Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:21 pm

Friendly reminder: curls get the girls.

Right now for biceps training I am doing barbell curls and dumbbell concentration curls as direct work one day a week (4 x 10-12 each exercise), and I am doing chins and rows (4 x 6-12 each) another day.

Now, I know you goobers are all into unisex KB/bands/clubs stuff, but what in your experience are the best exercises, rep ranges, etc. for building the biceps. My triceps seem to respond well to high intensity, low repetition stuff, but my biceps (such as they are) seem to need a different approach.

Also, what is a total number of weekly sets that is reasonable? And any recommendations via number of exercises, supersets, etc.?
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Sua Sponte » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:56 pm

Two things work well for me. Done on different days.
3 sets chins AMRAP (long rest periods)

2 to 3 sets of standing barbell curls in the 6-8 rep range, close to failure, followed immediately by negative chins to failure (old Nautilus stuff). (long rest periods)

There's an assumption here you can do at least 8, preferably more than 10, very good chin-ups. Smooth up, pause, smooth down, pause. No momentum, no assist from body english.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:37 am

8 sets biceps....2-3 exercises for 2-4 sets each
8 sets triceps ....2-3 exercises for 2-4 sets each
2 days a week each

Can be done on same day or a back and biceps, chest and triceps split.

Rotate rep ranges and exercises every three weeks: 12-15, 8-12, 6-8

45-90 seconds rest between sets....but sometimes biceps 1 e.g., barbell curls, rest 15 seconds, biceps 2 e.g., dumbbell hammer curls, rest 15 seconds, biceps 3 e.g., barbell reverse curls, rest 45-90 seconds
"When you seek it, you cannot find it.” — Zen riddle

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:19 am

Bram gave some good advice.

I'd add that the most important thing is to do the curls as degenerately bodybuilding style as possible. Slow positive and a 2sec hard contraction at top and a really slow negative. Imagine the bicep squeezing out blood in contractikn and drawing it in on the negative. Turn that pinky toward the shoulder at the top. It should be a long grueling embarrassed to have people watch set. Hah. 4 total sets of 15 using two exercises should be enough if done that way. I like dbs and cable machines for direct bicep work. Alternate hands. Your arms are strong already you just want them to get bigger. So fuck the weight and just perv out on the motion. Hell, put a finger on the bicep to increase the mind muscle contraction. The first time you do it this way your biceps should actually cramp at the top. And you'll be sore the next day. But it's easy on the joints.

Adding in a forearm and wrist day is pretty much mandatory for non-juiced reg people. Lots of wrist curls and extensions and hammer curls and reverse curls. The bigger those forearms get the stronger the wrists get the bigger the biceps will get.

You could really just throw in 3 pervy bodybuilder sets at the end of back day. One exercise changed each week. If you do it intensely and slow and squeeze at the top you'll be blown out and grow.

If your still in your 30's then power curls super cheat power clean style WITHOUT FIGHTING THE NEGATIVE are prob the best. But high risk.

Idk if you guys remember that weirdo Steven Shafley he was generally egregious but he clued me into that style.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:50 am

This flies in the face of smart, but in case other stuff doesn't seem to get it done may be worth a shot for a few weeks. This was a area I had a hard time making progress, as close grip BP and skull crushers, which was the style at the time, tweaked me elbow. Around age 22 I started doing 3 drop sets to failure on tricep pushing downs, and then a one-arm overhead DB extension for two sets. Lots of pullups, but I always did those. With the drop sets triceps blowed up. Not imaginary/psychological, people asked what I was doing for arms after a few months.

2x/week. E.g., push down on cable machine with a flat bar 85lb. x 12, brief pause 60lb x 12, brief pause, 40lb x6. Repeat 1x w/lower weight. Overhead extension with one arm, 2 sets each arm.
Last edited by Grandpa's Spells on Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:51 am

That makes perfect sense to me.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:34 am

when I started bodyweight training, my biceps grew in size 1cm.
and then stopped to grow.
so 1cm of gains :)

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:09 pm

Thanks guys, gonna take a while to play with the ideas. RIght now my tri's are coming along, dips always blow them up for me, but my biceps are sad and largely not present.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:13 pm

A few ideas

Rest Only Briefly

And

Upper Arm position in the curl movement. For example, you will feel curls differently if your upper arm is overhead vs behind you (curl grip pull downs OR pull ups AND incline dumbbell curls)

Superset the two to use the "rest only briefly" concept.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:41 pm

And if you use enough control you can increase the contraction by elevating the elbow at the end slightly. And really supinating the hand at the top.

I think complete contraction is only possible when the upper arm is pointing at the ceiling.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:59 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:19 am
the most important thing is to do the curls as degenerately bodybuilding style as possible.
I lol'd, but I actually knew exactly what you meant. I also agree that training forearm is a must, but I'm not there yet. Every time I've tried to incorporate wrist curls or reverse curls I've ended up bagging it after just a few sessions, stupidly.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:00 pm

That forearm pump feels goooooood. Hahahabah

Plus big upper arms and skinny forearms is weird.

I saw this today at the gym. Very disconcerting. Did not look strong.
Last edited by Bennyonesix1 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Ya, agreed. I'm reading Sergio Oliva's book and he makes the same criticism of a lot of his contemporaries.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:17 pm
Ya, agreed. I'm reading Sergio Oliva's book and he makes the same criticism of a lot of his contemporaries.
I used to troll as Userid: Chuck_Sipes_Forearms

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:32 pm

Baste.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:00 pm

I have noodle arms and have been working on it since this summer.

One thing I picked up from t-nation that seems to have made a difference -
super set reverse/hammer curls with regular curls and vice versa.

BB reverse curls to failure, then switch grip and go straight to regular curls.
DB hammer curls and without dropping, immediately move to strict DB curls palms up.
A killer is incline curls to failure then stand up and do hammer curls.

Go slow and squeeze hard. If it doesn't hurt and burn you're not growing.

My arms are an embarrassment, but over the summer through now they are becoming less so.

Luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Luke » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:03 pm

I recall he was laughed out of the room at the time, but Paul Carter's 100 rep curls with an empty bar did work...and as I leave biceps a the end of a session it was always easy to do quickly because there's no setup. Anyhow:

https://plagueofstrength.com/john-mcwil ... hould-pay/

John McWilliams Arm Program (Mozee)
* This program is done, true to bench and arm bro sensibilities, three times a week.

Superset
Barbell Pullovers– 2 x 12
Close-Grip Bench Presses– 2 x 12

Superset
Barbell Pullovers– 2 x 6
Close-Grip Bench Presses– 2 x 6

Superset
Barbell Curls– 3 x 12
Overhead Tricep Extensions– 3 x 12

Superset
Dumbbell Curls– 3 x 10
Dumbbell Triceps Presses– 3 x 10

Lying Barbell Triceps Extensions– 3 x 12

Close-Grip Bench Presses– 3 x 10*
One-Arm Kickbacks– 2 x 20**

*The second you’re done the third set of bench, grab a db and start kickbacks. Kickbacks get no rest between arms, but a 30 second rest between sets.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:30 am

Farmer walks are a big forearm burn.
Don’t believe everything you think.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:44 pm

http://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-th ... 088uC40R08

Simple article/technique.

Takeaway is that you need to build the mind/muscle connection with the bicep and be able to flex it hard when you train.
Technique is to do an isometric hold (arms parallel to floor) and consciously tense the muscle for 15 to 30 seconds then immediately begin the set.

Going to add it into the bicep work.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:46 pm

newguy wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:44 pm
http://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-th ... 088uC40R08

Simple article/technique.

Takeaway is that you need to build the mind/muscle connection with the bicep and be able to flex it hard when you train.
Technique is to do an isometric hold (arms parallel to floor) and consciously tense the muscle for 15 to 30 seconds then immediately begin the set.

Going to add it into the bicep work.
Let me know how it goes. I've got plenty of material from this thread to play with. But, I agree with the idea of learning to really flex the biceps. I remember some old bodybuilder saying, "if you can't flex it, you can't train it." That was their memorable way of pointing out that you need to establish real mind-body connection for effective training of smaller muscle groups.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:18 pm

Only use as much volume and as many diff exercises as you need to grow. It won't take much at first. 3 slow intense BBer stylee sets after back day should get you growing. And won't mess with programming etc etc. I'd also add BB intensifying techniques before volume fwiw. At this point in your career you have the focus and intensity to really kill a few sets.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:54 pm

Hamster ovaries
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:58 pm

You're better than this.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:42 am

I reckon arms are overrated. Big guns are valued so much that sometimes guys look ridiculous.

On more practical note. Some time ago I tweaked both of my shoulders and for several months did only squats. Mind you, my best squat is mediocre by any standards. However, to my surprise my arms got bigger. To the point that I was getting comments from friends. I guess there is true when they say that if all you do is a deadlift of a squat you will be buff all over. Especially the deadlift: cant pull 200 kg and have flimsy arms.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:43 pm

You just need some Synthol. That is obviously.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.