Bennyonesix1

Re: Stuff that works

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 pm

LOL

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:32 pm

To develop endurance within a match, do interval sparring where you intentionally maintain a high intensity either by forcing yourself to continue moving (i.e., not stalling in any position) or switching out fresh partners.

To develop endurance between matches, LSD running for a cardio base.

To develop intramuscular endurance (do this only if you find it's becoming a real problem) do relevant calisthenics. An example is a boxer whose shoulders fatigue can do pushups, or a grappler doing hangs from a bar to improve grip endurance.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:33 pm

newguy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:15 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:45 pm
Sangoma wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:34 am
My mission now is to figure out the methodologically sound way to train for wrestling endurance. This is one problem with traditional, so to a peak, sports, lack of formally educated coaches. So a lot depends on the head of the BJJ school you join. My problem right now - the owner of my school is an incredibly strong big guy. He has no idea of what it's like to be average. Neither he gets that pushing 50-something year old is not going to work the same way as with twenty year olds.

I reckon long runs would be beneficial for my purpose. The trick is to fit it in.
Why reinvent the wheel? The correct method is as old as the hills and I've already told you it.
General endurance work (i.e. jogging/running) for conditioning and mat work for sport specific endurance?
Yes.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:36 pm

Fat Cat I always remembered Bryce Lane saying one lifts/runs/etc in order to practice more and at a higher level.

How does that make you feel?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 pm

I think it was someone like Dean Lister who said, "lifters lift, runners run, and fighters fight."

To build the specific endurance for grappling you have to spend a lot of time on the mat. This accomplishes two goals: you build the specific physiological systems needed to maintain high level of performance over a longer period of time, but you also develop the skill of relaxation within the bout. As a doughy huskyfat with a hangover I've gassed many triathletes because they hadn't learned how to relax.

To use an automotive analogy, it's as if you are simultaneously both building a bigger gas tank while making your engine more efficient.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:39 pm

but you also develop the skill of relaxation within the bout.
I was actually good at this, and was able to outlast some more skilled dudes because of it. I found that almost all solutions I had to problems in any sport started with “relax”.

Peter Ralston had a lot of drills for this in his Zen Body-Being book.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:08 am

Thanks for mentioning this book, Nafod. I am enjoying it right now.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:25 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:08 am
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-MMA-Con ... B007THMNXY

This is really the state of the art as far as applied conditioning for martial arts. I may have a copy laying around if you PM me.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:25 pm
Sangoma wrote:

This is really the state of the art as far as applied conditioning for martial arts. I may have a copy laying around if you PM me.

In the context of boxing (since MMA is very new) do you think it fair to say the boxers of the 1940's and 50's were less fit for their sport than they could have been had they applied these techniques?

That's a serious question. I have my opinion, but I don't know enough to trust it.

That being said, it is really hard for me to imagine a "more fit" Sugar Ray Robinson or Marvin Haggler.

Also, not in any way at all am I criticizing the book you linked. It obv works. And the guy knows his stuff.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:00 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:16 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:25 pm
Sangoma wrote:

In the context of boxing (since MMA is very new) do you think it fair to say the boxers of the 1940's and 50's were less fit for their sport than they could have been had they applied these techniques?

That's a serious question. I have my opinion, but I don't know enough to trust it.

That being said, it is really hard for me to imagine a "more fit" Sugar Ray Robinson or Marvin Haggler.

Also, not in any way at all am I criticizing the book you linked. It obv works. And the guy knows his stuff.
I don't know how familiar you are with the book or the author, but it very much is in line with the way a Marciano or a Sugar Ray Robinson would have trained. Probably the most notable wrinkle would be more modern ideas about strength training and programming, but the conditioning is straight out of the 40s.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 pm

I am an idiot.