Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Post Reply
User avatar
newguy
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2517
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:32 am

Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by newguy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:46 pm

Hello!

I haven't had or shopped for a heart rate monitor for many years. Back in the day I would just buy the cheapest polar chest strap/watch combo available. Decided it was time to pick one up again and lo and behold, I don't think they make it anymore. (The simple strap/watch combo.) They seem to be all apps and shit.

Anyone have good recs for something simple, and cheap, and works well.

I slightly prefer having a watch so I don't have to look at my phone while walking.

User avatar
JasonC
Gunny
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by JasonC » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:42 pm

I used to use the Polar FT1, a bare-bones model that now goes for $85(!!--I think it used to be a lot cheaper). It was usually good, but sometimes it would get wonky.

I'm about to upgrade to the Polar H7 (also about $85) because it will track HRV.
leansoliddogs.blog

Boris
Top
Posts: 1550
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by Boris » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:09 pm

I have a Polar H10 (looks like $83 on Amazon right now) - I've had it for about a year. Love it.

User avatar
newguy
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2517
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:32 am

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by newguy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:01 pm

Yeah the bare bones FT1 is what I had and I was pretty shocked to see it for 85.

I guess if I want one I'll be looking at spending around 80-90 dollars.

I'll take a look at the H7 and H10.

Thank you gentlemen.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21217
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:15 am

I've got the H7 and the OH1.

I use the H7 for HRV/RHR readings
I use the OH1 for training now, since it's a lot less hassle than the H7. The OH1 is an optical on that goes around your forearm or upper arm (or other places)...it's more useful for me for rucking and cardio due to it's more forgiving placement.

User avatar
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4961
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:13 am
Location: The Usual Gang of Idiots

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:50 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:15 am
I've got the H7 and the OH1.

I use the H7 for HRV/RHR readings
I use the OH1 for training now, since it's a lot less hassle than the H7. The OH1 is an optical on that goes around your forearm or upper arm (or other places)...it's more useful for me for rucking and cardio due to it's more forgiving placement.
How's the accuracy of the OH1? I've got a Garmin GPS running watch that takes optical HR off the wrist and I haven't been that impressed with the HR function. Way too much variability even within a consistent effort. When it flakes out, it invariably reads way too low.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

User avatar
newguy
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2517
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:32 am

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by newguy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:01 am

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:15 am
I've got the H7 and the OH1.

I use the H7 for HRV/RHR readings
I use the OH1 for training now, since it's a lot less hassle than the H7. The OH1 is an optical on that goes around your forearm or upper arm (or other places)...it's more useful for me for rucking and cardio due to it's more forgiving placement.
Is the hassle component just the placement?

User avatar
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 11255
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 pm

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 am

Looked hard at this months ago and ended up resolved to spend some money. Happy with the socshe rhythm+, but I would turn to CL or eBay if you want an older chest strap model that is cost effective.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

User avatar
newguy
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2517
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:32 am

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by newguy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:38 am

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 am
Looked hard at this months ago and ended up resolved to spend some money. Happy with the socshe rhythm+, but I would turn to CL or eBay if you want an older chest strap model that is cost effective.
The only current reason I would use it is because I'm starting up rowing again. My old concept 2 computer/monitor thing is broken. So I use the HRM to regulate the session. (Row x minutes at x HR).

I don't use it for anything else.

User avatar
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6978
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by Sangoma » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:15 am

Polar H10. Very stable, never drops out because of excessive movement. Also compatible with most devices.
Image

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by aussie luke » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:02 pm

Wahoo tickr and phone app. Works with running watches and C2 rower too (PM4/5)

User avatar
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4961
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:13 am
Location: The Usual Gang of Idiots

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:28 pm

aussie luke wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:02 pm
Wahoo tickr and phone app. Works with running watches and C2 rower too (PM4/5)
That's actually the route I'm going to end up going, but didn't want to suggest it here because it's not a stand alone deal.
I have a Wahoo bike computer and a Wahoo smart indoor trainer that both blue tooth the Ticker strap.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

User avatar
dingleberry
Manpussy Apprentice
Posts: 1225
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:58 am
Location: Directly above the center of the earth

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by dingleberry » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:03 pm

I bought a Garmin Fenix 3 refurb at Amazon. I have a chest strap from an old Garmin Forerunner that syncs up. That takes care of the wonky wrist sensor.

Bonus is you can download hiking maps to your wrist and it will direct you when taking a new route in the woods.
nafod wrote:I do find I am spending more and more time in the bathroom in the morning, just staring at myself and wondering if I am pretty.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21217
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:55 pm

newguy wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:01 am
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:15 am
I've got the H7 and the OH1.

I use the H7 for HRV/RHR readings
I use the OH1 for training now, since it's a lot less hassle than the H7. The OH1 is an optical on that goes around your forearm or upper arm (or other places)...it's more useful for me for rucking and cardio due to it's more forgiving placement.
Is the hassle component just the placement?
yes, the chest strap can be problematic with rucking sometimes and also with some weight training.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21217
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:55 pm

and really, the ease of use of the OH1 is it's chief strength.

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21217
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:57 pm

The H10 gets great reviews from all who use it that I actually know. The H7 can have be a bit
noisy for whatever reason.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by aussie luke » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:28 am

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:28 pm
aussie luke wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:02 pm
Wahoo tickr and phone app. Works with running watches and C2 rower too (PM4/5)
That's actually the route I'm going to end up going, but didn't want to suggest it here because it's not a stand alone deal.
I have a Wahoo bike computer and a Wahoo smart indoor trainer that both blue tooth the Ticker strap.
I went through a few different polar chest straps and had trouble with all of them picking up interference from my running shirts/static - it always ended up displaying my running cadence instead of HR

Wahoo strap instantly fixed this

Regretfully I sold mine along with my rower

User avatar
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21099
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Post by Turdacious » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:14 am

I have a Polar H7 that's about four years old. Works well.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Post Reply