Was Dr. Greg Ellis Right About Everything?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Was Dr. Greg Ellis Right About Everything?

Post by Fat Cat » Thu May 14, 2020 9:01 pm

I don't know how many of you remember the good Dr. Greg Ellis, diet and nutrition guru to such fitness stars of yesteryear and Steve Maxwell. He was actually a contributor on DragonDoor and was one of the reasons they started their nutrition subforum. Anyway, he was so obnoxious and abusive to anyone who challenged him that he ended up getting run off the forum, which in a way was too bad, because he was extremely knowledgeable.

Because I've been focusing more on diet of late, I revisited his book Ultimate Diet Secrets (https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Elliss-Ultima ... y+S.+Ellis) and it got me wondering. Did the good Dr. Ellis have it right all along? His basic approach is:

1. The first law is caloric balance; you must reduce calories to lose weight and increase them to gain weight. Nothing can change this.

2. The second law is that a low carbohydrate, higher fat diet is the easiest way to use a reduced calorie diet because it is the most satisfying and the most healthful, and because it promotes a shift to lipolysis in the body's chemistry. He recommends 60-80 g per day as the most sustainable level, while acknowledging that fewer would be preferable. His sweet spot is 13% of total caloric intake: figure out your Base Metabolic Rate for your target weight, multiply x .13, then divide by 4 to reach the number of grams of carbohydrates you should take in daily. So for me, 2270 total calories, 295 calories of carbohydrate, or 73.7g would be his sustainable recommendation.

3. Zero carbohydrate diets take things too far and are not sustainable for most people, not because they are unhealthy (they're not), but because they require too much self denial for most people.

4. Despite the conventional wisdom of the day, that exercise is not an important component of weight loss, he argues it is because it allows one to eat a comfortable number of close-to-maintenance calories, and then nudge the body over the line into weight loss by burning additional calories on the margins and improving body composition. It also is, obviously, good for other health markers as well.

After that, his recommendation is:

1. Get mean drunk.
2. Shitpost on the web.
3. ???
4. Profit

So far, I've lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks following his recommendations (by accident), and he seems to have covered the bases very well in that he takes a compromise position between a lot of more extreme ones and provides a great deal of science to support his ideas. Does anyone ever consider his work anymore?
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Was Dr. Greg Ellis Right About Everything?

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri May 15, 2020 5:06 am

He's going to show up like Beetlejeuce if this thread goes on too long.

http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/nutrition ... ition.html
I am the most knowledgable person in the world about the biochemistry of nutrition.
Greg drank deep from the fitness guru cup.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

newguy

Post by newguy » Fri May 15, 2020 2:39 pm

Greg Ellis..... I wonder what he is up to now?

He wasn't wrong. He knew his stuff.

And, despite questionable photo fashion choices, he maintained a great physique.

But, to throw it out there, you can get all the benefits of lowering your calories without ever worrying about carbs. The snickers and vodka diet will leave you thin. And possibly happy.

Are carbs even a factor?

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Fri May 15, 2020 2:50 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:06 am
He's going to show up like Beetlejeuce if this thread goes on too long.

http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/nutrition ... ition.html
I am the most knowledgable person in the world about the biochemistry of nutrition.
Greg drank deep from the fitness guru cup.
Thanks. I'd forgotten what a savage Peachy could be.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri May 15, 2020 3:13 pm

Ellis jumped on the bandwagon a bit early.

Hofmekler and he just missed the boat for making lots of money with a diet book.

But overall his strategy is as valid as anything else out there. He was just a maniac

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 15, 2020 5:34 pm

Newguy, who are you? Obviously you've been around a long time, under what name? PM if you don't want to say here, I'm genuinely curious.
newguy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:39 pm
And, despite questionable photo fashion choices, he maintained a great physique.
The suspenders kill! \:D/
newguy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:39 pm
Are carbs even a factor?
He argues strongly that yes, they are an important factor. They don't trump the calorie balance, which is his First Law, but radically reducing carbohydrate will allow your body to control hunger, improve its ability to break down fat, and have a generally positive metabolic effect such as reducing the potential for: obesity, cardiopulmonary disease, dental caries, high blood pressure and stroke, diabetes mellitus, certain types of cancer, etc.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 15, 2020 5:37 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:13 pm
Ellis jumped on the bandwagon a bit early.

Hofmekler and he just missed the boat for making lots of money with a diet book.

But overall his strategy is as valid as anything else out there. He was just a maniac
The interesting thing about Ellis is first that he walked the walk and while he was an absolute madman, a true megalomaniac, his approach was actually a very intelligent compromise between more entrenched positions (e.g., vegetarian vs. carnivore, high carb vs. high protein, count carbs vs. count calories). Whereas his personal style was black and white, I think his 100/100 nutrition approach was pretty sensitive to human nature and humane in its approach.