COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by Shapecharge » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Perhaps this is the right thread to talk about maybe a group Skype session where we virtually workout together like in the military where we each take turns calling out exercises and cheer each other on and help each other through this. Obviously without any clothes on since we'll be in the privacy of our own homes.

Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:06 pm

Luke wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:06 am
Boris wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:45 pm
Luke wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:18 am
I went to the park the other night to do some bodyweight stuff. WAAAYYY more people than the gym in the general surrounds, but I guess open air and all...

In light of this maybe going on awhile, I might splash some cash on squat stands, weights, plates...I can't get down with progressing - or even maintaining - on some of the body weight/makeshift weight stuff going around social media. No disrespect to strength coaches.

Worth it or should I save my money and wait it out. Dunno.
For my home gym, the essentials are a barbell, some plates, a squat rack, some kettlebells, and a place to do pull-ups. Even if I did all this on the cheap, I'd want to spend $500-$1000 for that. I think it's worth it, but if money is tight, then now isn't the time.

Right now, if I was just trying to get by and not waste any money, I'd get some bands. If there was one fitness guru I'd like to give a big sloppy wet kiss to, it'd be Dick Hartzell. I'll be honest, all the bands I've ever bought have been from elitefts and they've been good to me over the past 20 years or so, but I'll try to kick some money Dick Hartzell's way the next time I order (which might be today).
https://flexband.myshopify.com/collections/all
https://www.elitefts.com/shop/accessories/bands-1.html
I have a few 2nd hand deals I want to pair with these stands https://samsfitness.com.au/racks-cages- ... uat-stands - I could have cancelled my gym membership already - didn't think to look.

Can definitely afford it...but it's the not knowing part of the equation right now that's eating at me. But not working out is also making me very unhappy. I have thought about just getting dumbbells and doing all the old timey strongman stuff with bodyweight work I always knew was good for me, but could never be assed doing (i.e. pull ups and lots of them).
Those are really nice squat stands, and I don't know what prices are like in your neck of the woods, but here I'm sure I could find something more than adequate for half the cost (and to be fair, I have ZERO plans to lift anything over 315 anytime soon), leaving $$ for plates, barbell, etc.

That said, it looks like home fitness equipment vendors are making bank right now.

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:55 pm

Honestly, I'm disappointed. I have all the time in the world to train right now, yet I don't know what I should do.

I mean, I could train 3 times a day since I've been laid off and I mostly have to stay indoors.

I thought here, IGx, would be the place to learn the secret training programs of the chosen elites. :rock:

I have heard time and time again of the Werwulf system... <<<<q

Yet, in a time of crisis, all I see is a forum flooded with seeahill's posts about talking walks in the woods and doing lung tests with a ladyfriend... :sperm:

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:03 am

Boris wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:06 pm
Those are really nice squat stands, and I don't know what prices are like in your neck of the woods, but here I'm sure I could find something more than adequate for half the cost (and to be fair, I have ZERO plans to lift anything over 315 anytime soon), leaving $$ for plates, barbell, etc.

That said, it looks like home fitness equipment vendors are making bank right now.
They really, really are...I got a 10k tax return today...

Do I go here:
- https://gymdirect.com.au/products/squat-bar-holder
^ it's rated to 400kg which is a departure from the other cheaper stands on the market

- https://gymdirect.com.au/collections/ol ... kage-price
^ Bar included and that weight + a few additional plates could keep me going plenty.

Boris

Post by Boris » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 am

I might go w. this rack instead - it looks more solidly built for $50 more: https://gymdirect.com.au/collections/sq ... squat-rack

The bar + plates seem a tad expensive ($500), but if it's decent quality it's probably worth it.

It's been a while since I've priced out a set, but a cheapo 300 pound set (barbell and plates) can be found for $100-$200 sometimes in sporting good chain stores around here - quality of the bar and plates aren't so good w. them though.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:03 am

Boris wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 am
I might go w. this rack instead - it looks more solidly built for $50 more: https://gymdirect.com.au/collections/sq ... squat-rack

The bar + plates seem a tad expensive ($500), but if it's decent quality it's probably worth it.

It's been a while since I've priced out a set, but a cheapo 300 pound set (barbell and plates) can be found for $100-$200 sometimes in sporting good chain stores around here - quality of the bar and plates aren't so good w. them though.
Unfortunately in Australia this stuff is usually way overpriced. Like I was trying to bargain with a guy who had 315lbs in old plates and a bar down from $450 second hand! Offered him $300 and he acted like I slapped his daughter. The irony is when this passes there will be a glut of people trying to offload the shit they bought during this... So I'm trying to take a longer view and see if this could save some gym visits eventually...and let me train outdoors as well.

All of the warehouses are reporting high demand; you're right, they're killing it. The imminent danger is going into a UK style national lockdown - Dr's are talking next week - and not being able to get my hands on anything if these business have to close...

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:44 pm

Well, society made the decision for me. Every warehouse around is out of stock and websites are suspending orders/inquiries. 3 weeks ago I went to one in person and sat around with the sales guy who's on the national bench press team, and talked training and gear for 40 minutes. Didn't seem like there was anything much for him to do. They've taken the phone off the hook now.

Going to use bands, bodyweight and find some odd objects in the bush behind my place to carry around.

Boris

Post by Boris » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:25 pm

Yeah, same thing happened here. If you don't have equipment by now, you're screwed. I think here you could still get some things, but the longer you wait, the less chance they're going to have anything at all...

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:05 am

I got kicked out of the ocean yesterday while surfing a semi-hidden spot by park rangers, and threatened with a 1000$+ fine and/or jail time.

So today I skated/carved a hill ~30 times and walked back up.

I'm hoping I'm not going to have to resort to visualizing the sports I like to do, but I'm planning for that to be the case if we go full lock-down.
Be careful with your words, for someone will agree with them. Be careful of your conduct, for someone will imitate it.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 am

Guess I missed the point of this thread...I took it to mean: how do you exercise when gyms, martial arts studios, parks, beaches, etc. are closed?

....don't come in contact with people who have it, practice a lifetime of taking care of yourself (including now), be lucky with good genes and a clean health history.
Be careful with your words, for someone will agree with them. Be careful of your conduct, for someone will imitate it.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:29 am

Don’t believe everything you think.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:19 pm

Bram wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 am

....don't come in contact with people who have it, practice a lifetime of taking care of yourself (including now), be lucky with good genes and a clean health history.
Ventured out to the grocery store the other day. Got there right when it opened since I figured the stock would be best and the store the cleanest.

Standing in line was a herd of obese undesirables who obviously hadn't given a second's worth of thought to their or anyone else's health in their entire lives. Many would walk up while finishing the last of their chain smoking opportunities for the next 20 minutes.
Nearly all would pull out gloves and a home depot dust mask before walking in. Cause now is the time to start caring.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Hanglow Joe
Staff Sergeant

Post by Hanglow Joe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Dinged my back, it's fixed but now thinking I'm going to let it heal for a month. Been doing 30 days of Yoga with Adriene on Youtube. She's a cute Alyssa MIlano lookalike albeit with snaggleteeth. It's been working wonders for me. Throw in a 4 mile walk and I'm done. Low impact. Hopefully don't get dick cancer after a month not lifting a weight

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:33 pm

Bram wrote:
Guess I missed the point of this thread...I took it to mean: how do you exercise when gyms, martial arts studios, parks, beaches, etc. are closed?

It's all on the table, brah. How to stay fit. How to not be easily susceptible to illness. Good home fitness products. Whatever.

And ya, basically, your second sentence pretty much nails it.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:35 pm

nafod wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:29 am
Here’s actions to take.

https://necsi.edu/respiratory-health-fo ... 9-outcomes
Very nice.
nafod's gay article wrote:
Recommendations

Aerobic exercise. Before infection aerobic exercise is recommended to strengthen cardiovascular health. Once infected, during the period of mild symptoms, moderate daily aerobic exercise can improve lung ventilation. Such exercise may benefit immune function as well [10]. Ideally, do this exercise outdoors or with open windows or otherwise well ventilated areas. In sufficiently warm climates, longer walks or even running may improve lung capacity. Jumping jacks, jogging in place, or dancing can be done even in small spaces.

Keep windows open where temperatures allow. It is best for airflows to be outward, and surely not to allow airflow from an infected individual toward spaces where uninfected individuals are present [5]. This has two benefits: (1) allowing any viral particles present in the air to exit the room, rather than you (or someone else) breathing them back in; (2) bringing more oxygen into the room—helpful for the lungs and all-around health. If the weather in your region is cold, consider opening the window at least a small amount while also running a heater. Air purifiers may also be helpful.

Spend time outdoors (without approaching others within 6 ft. [11]). Balconies, back yards or patios, are good locations to be, as well as walks while avoiding proximity to others. This has the same benefits as keeping windows open—ensuring exhaled viral particles don’t get re-inhaled.

Breathe in through the nose. Breathing through the nose helps clean incoming air, via cilia (small hairs) and mucous membranes, thus creating a shield against disease. Nasal breathing also warms and moistens incoming air.

Deep breathing. Deep breathing and exhalation bring fresh air in and can improve lung capacity. We typically breathe in and out only a fraction of our lung’s capacity. Expelling viral particles from the more stagnant areas of the lung may further decrease self-exposure to viral particles. Deep breathing is often recommended for health and well being and can be done multiple times a day on a regular schedule.

Additional lung health practices. Many additional exercises can be found for enhancing respiratory health. See Rush University Medical Center recommendations [12] for more nuanced exercises.

Clean surfaces and wash clothing and bedding. Frequent washing removes viral particles that are deposited on surfaces and clothing and prevents exposure or reexposure.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:23 am

nafod wrote:
Here’s actions to take.

https://necsi.edu/respiratory-health-fo ... 9-outcomes
Concise. Easy to follow and implement. Great.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:20 am

Usually this time of year i already started training outdoors, but now don't know if it good idea or not.
Still training indoors :)

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:52 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:20 am
Usually this time of year i already started training outdoors, but now don't know if it good idea or not.
If you are training outdoors away from people ( a yard, and empty field, etc.) then it is more than likely okay and possibly a very good idea. If you are touching anything other people might have touched, wipe it down.

If you are training outdoors in a crowded park then it is a bad idea.

I could be wrong, but I don't see being relatively alone outside as a danger factor and the benefits of breathing fresh air outweigh the relatively small risks.

I am personally avoiding walking the local biking paths where a lot of homeless people live off the sides. I am also avoiding the walking paths where a lot of people tend to walk.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:09 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:20 am
Probably a way the infection moves in the lungs is it gets expired when you breath out, and then you breath it back in to different parts of the lungs. So being outside and not recycling the air is probably A Good Thing.

We're on Stay At Home orders now, with clearance to go out for outdoors activities while avoiding be close to people.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:49 pm

nafod wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:09 pm

We're on Stay At Home orders now, with clearance to go out for outdoors activities while avoiding be close to people.
We're under the same orders here. Shelter in place but can exercise outside. I've said fuck it and taken to indoor riding full time and do my KB/BW and go for walks outside. I've read on the local bike boards that the drivers have gotten even more aggressive than usual with cyclists and there have been a few muggings as the animals south of the city find easy targets what with single cyclists out alone.
I'll train like a mofo and hopefully when this situation gets better hit the outdoors even stronger than before.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:30 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:33 pm
Bram wrote:

It's all on the table, brah. How to stay fit. How to not be easily susceptible to illness. Good home fitness products. Whatever.

In all seriousness I'm trying the "Classic Conditioning in Ten Movements" template from Dan John's "Can You Go" book. It's a basic "do this" template over 4 weeks that you can repeat basically forever, with increasing weights.

I'm also running or rucking a few times a week.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:42 pm

Ripe Turd wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:30 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:33 pm
Bram wrote:

In all seriousness I'm trying the "Classic Conditioning in Ten Movements" template from Dan John's "Can You Go" book. It's a basic "do this" template over 4 weeks that you can repeat basically forever, with increasing weights.

I'm also running or rucking a few times a week.
Care to summarize the program?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:10 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:49 pm
nafod wrote:

We're under the same orders here. Shelter in place but can exercise outside.
Of course I found on tick on me after rucking on our local mountain yesterday. He hadn't sunk his fangs in yet, the fucker.

Wife, dog, and neighbor have all been kicked in the shins by Lyme disease. Wonder if it can cross-pollinate with COVID-19.

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:23 pm

As the name says, there are a total of ten movements (press, row, swing, squat, plank, a few hip flexor stretches and loaded carries). Most days alternate a strength move (press, swing, goblet squat, etc.) with a stretch.

2 days a week are strength focused (think DeLorme), 2 days a day are rest, the other days are "cardio" or "tonic" workouts.

Dan John writes "It’s simple stuff, and nothing I’ve included is original. The goal is to follow the plan and strive for mastery, beauty and elegance in the training sessions. This kind of programming is excellent for anyone over about twenty-eight, or anyone looking for an uncomplicated approach to full-body training."

You could use BW, barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, I don't think there's any in particular mentioned in the book.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:58 pm

nafod wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:10 pm
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:49 pm
nafod wrote:

We're under the same orders here. Shelter in place but can exercise outside.
Of course I found on tick on me after rucking on our local mountain yesterday. He hadn't sunk his fangs in yet, the fucker.

Wife, dog, and neighbor have all been kicked in the shins by Lyme disease. Wonder if it can cross-pollinate with COVID-19.
Don't know but the last thing you want is to catch tick disease AND the covi. That's like instant death.