Very solid discussion of metabolic syndrome focused of fat digestion

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bennyonesix1

Very solid discussion of metabolic syndrome focused of fat digestion

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:16 pm

Long but I found it really informative on a big picture level. Erdosi knows his stuff in my opinion and is very up to date.

Big takeaway is fat digestion goes south well before glucose testing indicates metabolic derangement.

I'd pay to see Gabor and Lylez talk about things. Extra to see Lylez lose his shit but idk if that happens anymore.

https://youtu.be/jOHrcdhJj2I

Bennyonesix1

Re: Very solid discussion of metabolic syndrome focused of fat digestion

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:25 pm

I should probably add a little more. His simple rules:

Ditch grains

Ditch processed foods

Eat meat and vegetables first

Carbs desert

Don't snack

Eat well before sleep.

Goal is to eat so as to maximize the involvement of the entire intestinal system.

He himself eats predominately a "MEDS" diet: meat eggs dairy and seafood. He's pretty meh on leaves and fiber etc etc not anti but unimpressed.

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:16 am

That was really interesting. I'll have to check out more of his stuff.

For years I thought my fat gain was based on stress, sleep problems, and shoveling food like a Hungry Hungry Hippo. But now I think it had a lot to do with what foods I was eating.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:30 pm

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:16 am

For years I thought my fat gain was based on stress, sleep problems, and shoveling food like a Hungry Hungry Hippo. But now I think it had a lot to do with what foods I was eating.
I'm 50/50 on if this is sarcasm.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:51 pm

motherjuggs&speed wrote:

Unwanted weight gain, in my view, is the result of too many calories. However, the easiest way to happily eat the correct amount of calories depends on watching what you eat.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:11 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:51 pm
motherjuggs&speed wrote:

Unwanted weight gain, in my view, is the result of too many calories. However, the easiest way to happily eat the correct amount of calories depends on watching what you eat.
I agree. And fwiw, I think that is Gabor's position as well.

But we have to be careful to not conflate obesity with metabolic derangement. I still sometimes do it, but they aren't the same thing.

Being fat does not necessarily equal metabolic issues. It strongly correlates to it. But it doesn't equal it.

Likewise being thin does not equal metabolic health. Though it does strongly correlate with it.

Luckily, it appears that eating in Gabor's suggested manner makes one both leaner and healthier.

So, the video, I think, makes the point that food choice and food order is upstream of bodyfat and health and calories in/calories out considerations.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:24 am

He has a very vague idea of bariatric surgery. "Butchering the stomach" happens only in sleeve gastrectomy (gastric sleeve), incidentally the operation with best risk/reward ratio. Bypass is the most effective surgery, but high incidence of deficiencies. Not surprising as its goal is to induce malabsorption. One of most common complaints is noticing undigested food in feces.

Gastric sleeve works not only by reducing the size of the stomach, but also because gastric fundus - most of which is removed - releases ghrelin, a hunger hormone. So these patients feel less hunger and satiate faster. It is a good operation for whom it is indicated, morbidly obese.

By the way, the main reason for the improvement in health markers before these patients drop significant amount of weight is reduced calorie intake. There are several significant effects of eating, so called post-prandial metabolic effects, such as endotoxemia, reduction in vascular relaxation response (probably related to plasma glucose raise) and couple others. There is a new group of drugs that illustrates the ridiculousness of the modern culture, sodium glucose co-transporter-2 (SGLT-2) blockers. (Jardiance I think was the first one). In short, they affect the receptors in the kidneys, so that you start excreting glucose in the urine. So instead of eating less you get your kidneys to get rid of the excess (to a point). These drugs have been shown to improve health markers and even reduce mortality! Imagine what you could do by eating less!

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:31 am

He has a very vague idea of bariatric surgery. "Butchering the stomach" happens only in sleeve gastrectomy (gastric sleeve), incidentally the operation with best risk/reward ratio. Bypass is the most effective surgery, but high incidence of deficiencies. Not surprising as its goal is to induce malabsorption. One of most common complaints is noticing undigested food in feces.

Gastric sleeve works not only by reducing the size of the stomach, but also because gastric fundus - most of which is removed - releases ghrelin, a hunger hormone. So these patients feel less hunger and satiate faster. It is a good operation for whom it is indicated, morbidly obese.

By the way, the main reason for the improvement in health markers before these patients drop significant amount of weight is reduced calorie intake. There are several significant effects of eating, so called post-prandial metabolic effects, such as endotoxemia, reduction in vascular relaxation response (probably related to plasma glucose raise) and couple others. There is a new group of drugs that illustrates the ridiculousness of the modern culture, sodium glucose co-transporter-2 (SGLT-2) blockers. (Jardiance I think was the first one). In short, they affect the receptors in the kidneys, so that you start excreting glucose in the urine. So instead of eating less you get your kidneys to get rid of the excess (to a point). These drugs have been shown to improve health markers and even reduce mortality! Imagine what you could do by eating less!

As far as food choice versus food choice and order versus calories in/out - it's a nice talk, but there is no data to support this and there is data to the contrary. Mark Haub is one more known example, but there are many others. Food choices and order may help appetite control. In Russia, for example, it is traditional to have soup as the first dish of lunch. Large volume of little calories. Even then, there are plenty of fat folk in Russia.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:17 pm

I'm not capable of defending or even fully explaining Gabor's thesis. But I can say a few things.

First, I've heard him mention everything you've mentioned. And he doesn't disagree that they have effects.

Second, he's not anti-bypass surgery. He actually feels pretty much the same as you do from what I can tell. And he discusses the various types of surgery often.

Third, he mentions that calorie restriction is not always enforced before some surgeries, and when it isn't, the same reduction in metabolic derangement is seen.

Fourth, I was taken aback by his use if the word "butchering". I'm pretty sure it's not meant critically. It's just a description. I don't know why he uses it, as he isn't anti-bariatric surgery in genreral of that procedure specifically.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:21 pm

If anyone's interested, here's a more detailed talk from 2018. His thinking has changed some since then. But I think the overall framework is the same.

https://youtu.be/8rcfvRGZsDs

I guess his name is pronounced Er-dooshi?

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:15 pm

If anyone uses facebook, I'd appreciate a recap of Haub's bloodwork during his twinkie diet.

https://m.facebook.com/Prof-Haubs-Diet- ... 481454281/