Masks and lung function

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Masks and lung function

Post by Turdacious » Fri May 22, 2020 3:47 am

Having strong enough lungs is just as important as having a mask to wear if you have to go outside. Though wearing a face mask (along with social distancing) is essential in slowing the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, masks themselves can make it more difficult for you to breathe, especially if you have preexisting respiratory conditions. Some even fear that they will lead to hypercapnia, or too much carbon dioxide (CO2), in the bloodstream.

"Our lungs allow for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide, which is essential for the body to function," physician Robert Graham told health website mindbodygreen.

Endurance athlete and New York Times bestselling author Brian MacKenzie said that because masks cover the nose and mouth, they make breathing difficult. He wrote in an Instagram post that masks may even trap carbon dioxide, which is dangerous for those who are CO2-intolerant. "CO2 intolerant means we don't use our lungs as much and do not use O2 optimally," MacKenzie said [...]

Although breathing fresh oxygen is critical to your health, it is a short-term fix. "Oxygen cannot work without CO2," MacKenzie said. "The better we control our breathing - say spending most of the time nasal-only breathing - the better we develop a tolerance to CO2." [...]

"[Exercise] raises carbon dioxide, which is why we breathe more when we exercise," MacKenzie said. In fact, one study found that though exercise normally causes you to become breathless, regular exercise can increase the strength and function of your muscles. "Your muscles will require less oxygen to move, and they will produce less carbon dioxide. [...] This will immediately reduce the amount of air you will need to breathe in and out for a given exercise," the study said.

MacKenzie said that exercise is important because it requires more metabolic activity. "That would be optimized by doing things that are aerobic in nature like hiking and running." Metabolic activity can also be increased through squatting, sitting, pulling and other strength exercises. "Picking heavy things up from time to time is critical and can be done a number of different ways and through varying modalities," he said.
https://www.medicaldaily.com/best-tips- ... vid-453067
Thoughts?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Masks and lung function

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri May 22, 2020 4:03 am

B-Mac is still a dumbass.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Fri May 22, 2020 4:27 am

Imagine you have to write this article, and you choose this dipshit to talk to for a quote.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri May 22, 2020 12:58 pm

When you thought we are running out of topics... Well, my lungs must be superfit.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri May 22, 2020 3:24 pm

BTW, 3M and OSHA have a whole fit-testing process for respirators and CO2 building is a theoretical concern, it is low, because people will simply take a break and remove the mask if they feel the associated discomfort.

The idea that a cloth mask with no seal could cause CO2 building is idiotic. Yes, there's a #actually theory where something could have some kind of buildup, but they'd take their mask off, not leave it on and die.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri May 22, 2020 3:46 pm

baffled wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:27 am
Imagine you have to write this article, and you choose this dipshit to talk to for a quote.
Exactly.

This is some fucking gold right here. Knowledge bombs:
Endurance athlete and New York Times bestselling author Brian MacKenzie said that because masks cover the nose and mouth, they make breathing difficult.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Fri May 22, 2020 4:10 pm

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri May 22, 2020 5:38 pm

Did that nigga take three paragraphs to say it's hard to exercise with a mask on? Is that what he did?
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri May 22, 2020 9:18 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:24 pm
BTW, 3M and OSHA have a whole fit-testing process for respirators and CO2 building is a theoretical concern, it is low.
Theoretical. These masks are mostly uncomfortable. As with motorcycle helmets, as soon as you put the gloves on your face immediately gets unbearably itchy.

There is no CO2 buildup. You get somewhat tired because of the inspiratory resistance, but that is still not enough to cause a significant problem.

Some of the makes of NP95 leak air around the nose on exhalation, and it causes glasses to you up. To avoid it I put a piece of sticky tape around the edges. You will be surprised how painful it is to remove it after couple of hours.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Fri May 22, 2020 11:58 pm

Brian Mackenzie is a pioneer in the development and application of custom protocols to optimize human health and performance. His work harnesses and integrates respiratory, movement, strength, conditioning and endurance-based training approaches to elicit unprecedented positive results. His protocols have been used to accelerate and raise both mental and physical performance in world-class Olympic and professional athletes, top executives, and elite military operators, as well as to improve the health for people suffering from various chronic and pathological issues.

Brian’s work is voluntarily and repeatedly subjected to rigorous 3rd party scientific testing, re-testing and improvement, at top institutions. He has been contracted and his work involved in research projects at Stanford University School of Medicine, California State University Fullerton, and San Francisco State University.
https://www.brianmackenzie.com/bio
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat May 23, 2020 10:57 pm

Has anyone tried exercising with a mask on?

I trained a lady in the park last week and we had her do burpees. She lasted maybe 5-6 minutes of that workout wearing it.
"When you seek it, you cannot find it.” — Zen riddle

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy » Sun May 24, 2020 1:22 am

Bram wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:57 pm
Has anyone tried exercising with a mask on?

I trained a lady in the park last week and we had her do burpees. She lasted maybe 5-6 minutes of that workout wearing it.
I've been doing my run/walks with a mask on. Actually just a bandanna tied around my face. Once sweaty the mask kind of stick to the mouth and it gets worse. (I have trouble breathing through my nose.)

All in all I don't mind it. In some ways I like it. I look bad ass and it keeps the bugs off my mouth/nose.

All that being said, I'm one of the only morons on the trail wearing one. 95% of the people aren't. So I don't know why I'm bothering to try and not breathe on them.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sun May 24, 2020 2:24 am

I wanted to try the actual training mask with BJJ. I read some positive feedback about them.

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Sun May 24, 2020 1:41 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:24 am
I wanted to try the actual training mask with BJJ. I read some positive feedback about them.

Is that for special BDSM-BJJ classes?
Hanglow Joe wrote: Why do you need a program? Showing up a 1/2 hour a day and doing what you're doing is great. Try it for 4-6 weeks, you're not going to get dick cancer by not following a program.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun May 24, 2020 10:21 pm

"When you seek it, you cannot find it.” — Zen riddle

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue May 26, 2020 5:37 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:24 am

It's a meme. Don't fall for it.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz