Thumb Position When Doing Shoulder Mobility Exercises

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Cayenne

Thumb Position When Doing Shoulder Mobility Exercises

Post by Cayenne » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:16 pm

Several years ago, I believe it was Steve Maxwell, had a mobility routine that included, IIRC, arm circles in both directions, etc. I believe he made a point about the direction of the thumbs while doing this for shoulder health

Obviously, I only have a vague recollection of this fine point, but I'm especially interested. as I do some of these sort of movments with light HeavyHands.

Anyone know what hell I"m talking about that can elaborate on this please?

motherjuggs&speed
Staff Sergeant

Re: Thumb Position When Doing Shoulder Mobility Exercises

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:21 pm

The only thing I'm aware of is that some Indian club vids I've seen emphasize keeping the thumb lined up with the club to allow for better club movement (not clenching it) and also to facilitate fuller shoulder extension. One also emphasizes keeping a heels together feet angled out stance to create a more open chest position, which induces the shoulders being down and back vs the hunched shoulders we want to avoid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:31 pm

I know what you're talking about, Cayenne. It's on Steve Maxwell's original Joint Mobility Recharge DVD, which a quick search tells me isn't easy to find anymore. The point he makes is that by having the thumb lead the movement you get both external and internal rotation of the shoulder(s) and turn an essentially mindless exercise (arm circles) into a more mindful one.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:52 pm

What Fats said.