Foot pronation and running

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Foot pronation and running

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:36 pm

Having some pain after longer runs and my shoes starting to wear, I stopped by the local running shop that does stride/gait analysis and they pointed out one foot is pronating in a way that's consistent with the low/right back pain I am experiencing. They advised some more supportive shoes.

After I got back I read a little and it appears possible that laterally supportive running shoes don't actually do anything (but also may not hurt).

Anybody have knowledges on this? My preference would be to correct the issue rather than gear around it.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

SubClaw

Re: Foot pronation and running

Post by SubClaw » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:00 pm

I'm an over-pronator and the Asics Kayano have proven to be a godsend.

But, and it's a big but, running in minimalistic shoes is even better. YMMV.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:01 pm

Our intermission gave me the time to test this out. All pain eliminated with the new shoes. Did some post run stretching after the first workout, some buffer work, and that was it. Wrapping a 10k program this week.

I may try to gradually work my way into a more natural shoe, but these made a big difference. It is also possible my prior shoes were just getting worn out, but I likely had well under 300 miles on them.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:41 pm

You might want to look into the GOATA stuff.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:10 pm

David Weck is my go to guy on all things related to locomotion, foot positioning and strength, general biomechanics of movement, and the synergistic relationship between proper skeletal alignment and supporting tissues.

I haven't learned a fucking thing about those topics, but it's been a wild ride seeing how far down the fitness rabbit hole that autistic white people can venture.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:28 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:10 pm
David Weck is my go to guy on all things related to locomotion, foot positioning and strength, general biomechanics of movement, and the synergistic relationship between proper skeletal alignment and supporting tissues.

I haven't learned a fucking thing about those topics, but it's been a wild ride seeing how far down the fitness rabbit hole that autistic white people can venture.
I lol'd :axe:
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:22 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:10 pm

The actual reason for the internet. All else is rationalization and illusion.