to get separated from it or can't get back in.

With the PFD, drowning is less of a risk than hypothermia. We have kayakers around here and Milwaukee die every year, usually having done something careless, but it's also often when they are close to shore/boat where a strong swimmer with a PFD may have survived. I've had a couple instances where rescue gear didn't work as intended, nobody's getting back in the boat, and it could have been serious.

Honestly a handheld marine radio that clips to a PFD is common among guides, and is probably a good idea, but being able to put in a 30-60 minute effort of continuous swimming is too.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:48 pm

We had to do practice swims with survival gear in Navy flight training. How you swim with a buoyancy assist is a different technique from a free swim, so it'd be worth doing laps with a PFD to experience it.

We sidekicked, breast stroked, or back stroked. Use the legs for the push, arms to guide. Slow and easy wins the race.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:58 pm

Can you glide in all that? I swim in jammers now, which was a pretty huge difference from trunks. In open water, with a drytop and PFD, it seems like it would be hard to do any amount of real gliding, unless it's just for pacing.

Navy teaches a sidestroke variation to BUD/S candidates that was developed by the Total Immersion guy, but they apparently switch from a scissor kick barefoot to a flutter kick with fins for most of their swims.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:41 am

just An update on this, it’s extremely doable and is something everybody should probably do. Even 30 minute sessions building up distance makes a huge difference, and YouTube for tips helps smooth out issues. I was a poor enough swimmer to be concerned and am sure I could do a triathlon this year.
“nafod” wrote:I understand the lake is unfrozen this year. Been out paddling through the winter?
Missed this earlier. Got a kayak last August that I’m not quite acclimated to yet for reliable rolling. Winter paddling may get on the menu once my youngest is a little older. Thinking of building a Frej from Bjorn Thomassen if I get ambitious now that I have a garage. Tighter fitting boats feel a lot safer.