Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39956
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:45 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:42 am
I reckon arms are overrated. Big guns are valued so much that sometimes guys look ridiculous.

On more practical note. Some time ago I tweaked both of my shoulders and for several months did only squats. Mind you, my best squat is mediocre by any standards. However, to my surprise my arms got bigger. To the point that I was getting comments from friends. I guess there is true when they say that if all you do is a deadlift of a squat you will be buff all over. Especially the deadlift: cant pull 200 kg and have flimsy arms.
All things have their place, and in their proper proportion. I have neglected arm training for a long time and it's enjoyable to make a project out of bringing up a lagging element.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Bennyonesix1
Top
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:43 pm

You know when I think about it everyone I know who has or had big arms regrets it.

Jfc some people

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39956
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:10 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:43 pm
You know when I think about it everyone I know who has or had big arms regrets it.

Jfc some people
Really? Why? At any rate, I have quite a ways to go before I am in danger of having "big arms".
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Bennyonesix1
Top
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:35 pm

Sorry being sarcastic no one has ever regretted having big arms ever in the history of the universe

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12367
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by nafod » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:00 pm

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:43 pm
You just need some Synthol. That is obviously.
Worked on Shape's ears
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bennyonesix1
Top
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:04 pm

And Steven's lips

User avatar
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4963
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:13 am
Location: The Usual Gang of Idiots

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:47 am

nafod wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:00 pm
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:43 pm
You just need some Synthol. That is obviously.
Worked on Shape's ears
Nafod getting into the wayback machine to bring back some old school IGX insults. Well played.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39956
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:01 am

Do I need to put a trigger warning on this for Shapebaby? He is not gonna like this.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5778
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:35 pm
Sorry being sarcastic no one has ever regretted having big arms ever in the history of the universe
I believed, and waited for answer :))

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12367
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by nafod » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Image
Don’t believe everything you think.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39956
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:08 pm

I'm doing a fair volume of dips and chins on the rings (~50 each per week) and they are by far the best upper body exercises for muscular shape. That said, ring exercises are mostly too demanding for someone my age and size.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12367
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by nafod » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:07 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:08 pm
I'm doing a fair volume of dips and chins on the rings (~50 each per week) and they are by far the best upper body exercises for muscular shape. That said, ring exercises are mostly too demanding for someone my age and size.
I do a lot of static holds. For some reason I find them enjoyable, staring at the clock while the arms start quivering.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bennyonesix1
Top
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Fwiw heavy (for me) super cheat hammer curls fighting the negative work for me. Blows up my hands as well.

User avatar
baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8648
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by baffled » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:21 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:08 pm
I'm doing a fair volume of dips and chins on the rings (~50 each per week) and they are by far the best upper body exercises for muscular shape. That said, ring exercises are mostly too demanding for someone my age and size.
Height and weight? a/s/l?
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin
Image

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39956
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:26 pm

nafod wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:07 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:08 pm
I'm doing a fair volume of dips and chins on the rings (~50 each per week) and they are by far the best upper body exercises for muscular shape. That said, ring exercises are mostly too demanding for someone my age and size.
I do a lot of static holds. For some reason I find them enjoyable, staring at the clock while the arms start quivering.
What kinda positions for the static holds?
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39956
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm

baffled wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:21 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:08 pm
I'm doing a fair volume of dips and chins on the rings (~50 each per week) and they are by far the best upper body exercises for muscular shape. That said, ring exercises are mostly too demanding for someone my age and size.
Height and weight? a/s/l?
Image

CUT THE MUSIC
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39956
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:38 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:34 pm
Fwiw heavy (for me) super cheat hammer curls fighting the negative work for me. Blows up my hands as well.
What's the deal with hammer curls. Meme exercise? Legit? I hear a lot of different stories. I find that I usually have to knock about 5 or so pounds off my exercising weights when I do hammer as opposed to supinated grip curls.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12367
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by nafod » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:49 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:26 pm
nafod wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:07 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:08 pm
I'm doing a fair volume of dips and chins on the rings (~50 each per week) and they are by far the best upper body exercises for muscular shape. That said, ring exercises are mostly too demanding for someone my age and size.
I do a lot of static holds. For some reason I find them enjoyable, staring at the clock while the arms start quivering.
What kinda positions for the static holds?
The ultimate goal would be an iron cross (yeah right!) so arms support straight down for minute holds, then move the arms out ever so slightly for a bit more torque. Aim the hands so that the rings are parallel forces the arms back on the body. Toss in an L-sit. A lot of tension across the body!

The other direction is to try to hold halfway between hanging down with the arms, to upside-down, on the pull through ala skin the cat.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Ryan
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2935
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Ryan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:02 pm

Planche leans and front lever variations work the elbow flexors quite hard. Nice for some variety, if you can handle them. I enjoy them.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

User avatar
nafod
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 12367
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Looking in your window

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by nafod » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 pm

Levers, that’s the word that escaped me. Big tension. I find as I get older, static moves are well tolerated.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bennyonesix1
Top
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:43 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:38 pm
Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:34 pm
Fwiw heavy (for me) super cheat hammer curls fighting the negative work for me. Blows up my hands as well.
What's the deal with hammer curls. Meme exercise? Legit? I hear a lot of different stories. I find that I usually have to knock about 5 or so pounds off my exercising weights when I do hammer as opposed to supinated grip curls.
I don't really know. For me they are good. They make the area around my elbows look wide and were good for size in the forearm and bicep. But I am tall with long forearms and that tends to make it easier to use heavier weights than bicep curls in my experience.

I've always used a lot of body english and legs and I have to squeeze like hell the whole way to hold on. I fight the negative as well.

Big time benchers swear by them for elbow health but I wouldn't know anything at all about benching heavy with my build.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 39956
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:58 pm

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:43 pm
Big time benchers swear by them for elbow health but I wouldn't know anything at all about benching heavy with my build.
That's definitely something I've noticed. Kyril Sarychev is always doing them.
Image
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Bennyonesix1
Top
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:02 am

Someone here said Westside are/were big fans as well. But complete injury prevention tier style they didn't push them.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5778
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Wild Bill » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:58 am

Bennyonesix1 wrote:
I've always used a lot of body english ...
what is body english?

Bennyonesix1
Top
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Re: Arm Training: Killa Pipes

Post by Bennyonesix1 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:51 pm

Body english = using body to help lift the weight. Cheating. Using momentum to help.

I think it is from billiards. You put "english" on the cue ball when you strike it off center and make it spin for control.

Post Reply