COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

newguy

Re: COVID-FIT: Survive the Chinese AIDS

Post by newguy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:59 pm

Ripe Turd wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:23 pm
As the name says, there are a total of ten movements (press, row, swing, squat, plank, a few hip flexor stretches and loaded carries). Most days alternate a strength move (press, swing, goblet squat, etc.) with a stretch.

2 days a week are strength focused (think DeLorme), 2 days a day are rest, the other days are "cardio" or "tonic" workouts.

Dan John writes "It’s simple stuff, and nothing I’ve included is original. The goal is to follow the plan and strive for mastery, beauty and elegance in the training sessions. This kind of programming is excellent for anyone over about twenty-eight, or anyone looking for an uncomplicated approach to full-body training."

You could use BW, barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, I don't think there's any in particular mentioned in the book.
Sounds basic and solid.

motherjuggs&speed
Staff Sergeant

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:04 am

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:49 pm
I've read on the local bike boards that the drivers have gotten even more aggressive than usual with cyclists and there have been a few muggings as the animals south of the city find easy targets what with single cyclists out alone.
My libertarian and conservative biases are in favor of a law, or addendum to the law, such that a person who takes criminal advantage of a state of emergency does not get the usual due process. Summary execution works here. In practice it would give cops a license to kill so here's what I propose. Any citizen can shoot anyone who is committing certain crimes (mugging, burglary, etc.). If he does not have a solid, good faith reason to believe a crime is being committed he gets prosecuted. But if it is deemed credible then there's no criminal or civil liability. Basically deputize everyone, or maybe make there be some hurdles for people to qualify but have there be a lot more people around who don't have the authority to hassle people, cite them, investigate, anything else except stop felonies in progress. My thought is that if a mugger looks around and sees no cops he's going to try it. But if he knows that not only his target but anyone else around might shoot him, he might think twice. I don't know if this has been tried.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:37 pm

Turns out being obese, or even over-weight puts you in some jeopardy;

In the new report, seven in 10 patients admitted in intensive care units in the United Kingdom with coronavirus were those who are obese or overweight.

The team from the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre studied all admissions to critical care units in the UK. They reviewed in detail, the first 196 patients who were placed in critical care and found that those who developed severe illness was 63, and a seven out of 10 cases were males.

For instance, in the report, 56 patients had a BMI of 25 to 30, considered overweight, while 58 had a BMI of 30 to 40, and 13 had a BMI of 40 above.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:08 pm

To be fair, 7 in 10 people in the UK and US are obese anyway, so............
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:13 pm

Nice, David Swenson just put these up.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:43 pm

The David Swenson videos, especially the 45 minute one, are all time favorites.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:54 am

Thanks for posting Turd. I've never done the Swenson sequences. Definitely going to sub these in for my usual yoga routine and give them a go.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:52 am

I don't know if odin is still on the forum, but I think he used to do the WIm Hoff exercises daily. I wonder if something like it could be beneficial? I don't know much about these except it involves long breaths under cold showers?
Hanglow Joe wrote: Why do you need a program? Showing up a 1/2 hour a day and doing what you're doing is great. Try it for 4-6 weeks, you're not going to get dick cancer by not following a program.

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:13 pm

Ripe Turd wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:52 am
I don't know if odin is still on the forum, but I think he used to do the WIm Hoff exercises daily. I wonder if something like it could be beneficial? I don't know much about these except it involves long breaths under cold showers?
If a covid zombie shakes your hand, then you lick your fingers, then they sneeze in your face, it won't help. But then probably nothing but mannatech would at that point.

However, deep breathing and cold water are good for your general health, and the deep breathing is especially good for your lungs. And anything that is good for your general health will help.

It's a matter of degrees and percentages. A healthy person with a strong immune system will be able to resist a level of the virus, or recover from a case that would sink an less healthy person.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:32 am

Something I've been working on, because I have almost unlimited free time right now....

Being aware of what makes me feel good afterwards. And what makes me feel unfulfilled after.

Feel Good

Nature
Video Chatting with Family, Friends, and Clients
Working Out
Skateboarding
Watching "Good" Television (Tiger King is trashy, and Ozark is preposterous, but I was invested in their stories)
Meditation
Chores
Video Training Clients/Working
Online Dungeons and Dragons via Roll20.net (no joke, started a campaign with my friends and it is super fun)

Unfulfilled

News
Video Games
Social Media Consumption (sharing something meaningful to me feels fine...this could even be a dumb, but funny, post)
Smoking Weed

Basically being a lump feels like shit, and being engaged feels good.
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:58 pm

Might interest some of you: https://www.strongfirst.com/how-to-trai ... t-a-virus/

edit: the tl;dr is:"Do moderate dynamic aerobic exercise; Avoid overtraining with any type of exercise."
Strongfirst articles now feel like buzzfeed clickbait :-k
Hanglow Joe wrote: Why do you need a program? Showing up a 1/2 hour a day and doing what you're doing is great. Try it for 4-6 weeks, you're not going to get dick cancer by not following a program.

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:28 pm

I made a couple videos for the team. I don't know if anyone here will find it useful or not, but my girls have been given a micro-band so they're doing what they can without access to a pool.
Light band work + stretching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UIft28-CNs&t=326s

riotboo

Post by riotboo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:13 pm

Thanks for sharing, Boris. I picked up a couple of things I will add to my daily band work.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:36 pm

Boris wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:28 pm
I made a couple videos for the team. I don't know if anyone here will find it useful or not, but my girls have been given a micro-band so they're doing what they can without access to a pool.
Light band work + stretching:
For Boris.
Last edited by Fat Cat on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:04 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:36 pm
For Bobo.
I don't know what that means.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:29 pm