How's everyone's diets been?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

How's everyone's diets been?

Post by Bram » Sat May 09, 2020 4:13 pm

I'm taking a course on positive psychiatry and they talk about a few things I found surprising

1) Diet is the number one cause of early death.

2) There's a huge correlation between diet and mental health. Basically eat whole foods, lots of vegetables, fruit, olive oil, fiber-rich foods, etc. and avoid processed foods, added sugars, etc. This is to reduce depression, anxiety, and so on.

3) There's a sizable correlation between your hippocampus size and dietary habits in older adults. Your hippocampus is related to learning and memory, but also psychiatric disorders.

4) These effects are irrespective of weight. So even if your weight is ideal, what you eat matters.

I did not, as typical, research this shit, so feel free to argue the validity of any of it.

So with that prelude, how are you all eating?

I've been a fiend lately, so it's been fruits, veggies, whole grains, olive oil, a bit of meat/chicken/fish, lots of beans, nuts, etc.

My downfalls over this time period have been a bit too much alcohol (occasionally with a lot of margarita mix) and for a while I was getting greasy breakfast burritos from my local cafe, which I've since cut out.
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

newguy

Re: How's everyone's diets been?

Post by newguy » Sat May 09, 2020 4:56 pm

Mine's been decent. I've tended to skip breakfast which for me is a mistake. Lunch is usually a smoothie with a lot of fruit, almond milk, and whey and a peanut butter sandwich. Or the sandwich and a few pieces of fruit.

Dinner is whatever we cooked with a heaping serving of veggies.

Where I got loose was baking and snacking on something sweet at night. I'm cutting that out and moving it back to the weekend.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Sat May 09, 2020 5:06 pm

Last year my diet is a complete shit.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Sat May 09, 2020 5:07 pm

But sport results are progressing.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Sat May 09, 2020 5:08 pm

From time to time i buying chocolate.

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Sat May 09, 2020 5:21 pm

Damn Billy do you need money for food? Or is it the typical Russian diet?
Hanglow Joe wrote: Why do you need a program? Showing up a 1/2 hour a day and doing what you're doing is great. Try it for 4-6 weeks, you're not going to get dick cancer by not following a program.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Sat May 09, 2020 5:22 pm

But Josh Dunn said i am looking now stronger than i was when trained GS, so diet is working :)

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Sat May 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Cooking more than I ever have in my life plus eating less in general, and if my wife will stop baking chocolate chip cookies I might even come out of shutdown with visible abs.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Sat May 09, 2020 5:29 pm

Ripe Turd wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:21 pm
Damn Billy do you need money for food? Or is it the typical Russian diet?
Not typycal for sure :)
Well... i live alone, do not want spend much time on cooking.

In the morning i eat sandviches with tea - first meal.
There in the pot is soup with meat - it is second meal.
In the evening i am cooking some cereal porridge, or if do not want to cook anything this day just buy cottage cheese and mix it with bananas - it is third meal.

Some time i buy apples or bananas or chocolate.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Sat May 09, 2020 5:44 pm

I went from Boomhauer to Hank Hill over first month or so of the lockdown. Cutting calories by eating slow cooked meals for breakfast and lunch and eggs and veggies for dinner now.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:02 am

Same. Carnivore. Cut red meat down to a pound a day and ipped the fat via 1/2 and 1/2 and butter. And some almond butter.

No booze since start of Lent. Don't like to drink when I'm anxious and never do it alone.

Quit Snus and metab slowed down noticeably.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe » Sun May 10, 2020 3:33 pm

For me it's the booze. If I'm not drinking my diet is good, but if I am, it's a disaster. So far nothing since last Sunday and weight is moving downward and workouts are great

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon May 11, 2020 12:34 am

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:27 pm
Cooking more than I ever have in my life plus eating less in general, and if my wife will stop baking chocolate chip cookies I might even come out of shutdown with visible abs.
Hahah, chocolate chip homemade cookies might be more important :happiness:

Nice job on the eating! Any good recipes you've made?
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon May 11, 2020 12:35 am

Sounds like everyone's doing pretty good!

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Mon May 11, 2020 12:38 am

Bram wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:34 am
The Ginger Beard Man wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:27 pm
Hahah, chocolate chip homemade cookies might be more important :happiness:

Nice job on the eating! Any good recipes you've made?
I’ve mostly kept it simple. Steaks, pork chops, burgers, chicken breasts. Usually with roasted vegetables, baked sweet potatoes, sometimes sautéed greens.
But I made a chicken curry one night, and Syaigh sent us a box of duck breasts, duck leg confit, and foie foie gras and I used the legs for a nice cassoulet. I was very proud of that one.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon May 11, 2020 4:21 pm

Ahhh cassoulet, so damn good

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon May 11, 2020 5:29 pm

My diet, in terms of quality, is always excellent. Recently I've started counting calories and grams of carbohydrate and the, ahem, edifying thing for me has been being forced to come face to face with how many calories I consume in the form of booze. It's practically it's own food group. As of yesterday, I'm down 10 pounds since the beginning of April, so there's something to be said for just being conscious of my behavior.

Also, do we need a food drive for Bill?
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Mon May 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:29 pm
Thanks guys, but my empty fridge it is result of my lazyness, not lack of money :)

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon May 11, 2020 7:58 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
My diet, in terms of quality, is always excellent. Recently I've started counting calories and grams of carbohydrate and the, ahem, edifying thing for me has been being forced to come face to face with how many calories I consume in the form of booze. It's practically it's own food group. As of yesterday, I'm down 10 pounds since the beginning of April, so there's something to be said for just being conscious of my behavior.

Nice work! It's a good feeling when you put the effort in and you get the results. Booze is a tricky one, there's a lot of excuses to add it in. Hahah, I'm glad Bill's just lazy :happiness:

newguy

Post by newguy » Mon May 11, 2020 8:32 pm

Fat Cat wrote:

Is it just consciously reducing or do you have a general calories/carbs per day goal?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon May 11, 2020 9:11 pm

<60 g carbs, and shooting for a 500 calories deficit but usually end up with closer to half that. I have computed an approximate maintenance of 2,770 and shoot for 2,270. But I don't stress much about the deficit, if I'm -50 at the end of the day I call that a win as I'm headed the right way.

For me, just actually tracking what goes in has been a real advancement, so I'm just letting the knowledge slowly shape my behavior rather than trying to force it. I actually give credit to Tom Furman for his "you can't outrun a donut" line because, although junk food isn't my thing, it's a very concise reminder that you'll never get the body you want if you aren't diligent with diet. Like the Gehl Architects slogan, "you measure what you care about."
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill » Tue May 12, 2020 3:00 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:11 pm
<60 g carbs, and shooting for a 500 calories deficit but usually end up with closer to half that
I assume you use an app to count calories. Which one?

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill » Tue May 12, 2020 3:06 am

I've been trying to slowly lose weight since March 1. Currently down just shy of 15 pounds. I shoot for 1900 calories a day, about a 500 calorie deficit. I don't really care about macros and eat what I like. Thankfully I don't like sweets, fast food, or anything highly processed. I like fruit but probably could stand to eat more vegetables. 100 to 300 calories most days in booze.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe » Tue May 12, 2020 10:42 am

Finally starting going in the right direction.

@seeahill congrats.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Tue May 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Same as usual. Lots of greens, roasted veggies, and beans, and root veg/squash/potatoes. Rounded off with a healthy dose of fruits and nuts.
Been hovering around my old racing weight without too much effort, which is surprising because my power keeps improving on the bike.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.