Box Squatting

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Box Squatting

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:30 pm

Simple question really. For a six foot man, what height should a box for squatting be? I have been using a 15" one, and if I sit down on it, I think my hip crease is ever-so-slightly below my knee but are there any standards or common rule of thumb for this?
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Box Squatting

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:14 pm

Answer my goddamn question.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:34 pm

I like to use whatever the lowest height is that I can maintain good lumbar spine and knee alignment.
"When you seek it, you cannot find it.” — Zen riddle

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:03 pm

OK but...how high is that? And how tall are you?

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:04 am

It would be easier to help you if you could post a video of your box squatting form.

In tight slacks or, better yet, short briefs.
Hanglow Joe wrote: Why do you need a program? Showing up a 1/2 hour a day and doing what you're doing is great. Try it for 4-6 weeks, you're not going to get dick cancer by not following a program.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:12 am

As far as I understand it it depends on the desired depth. I heard somewhere it should be not more than three inches above or below the parallel. So the height of the box depends on your measurements.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:20 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:03 pm
OK but...how high is that? And how tall are you?
Well, it depends on my stance width and a few other things (for example if I've been doing glute extension work e.g. bridges, I seem to have a much lower depth before I hit a pelvic tilt). Sometimes I can do 12", sometimes I do 18".

I do a few squats with my hand on my lumbar spine before committing to loading up, then adjust the height for the day.

I'm 6'3".
"When you seek it, you cannot find it.” — Zen riddle

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:32 pm

Fat,

I use a 15 inch box now post hip surgery. When I competed I used slightly higher than 11 inches to get to IPF depth. I have a 29 inch inseam. The point of box squatting is to spread the the load over more muscles and take stress off some joints. Gram is right about holding spine and knee alignment. Louie says squat as wide as you can to get to the depth you want, the move your stance in slightly. Width has as much to do with An individual’s hip Anatomy than limb and torso lengths.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Thanks Guys, and PL54, how tall are you?

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:00 pm

15" seems pretty low for a guy that's 6'3".

I'm 5'8" and 15 would be just about parallel for me and 12" is REALLY pushing the depth limits of what I can do well for box squatting.

Of course, limb length (and of course mobility/joint health) is everything when setting up proper height for a box, but I'm guessing you could comfortably go w. 17 or 18" box.

edit: Let me add that 20 years ago, a 10" box was not out of the realm of possibility for me. No way I would even consider that today.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:54 pm

Hey Jack, would you mind elaborating a little bit more relative to the "...spreading the load over more muscles and taking the stress of of some joints" please. Would you recommend someone older transitioning to box squatting? I'm not having any issues but I'm not moving the weight that you used to or doing even now but I've been thinking about maybe switching to box squatting...the internet can however be a cruel mistress in providing reasonable definitive information.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:34 pm

I'm 6 ft. and since it's what I have currently, I will stick with a 15 or 16 inch box (bench actually). When I'm feeling more flush I may spring for an adjustable box.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:31 am

Shapecharge wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:54 pm
Hey Jack, would you mind elaborating a little bit more relative to the "...spreading the load over more muscles and taking the stress of of some joints" please. Would you recommend someone older transitioning to box squatting? I'm not having any issues but I'm not moving the weight that you used to or doing even now but I've been thinking about maybe switching to box squatting...the internet can however be a cruel mistress in providing reasonable definitive information.
FWIW, it's great to mix in to help avoid injuries, new movement patterns and get new stimulus happening.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:44 am

Sorry guys out of town and got COVID. Good to go now. I am 5’7”. Box squats are way less quad focused than Olympic or front squats. Much more groin, and glute.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

newguy

Post by newguy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:21 am

powerlifter54 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:44 am
Sorry guys out of town and got COVID. Good to go now. I am 5’7”. Box squats are way less quad focused than Olympic or front squats. Much more groin, and glute.
How was the Covid? Did you have one of the got sick versions or the asymptomatic kinds?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:21 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:
Sorry guys out of town and got COVID. Good to go now.
Glad you are better.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:25 pm

You're the second retired Navy O6 I know to get it. So far the virus is 0-2. O:)
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:34 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:
Glad you're doing better, brah.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:56 pm

nafod wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:25 pm
You're the second retired Navy O6 I know to get it. So far the virus is 0-2. O:)
\:D/

Was on B,C,D and Zinc since February. When bride and I tested positive we both went on Arithromax from my stash. We weren’t sick Enough so I could not get Remdisivir or HCQ. Not debating anything but I know what they are doing in Hospitals in Harris County and goal is to hit with an early cocktail and avoid hospitalization. My wife is on blood pressure and I am on a statin and blood thinners and I think they help, although statins data is not impressive.

I have had worse hangovers. Hell all hangovers have been worse.I worked out every day of my quarantine.

Good to go. Except I pulled my hammy last week.

Shit happens!

Glad you shook it off!

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:23 am

Good for you, Jack. Glad you are fine.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:26 am

Sangoma wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:23 am
Good for you, Jack. Glad you are fine.
Thanks.

When you get it the politics is boring. Lots of smart doctors trying a lot of things with Decent results. In March or April I read something in Houston Chronicle about a doctor at I think Methodist treating at risk demographics aggressively with Antivirals, Antibiotics, blood thinners, and Zinc. I posted about it elsewhere and people came unglued. If somebody wanted to ride the Ventilator I wasn’t going to stop them. I think going forward doctors will hone the cocktail approach further. My understanding is Remdisivir and HCQ both work OK but another antiviral is better. The rest is about not letting things progress to clotting and pneumonia. I hope they get this vaccine out like they anticipate, but like the flu vaccine, what strains do they inoculate for and what shows up?

Build your immune system. Protect your parents. Lose weight if you are obese. Wear a mask (grimace) but if you are sick don’t go out! This will pass. Eventually.