Decline Bench Press

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Decline Bench Press

Post by Luke » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:33 pm

Read a Westside article in which Louie advocates. On here IIRC some users don't feel quite as positively. I never do it.

Powerlifting context: Yes or no?

newguy

Re: Decline Bench Press

Post by newguy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:35 pm

Luke wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:33 pm
Read a Westside article in which Louie advocates. On here IIRC some users don't feel quite as positively. I never do it.

Powerlifting context: Yes or no?
Maybe?

What was the reasoning for advocating them?

I haven't done them since high school and don't see myself ever doing them again.

Hanglow Joe
Staff Sergeant

Post by Hanglow Joe » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:57 pm

Waste of time. Shortened range of motion if you lower to the natural chest position.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:18 pm

Horizontal benching using an aggressive arch always felt like decline.

newguy

Post by newguy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:56 pm

I didn't read the article but I'm assuming it has to do with the arched back and bench shirt. Declines probably simulate that to an extent.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:35 pm

Louie: "When benching, one moves in different angles. Years ago many powerlifters trained on mild inclines and declines and seldom used a flat bench—Doug Heath and Gary Drago, two powerlifters, for example. Westside uses both for its bench training. Close and wide grip are used along with at least two settings on the incline or decline."

I don't know whether the matrix was just throwing this stuff at me the other night, but seems the Metal Militia dudes did/do the same.

"Decline: Grip (Pinky Finger On Ring)
For decline we work up to a 5RM with all sets done for 5 reps. Total sets = 5
The more you arch on the bench press the more valuable the decline will be."

newguy

Post by newguy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:25 am

I don't arch when I bench.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:12 pm

I like dumbbell decline presses for pectoral mass. It's one of the few movements I've seen rapid change with.

Aside from that, I also like putting a 25# plate under the end of the bench and doing slight decline 'tilt' benches. It changes the angle just a bit, it seems to take some stress out of the shoulder, and poundages are simlar to that of the regular bench press

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:26 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:12 pm
I like dumbbell decline presses for pectoral mass. It's one of the few movements I've seen rapid change with.

Aside from that, I also like putting a 25# plate under the end of the bench and doing slight decline 'tilt' benches. It changes the angle just a bit, it seems to take some stress out of the shoulder, and poundages are simlar to that of the regular bench press
I always wondered why incline and especially decline presses seem to be shoulder friendly.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:34 pm

It opens more space around the acromion process, IIRC

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Is there much difference between decline bench and weighted dips?

Dips make more sense to me. Have never tried decline barbell bench, but that sounds awkward AF. Decline DB bench is alright but also a pain once things get heavy, specially if you can’t just drop them at the end.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Hanglow Joe wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:57 pm
Waste of time. Shortened range of motion if you lower to the natural chest position.
Disagree completely with this

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:21 pm

aussie luke wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Dips make more sense to me. Have never tried decline barbell bench, but that sounds awkward AF. Decline DB bench is alright but also a pain once things get heavy, specially if you can’t just drop them at the end.
Dips are probably a superior exercise, although loading gets a bit problematic eventually as well. Trainees with beat to shit shoulders often have to omit dips from their exercise selection

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:00 am

Cheers Shaf

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:40 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:21 pm
Dips are probably a superior exercise, although loading gets a bit problematic eventually as well. Trainees with beat to shit shoulders often have to omit dips from their exercise selection
I can understand why dips are hard on the shoulders (I don't have that problem, though), but one of the most prevalent complaints regarding dips is... sternum pain? WTF!!!

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:28 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:21 pm
aussie luke wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:21 pm

I’ve never been able to bench more than bodyweight on a bar without injuring my pathetic shoulders, but can do dips no problems and no sternum pain either.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:25 am

I’m focussing on hypertrophy lately, so I’ve dropped flat bench in place of decline dumbbell benching and incline barbell benching.

When I say decline dumbbell - I mean dropping the bench about five degrees below it’s horizontal position. A very slight decline. I definitely feel it in my chest more.

From a powerlifting context, the only thing that makes sense is to bench in competition style. Flat dumbbells are hardly more specific than decline dumbbells. Which one do you feel more, and therefore is going to build more supporting muscle?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:17 pm

BJ, why did you go for that over dips? To me, dipping is probably the most complete pressing movement for hypertrophy.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:48 am

I dip as well. For the purposes of hypertrophy I don’t think any on their own are sufficient. I do some dumbbell benching, incline barbell benching, dips and flies.

Bennyonesix1
Sarge

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:41 pm

Three exercises that worked for me as in taught my stupid dumb sleepy pecs to fire

Gironda dips

Wide grip pushups hands rotated out away from midline

1-arm decline db bench with opposite hand on the pec and yes this is shameful and dirty but it works for stupid dumb sleepy lazy pecs or for mine idk you shouldn't have read this poast at all let alone all the way to the end.

newguy

Post by newguy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:17 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:41 pm
Three exercises that worked for me as in taught my stupid dumb sleepy pecs to fire

Gironda dips

Wide grip pushups hands rotated out away from midline

1-arm decline db bench with opposite hand on the pec and yes this is shameful and dirty but it works for stupid dumb sleepy lazy pecs or for mine idk you shouldn't have read this poast at all let alone all the way to the end.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Bennyonesix1
Sarge

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:26 pm

I wish the decline db 1-arm pec stroking groaning presses didn't happen but they did.

motherjuggs&speed
Staff Sergeant

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:17 pm

I recently bought an electric shaver. WTF does this have to do with decline benching? you ask. Considering the direction this thread is going, it's relevant. If I neglect to shave for a few days, a surprising number of guys start calling me "sir".

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:27 am

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:17 pm
I recently bought an electric shaver. WTF does this have to do with decline benching? you ask. Considering the direction this thread is going, it's relevant. If I neglect to shave for a few days, a surprising number of guys start calling me "sir".
As opposed to ma'am?