Hill Sprints

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

newguy

Re: Hill Sprints

Post by newguy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:32 pm

Just run faster for different segments of your normal run.

Look at it this way, your not running as fast as you can for the whole run. You can go faster. So at this point, the problem is not developing "more speed." The problem is developing the strength and endurance to hold a faster speed for a longer duration. And the easiest way to do that, with the least problems, is to just practice going faster for longer times during the regular run.

Being able to run faster for longer will do more for you "feeling fast" and being fast than sprints will.

Hill sprints can help this but won't replace it, and with your lifting you are better off just integrating them into your regular running anways.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:30 pm

"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

motherjuggs&speed
Staff Sergeant

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Speed is built by speed work. Speed endurance, special endurance, improving times on longer runs, these are all different things. FC wants speed.

newguy

Post by newguy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:04 pm

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:55 pm
Speed is built by speed work. Speed endurance, special endurance, improving times on longer runs, these are all different things. FC wants speed.

Do we know this?

Meaning do we know that the great cat is looking for raw 100 meter speed?

Or does he want to go out for his regular runs and feel and be faster during them?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:19 pm

newguy wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:04 pm
motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Do we know this?

Meaning do we know that the great cat is looking for raw 100 meter speed?

Or does he want to go out for his regular runs and feel and be faster during them?
Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:01 am
Let's say closer to the 100 m.
We know this.

I will continue to do LISS running and hiking in the mountains, and add one day a week--at least at first--where I do some sprint repeats on the hill where I live, which is very steep.

Bennyonesix1
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:27 pm

Dude. The consensus is that hill sprints are the wrong tool for the job. Find a gentle downhill grade and do your speed work there. Lengthen that stride and increase that turnover.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:15 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:27 pm
Dude. The consensus is that hill sprints are the wrong tool for the job. Find a gentle downhill grade and do your speed work there. Lengthen that stride and increase that turnover.
I am struggling to see how running downhill is going to improve my speed running uphill. Is that really your position?

Bennyonesix1
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:26 pm

Well no. If your goal is to run faster up steep hills then do not spend time running downhill.

If you have been asking all along "how can I run faster up steep hills?" I am going to take a dump right here in my living room and chimp out.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:35 am

For the sake of your carpet, I will run down a hill this weekend.

Bennyonesix1
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:38 am

Not too steep! Gentle incline. Really gentle.

newguy

Post by newguy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:03 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:15 pm
Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:27 pm
I am struggling to see how running downhill is going to improve my speed running uphill. Is that really your position?
Serious question -

Are you trying to run faster uphill or run faster on a flat 100 meter?

Unless your a track star everything will work to some extent, but some tools will give you better bang for your buck.

Running down a very gentle slope does a lot to improve your foot turnover and helps you develop more speed in your regular runs.

I differ from bennyuno in that I do not think short (100 meter) downhill running/repeats helps much. (I think that is his position.) I think long stretches on a gentle downhill grade are extremely effective, especially if they level off into a flat and you work to keep your speed going as you hit the flat. These are best if they are incorporated into your regular run.

If your goal is to get stronger running up the hills then do hill repeats. You will get faster going uphill. It will help you feel stronger, but it won't really make you faster during your regular runs or for a flat 100 meter sprint. If your goal is to build that flat 100 meter sprint then you need to work that. That is going to be sprint repeats, lots of rest in between. And those don't really do a lot to make you faster during your regular runs. They help some in that you are stronger, but it's an energy system thing.

Both of those are strength work and should be programmed and treated as such.

Bennyonesix1
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:59 pm

i just think he should replace hill sprints with running downhill if he is going to do hill sprints.

Losing a lot of weight is the most direct path to running faster.

Only reason he (anyone) should run Uphill is to get better at running uphill. Prob not even the best tool for that.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder » Sat May 02, 2020 5:04 am

If you're overweight, strapping on some sort of weight vest and simply walking would be good.

It could be fun to simply do what you can do and toss in a few more each week. When you get to 12-15x, you will be good. This does get old quickly unless you're the type of person who likes such things.

I do hills perhaps 2x every three weeks.

The last three sessions have been -
- 15K with 6x600m hills tossed in the middle - walk down
- 5x2 minute hills - jog down recovery
- 8x3 min hills, jog down recovery
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.