Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Keeping Clients Fit During the Pandemic

Post by Bram » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:13 am

Nice short read for anyone in the fitness industry (or something comparable):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/26/busi ... pe=Article

A few parts I enjoyed:

"In the course of a few days, Mr. Sulam did nothing less than reinvent the delivery structure for his service: He took a Google Hangouts tutorial online, and purchased, on Amazon for $10.85, an adjustable cellphone holder that allowed him to give his clients a better vantage point when he needed to demonstrate exercises. He also made a more significant investment with an upgrade of his Android phone to the model with the largest and highest-resolution screen; he even spoke to the daughter of a client who works in the film industry.

“I’m not trying to be a documentary filmmaker here,” Mr. Sulam said. “But I needed to know a little about framing, lighting, positioning and angles, so I can see everything you’re doing and you can see me demonstrating proper form on an exercise if needed.”

And:

"For Travis Macy, an endurance-sports coach in Evergreen, Colo., the challenge was not solvable with a technology reboot. “It’s less of a supply issue, and more of demand,” Mr. Macy said. “All the races my clients were training to do have been canceled.”

Mr. Macy thought about how he could create new demand for his niche business. “We’re now saying, ‘OK, so if such and such a race isn’t happening this year, is there a cool mission or journey you’d like to take?’” he said. “‘Something meaningful to you?’”

He found clients eager to develop and prepare for such personal challenges. One plans to ride the Colorado Trail — 485 miles from Denver to Durango, through the Rocky Mountains — on a mountain bike. Another has expressed interest in a bike-riding tour of the West this summer with his wife.
"When you seek it, you cannot find it.” — Zen riddle

Boris

Re: Keeping Clients Fit During the Pandemic

Post by Boris » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:49 pm

We made sure every kid (swimmers) had a micro band. In addition to the calisthenics their coaches expect, I put up videos from time to time to cover more swimming-specific things to tide them over.

Kids apparently got back in the water yesterday. I hope, for their sakes, they took the 2.5 months to recuperate, rest, and improve the things they needed like t-spine mobility, hip and ab strength, etc. We'll see (actually, they'll see - I'm done coaching for a while).

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:33 pm

What's a micro band?

One of my high school friends has been a swim coach for a long time, he doesn't know what the future holds for him.

Do you have a plan for what you're doing going forwards Boris?

Boris

Post by Boris » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:37 am

lightest gauge resistance band (elitefts, Jump-Stretch, etc)

I'm still teaching. I feel lucky to still have a job. Taking a couple years off from coaching though.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:37 pm

Gotcha, glad you got another source of income.