Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Shameful gripper strength. Need to remedy. Pls help

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:48 pm

So, I can barely close a #2.

I'm going to try and get better.

Never really done before. No interest. And I gave myself mild tendonitis last time I tried.

Any good default programs? Assume tendency to tendonitis.

Any good resources?

Not excited about reducing other lower arm work. But will accept sig slower gains.

Interested especially in volume.

Also note the muscle at the base of my palm below pinky is almost non-existent. Not surprising.

Thanks.

Croatoa

Re: Shameful gripper strength. Need to remedy. Pls help

Post by Croatoa » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:26 am

I worked up to closing the #3 years ago and then ironmind implemented the “credit card” rule.

No real program just lots of forced closes and negatives on a gripper you can’t close. Overcrushes on an easier gripper. And don’t forget to do lots of extensor work.

Btw. Closing the #2 is pretty fucking good. Most guys have trouble with the trainer-#1 because they’re used to sporting good store grippers.

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:50 pm

Thanks. Any thoughts on frequency? And how to manage volume of work with other lower arm stuff?

I'm assuming I'm prone to tendonitis type stuff.

I'm assuming things like wrist extensions and wrist flexion and hammer curls and rotations won't be cumulative to the relevant volume provided by the gripper?

But something like finger curls would be?

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:59 pm

Volume/Frequency is such an individual thing. If you ever read up on the programs of those guys who certified on the gripboard, frequency can vary from 7 days a week to once every 10 days. I would probably recommend somewhere in the middle for most people. For gripper strength you obviously want to focus on grippers. Extensor work along with wrist and pinch work will help to avoid injury and imbalances. Thick bar work on the other hand will kill crushing strength IME. This all depends on how retarded you want to get with it though. There are guys out there who don’t do anything except train grip which sounds stupid as hell to me but to each his own.

Bennyonesix1
Gunny

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:36 pm

Thanks. I just tried and I can no longer even get the 2 close.

I am absolutely a mentally weak bitch but damn it hurts my hands afterward.

I'll just work on the trainer for a month or so and see what happens.

Thanks again for the reply.