Powerlifting USA Library

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Powerlifting USA Library

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:24 pm

Go here: http://www.benchpresschampion.com/Biblio.htm

Where is says: "POWERLIFTING USA ( tous les résultats américains et internationaux, le magazine n°1 du powerlifting ) revue américaine mensuelle qui a paru de 1977-2012 ..." (i.e., Powerlifting USA, all the American and international results, the number one magazine in powering. An American monthly review that appeared from 1977 to 2012.)

There are a series of numbers below it, which when you click, will let you download nearly all of the issues of PLUSA from 1977 to 2012, more than 400 in all, in very nice PDF format.

Enjoy!
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Re: Powerlifting USA Library

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:44 pm

Cool, thanks.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:35 am

Cheers!

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:28 am

Cool!
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:10 am

Reading early-80s editions and have picked up some pretty cool things to try.

Dudes my age seem to have idealised this era though as being all bare bones, pure and raw. "They just laid down and benched, no arching!" But even when you look past the bombardment of gear advertising - you still see lifters recommending how to trick out inseams to get more purchase on lifts =P~

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:53 pm

this was a fucking awesome find.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Luke wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:10 am
Reading early-80s editions and have picked up some pretty cool things to try.

Dudes my age seem to have idealised this era though as being all bare bones, pure and raw. "They just laid down and benched, no arching!" But even when you look past the bombardment of gear advertising - you still see lifters recommending how to trick out inseams to get more purchase on lifts =P~
It is very interesting to read some of the very old late 70s and early 80s issues. It's got a charming, homemade naivete mixed with an all-in gearhog, more is always better fanaticism. And it's obvious that it was the gear, the money made from gear, and the advertising that drove it all, that made PL in America what is for better and/or worse.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:06 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:03 pm
It is very interesting to read some of the very old late 70s and early 80s issues. It's got a charming, homemade naivete mixed with an all-in gearhog, more is always better fanaticism. And it's obvious that it was the gear, the money made from gear, and the advertising that drove it all, that made PL in America what is for better and/or worse.
=D> =D> =D>

Before you posted this thread, I'd just seen a comment from Louie Simmons about how everyone from back then would have been clamouring for the modern exo-skeletons - and it came off as justifying the extremes gear has gotten to. Now I agree with him.

Kaz has lamented on a podcast that he would have loved to have been able to use bands and chains back then.