Neck bridges.

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Neck bridges.

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Is it worth risk to start them in mid forties?
I know all wrestlers do them, but they started in childhood, what do you think about starting neck bridges for an adult with hernia in the cervical spine?
Asking for a friend :)
PS
I yesterday read Convict Conditioning 2, and there chapter about them.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Neck bridges.

Post by nafod » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:46 pm

We used to have an expert here on this topic (Jeek), long gone now.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:31 pm

I think the risk-to-benefit isn't great with an injury history. flex bands can provide adequate resistance in a more manageable way.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:19 pm

i will try Kharitonov's way

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:29 pm

he says he doing this 100-200 reps.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:39 pm

tried.
face up harder than face down, 12 reps was enough for first try.

Thanks, Grandpa's Spells. You confirmed my own suspicions.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:31 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:19 pm
i will try Kharitonov's way

You guys have already gotten to the point, so just to reiterate. Bridging, like Spells said, is a high risk/reward exercise. Some people can do it fine, I could hold 5 minute high bridges front and back for years, until one day I couldn't. Why? I don't know. But, regardless, there are safe ways to train the neck and the one the Kharitonov (miss seeing that guy fight) is showing is the best. You can do it face up, face down, and on your sides, and if you have a partner you trust they can give mild--MILD--resistance. I know people who have built up huge necks using between one and four sets of 10-12 using that exercise, and it has very low injuly potential compared to bridging. You can also use stretch bands in a standing position similarly.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:09 pm

In addition to all of the above, placing a slightly deflated soccer ball or such against the wall and pushing your forehead, back of the head, and sides of the head either for time or for reps gives another way to exercise it.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Wild Bill wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:39 pm
tried.
face up harder than face down, 12 reps was enough for first try.

Thanks, Grandpa's Spells. You confirmed my own suspicions.
Yeah that's a good approach.

It's tricky because you see wrestlers starting neck bridges at age 8 - 13 and they all just handle it really easily. But everything about that specific exercise is just a mess for an adult. Your height, foot position, body arch, etc. all change how much load your neck is under. We used to find ways to increase the resistance in ways that were not smart.

Neck bridges make total sense when you're training a ton of kids w/o equipment. For everybody else, you have a 10 pound weight sitting on top of your neck to start with.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:41 am

IN regards to the neck there is a problem very common for the modern man: the disbalance between the anterior and posterior muscles. Poked out head is the position most of us spend most of the time in. Sitting at the desk, looking at the phone etc. This apparently creates prefect conditions for the herniation of discs. So anything that improves posterior neck strength is beneficial.

Now, there are neck bridges and neck bridges. Wrestlers touch the floor with their noses in their bridges, and this is probably not a very bright idea to start doing this straight away. Partial bridge, or supporting the weight of the body by leaning on the posterior back (sort of a reverse plank supported by the head) is very beneficial.

McKenzie technique for neck pain is all about this. I do it regularly and it makes a big difference in terms of neck pain and pins and needles in my hands. My neck MRI was the reason I was refused income protection insurance, yet I can roll with heavy guys who intentionally try to tear my head off.

For the interested:

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:19 am

"Partial bridge, or supporting the weight of the body by leaning on the posterior back (sort of a reverse plank supported by the head) is very beneficial."

I will add the fish pose to my yoga.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:37 pm

Nice video Sangoma, thanks for the share

I’ve been told to tuck the chin for any neck work....so tuck, then the exercise Sergei does. Much harder.

I had an Ironmind neck harness, done bridges, and done lying “yes” and “no’s” — all worked well. Bridges are definitely high on the sketchy side though, as everyone else has already said.
"When you seek it, you cannot find it.” — Zen riddle

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:41 pm

Inspired by this thread, I did a combo of the first exercise in the Sergei Kharitonov video and the exercise Sangoma shared.

Lying Neck Flexion [with chin neutral & retracted] x 2 sets
And
Wall Supported Cervical Retraction [with chin neutral] x 2 sets

Worked great and felt safe. Also I kept the range pain-free on both.
"When you seek it, you cannot find it.” — Zen riddle