Never done a single finger extension exercise. Start?

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Never done a single finger extension exercise. Start?

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:41 pm

Done a fair amount of lower arm and hand work.

Never done a single finger extension exercise.

Start?

Willing but totally ignorant.

Fwiw I'm a big fan of wrist extension work. I do maybe 2x the work there I do with wrist flexion. Theory being the strength of antagonist group limits the strength of agonist group.

How would one begin and progress?

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Never done a single finger extension exercise. Start?

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:51 pm

What do you mean by middle finger extension?

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 pm

I'll never forgive you for making me google peg top with the search filter not at maximum.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:21 am

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 pm
I'll never forgive you for making me google peg top with the search filter not at maximum.
Yeah that's a search where you really have to include a "+yakut". Or, so I'm told.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:27 am

I have done finger extensions to remedy elbow pain brought on by grappling with a lot of success.

I use a rubber band and do a couple of sets of high reps (50-100) until I feel a good burn.

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:16 am

Thanks. Like normal rubber band or one of the sturdier ones they market specifically for extensions?

I know mike dayton did an exercise where he just extended his fingers out and back as hard as possible for 7 seconds as a chi hand training....

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:25 am

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 pm
btw, stopped it.
i did it as finisher, but now i do chest expander instead.

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:40 pm

Video?

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:40 pm
Video?
Video of chest expander?

I do only one exercise. Hope it help me to straighten back, i have tendency of rounding it :(

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Aha!

This will sound strange, but abdominals are what cause my poor posture. The abs lift or press up the rib cage.

You can see this if you stand and then bend over and touch toes with straight legs. Then press lower abs in against spine strongly. The torso will lift. Then continue to lift with abs until the top set of abs pushes up the rib cage.

I do it as an exercise. I bend over and touch toes and then lift torso with the abs and not the lower back muscles. I make sure to press the abs in and not out.

I learned this from Lyon's Pilates for Men.

The last exercise in the Advanced sequence are pushups where you begin standing and then touch toes and then walk out with hands to pushup position and then do the pushup. Then you walk back to the "toe touch" position and raise torso with the abs as I said above.

When I use my abs to support my torso my upper back relaxes and shoulders just naturally fall back. It feels like I am standing at attention in the military.

Timestamp 1:30 is a demo

https://youtu.be/w-SS83mglh0

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:36 pm

will try it.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:50 pm

Funny enough, i have video of chest expander, made it yesterday :) from (0:10)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8B_LJkRVlA

Boris

Post by Boris » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:01 pm

I use rubber bands from broccoli or asparagus: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2012/03/eat ... inger.html

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Boris wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:01 pm
I use rubber bands from broccoli or asparagus: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2012/03/eat ... inger.html
Nice. Thanks. Do you just rep out? Every day? After lower arm work?

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:39 pm

I have used broccoli rubber bands but they are pretty damn thick. I like regular rubber bands...the ones my wife puts in the one drawer with all the shit in it. If it’s too loose I double it up.

High rep hammer curls with moderate weight have pretty much cured my elbow problems so I don’t mess with finger extensions a whole lot lately.

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:48 pm

KingSchmaltzBagelHour wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:39 pm
I have used broccoli rubber bands but they are pretty damn thick. I like regular rubber bands...the ones my wife puts in the one drawer with all the shit in it. If it’s too loose I double it up.

High rep hammer curls with moderate weight have pretty much cured my elbow problems so I don’t mess with finger extensions a whole lot lately.
Hmmmm. I do a lot of hammer curls. But cheaty cheat cheat style and as heavy as I can go for like a top set of 10 and then some drop sets. Blows up my hands like nothing else.

I thought these were for hand/finger health and not elbow health?

Boris

Post by Boris » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:14 am

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:56 pm
Boris wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:01 pm
Nice. Thanks. Do you just rep out? Every day? After lower arm work?
I guess I do 4-5 sets of 20/hand - sometimes w. more/less bands, sometimes w. smaller/bigger circumference bands. It's not really 'organized'. I try to do it after workouts that have grip work in them.

I try not to overdo them (because it is easy to overdo it as they are small muscles and even when it's 'hard' it's not particularly stressful), but I try to remember to do it once or twice a week.

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:56 am

Thanks. Good stuff

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:18 pm

You can do a few things pretty easy first off.

1) Isometrics. When I drive I will put my fingers in the gaps in the steering wheel and do a finger extension isometric.
2) Cup one hand over the other, use the outer hand to provide resistance to the inner hand while you do finger extensions.
3) With an empty hand, flick your fingers and thumb open as fast as you can. You will find you get a burn in the finger extensors. If you clench your fist each rep you will get a finger flexor burn as well.

The rubber bands from broccoli are good to start. The Ironmind finger rubber bands degrade pretty quickly, and I can't really recommend them at this point.

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:18 pm

1) Isometrics. When I drive I will put my fingers in the gaps in the steering wheel and do a finger extension isometric.
2) Cup one hand over the other, use the outer hand to provide resistance to the inner hand while you do finger extensions.
3) With an empty hand, flick your fingers and thumb open as fast as you can. You will find you get a burn in the finger extensors. If you clench your fist each rep you will get a finger flexor burn as well.

The rubber bands from broccoli are good to start. The Ironmind finger rubber bands degrade pretty quickly, and I can't really recommend them at this point.
Your post made me remember that baseball players used to put their hands in buckets of sand to work extensors. My brother was a pitcher and when he was rehabbing his wrist/hand he did this for a while in the late 70s/early 80s. I don't know if anyone does that anymore.

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:09 pm

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:18 pm

I just did the rapid opening closing and yeah it burned pretty good. That's a keeper.

Why do you do these?

Elbow health? Hand health?

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:11 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:48 pm

Hmmmm. I do a lot of hammer curls. But cheaty cheat cheat style and as heavy as I can go for like a top set of 10 and then some drop sets. Blows up my hands like nothing else.

The rubber band finger extensions I think I snagged from either here or another board years ago for the expressed purpose of rehabbing sore elbows from grip over-training (gi jiu jitsu in my case). The idea being, in my understanding, to work the antagonist range of motion under load.

I live in Columbus OH and train Jiu jitsu with an accomplished PLer from Westside. I was bitching about my elbows to him once and he recommended the curls. I just took his advice at face value bc he is stronger and knows more about strength training than I ever will and it worked like a charm.

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:48 pm

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:11 pm
Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:48 pm

The rubber band finger extensions I think I snagged from either here or another board years ago for the expressed purpose of rehabbing sore elbows from grip over-training (gi jiu jitsu in my case). The idea being, in my understanding, to work the antagonist range of motion under load.

I live in Columbus OH and train Jiu jitsu with an accomplished PLer from Westside. I was bitching about my elbows to him once and he recommended the curls. I just took his advice at face value bc he is stronger and knows more about strength training than I ever will and it worked like a charm.
Did he recommend any tips re: style and reps or weight?

I just watched Eddie Hill do some hammer curls and he pulled the bells up along his ribcage as opposed to out front.

I've also seen some guys curl it across the front of the body.

I just cheat as much as I can on the positive and then fight the negative. Blows up my hands and forearms.

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:03 pm

He said light to moderate weight for high reps. He said he does them seated on an incline bench, but I just stand up and do them. I don’t do the across the body style, I do them in line. I’m assuming that’s how he does them since he’s sitting down.