Dynamic Warm-Ups

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Dynamic Warm-Ups

Post by Bram » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:54 pm

Right now, I feel working on improving my dynamic warm-ups has the greatest capacity for helping me as a surfer.

I thought I'd share my current favorite, list some resources, and hopefully hear from you all here on your favorite warm-ups, mobility drills, etc.

Running in Place x 15-20 seconds
and
Jumping Jacks x 10-15
3 rounds

Broomstick Overhead Squats or Squats with Hands Behind Head x 10-15
and
Arms Locked Out Push-Up Hold, then Step Forward with One Foot, Return Foot to Start, Step Forward with Other Foot x 10 each side
and
Round 1: Leg Swings Forwards x 10-15 each leg, Round 2: Leg Swings to Side x 10-15 each leg, Round 3: Leg Swings to Back x 10-15 each leg
3 rounds

I've done a bunch of random shit: Tai Chi, Capoeira, Ba Gua, Qi Gong, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Gymnastics...all of which contain some cool drills.

Ba Gua Tea Exercises

Ginga Variations from Capoeira

Surfer Warm-Up with 3x World Champ Mick Fanning

"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

newguy

Re: Dynamic Warm-Ups

Post by newguy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:21 pm

My warm up is generally simple joint mobility starting at the neck and working down
Then I do the open hips/knees sequence from YRG.
I am going to add a few reps of a KB clean and press and a few reps of a goblet squat.

My next phase is to do the same thing at cool down.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:27 pm

I have the YRG video sitting right across from me (it was a gift to my late father), but I've never watched it. I'll pop it in. Thanks for sharing!
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 pm

The YRG Stand Up video is really good, although I do an abbreviated version which cuts about 10 minutes off.

My favorite, although it doesn't do much for the shoulders: https://stream.foundationtraining.com/p ... te-workout
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:06 pm

Pushups/deck squats/leg raises/swing my arms around

2-3 circuits of whatever feels good probs 10/5/10/whatevs

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:43 am

Maxwell's Daily Dozen plus a few minutes of Original Strength resets do the trick nicely.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:01 am

Decided to go down the rabbit hole of "martial arts warm-ups" on YouTube.

I like some of this lady's drills: the finger shaking, the wrist rolls from the boxer position, and the emphasis on gentle neck movement.