Flow State Triggers

Stick to training related posts.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Flow State Triggers

Post by Bram » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:40 pm

Listening to a podcast with chess Grandmaster Maurice Ashley and he talks about how he grew up playing chess with these guys who were relentless shit talkers.

Some guys would say “that’s what she said.” Others would be sexually explicit, “I’m gonna jam this big bishop cock right into your back rank.” Others would say “really? That’s your move?”

The interesting bit was that he mentioned shit talking has to be an extension of your personality, if you’re loud and bombastic then that’s how you should come across. And if you engage in that, then you’re adding a bit of a flow state.

For surfing, anytime I think “have fun,” I surf better. In rock climbing, thinking “be smart” seems to help me be more thoughtful with how I attack a route. In training, “take care” helps me stay focused on the client’s well-being.

These are words, but it could be any trigger that helps you
perform better.
"When you seek it, you cannot find it.” — Zen riddle

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Flow State Triggers

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:08 pm

Watch kids playing video games online, talking shit is a critical part of the process. It triggers your mirror neurons to better anticipate and counter your opponent while simultaneously requiring them to divert their attention partially to interpret and respond.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Do you talk to yourself while surfing?
Don’t believe everything you think.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:25 pm

Bram, I can only imagine what you're doing when thinking "be gay". Maybe just setting a party mood. idk.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:31 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:54 am

When I was a kid growing up in USSR chess was very, very popular. In the park next to my house there was a spot where benches were occupied by chess players. Lots of them played for money, and among those guys there were lots drunks with the ranking of of Master of Sport or higher. Most of them talked shit, at times very aggressively. "I am going to squash you that you will be bleeding", "I am going to beat you up like a rotten dog", just to give you an example.

Here you go, street chess. Still quite common in Russia and former Republics.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:58 am

Shapecharge wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:25 pm
Bram, I can only imagine what you're doing when thinking "be gay". Maybe just setting a party mood. idk.
Totally unnecessary story.

So, I used to say tons of gay shit to my friends. “Hey handsome...” etc. This went on for years.

Until I had a girlfriend who was convinced this meant I was gay. And we had multiple long conversations about it, including one where she claimed she heard me hooking up with our roommate (her friend since kindergarten) — we were watching Serenity, the firefly movie, not banging each other.

We ended up breaking up over this after nearly two years together. And sadly my appetite for acting gay as can be died with it. Another life Shapebaby, sorry we missed out :( xoxo

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:02 am

nafod wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:59 pm
Do you talk to yourself while surfing?
Yeah, I have a standard script I follow of stuff to focus on, then sometimes extra things creep in.

Helpful: “don’t panic,” “getting angry never helps, let it go,” “wait a little bit more”

Unhelpful: “you’re gonna fall,” “you’ll never make this turn”

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:10 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:08 pm
Watch kids playing video games online, talking shit is a critical part of the process. It triggers your mirror neurons to better anticipate and counter your opponent while simultaneously requiring them to divert their attention partially to interpret and respond.
You’re a Jedi-level shit-talker, I can see how you would benefit and get in the zone from it.

I actually get in the zone better in surfing from genuinely complimenting people, especially when they are acting aggressive. Thinking and acting positively releases my focus on their behavior.

Competitive stuff is tricky, I’m sure getting to your black belt in BJJ you triggered a few people along the journey in ways that were both helpful and unhelpful.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:15 am

I say things like "Bend your knees, you dumb fuck" to myself when I'm skiing.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:17 pm

Bram wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:10 am
Competitive stuff is tricky, I’m sure getting to your black belt in BJJ you triggered a few people along the journey in ways that were both helpful and unhelpful.
Jiujitsu is made for shit talking but I learned over the years that having good relationships with training partners is one of the few actual "secrets" to success in BJJ, so I saved that for just a few people who I was close with and could take it in the proper spirit.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:49 am

Shapecharge wrote:
I took a dance class once in which one of the teachers explained that there are two ways of dancing. Like straight people, and Gaaaaayyyyyyy! He demonstrated each a few times. He said he wanted us to dance Gaaaaaayyyyyy. Was a good tip for that actually.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:32 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:17 pm
Bram wrote:
Jiujitsu is made for shit talking but I learned over the years that having good relationships with training partners is one of the few actual "secrets" to success in BJJ, so I saved that for just a few people who I was close with and could take it in the proper spirit.
I talk all the time when I am rolling. "Who's your daddy " when I manage to sweep someone, or "Bitch!" When someone sweeps me. Talking shit adds fun to BJJ.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:39 pm

Sangoma,

I’ve never played chess in an environment like that, but I could see it being a lot of fun.

Here’s a fun, widely-seen video of Maurice Ashley playing trash-talking chess:

https://youtu.be/U5vnpOp0U_g

Btw what’s with the Youtube embed? I put spaces and dropped the “s”

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Bram wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:39 pm
Sangoma,

I’ve never played chess in an environment like that, but I could see it being a lot of fun.

Here’s a fun, widely-seen video of Maurice Ashley playing trash-talking chess:

[youtube] http://youtu.be/U5vnpOp0U_g [/youtube]

Btw what’s with the Youtube embed? I put spaces and dropped the “s”

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:05 pm

For some reason youtu.be links won't embed. I usually copy the name of the video, put it into the youtube search, and then open the video. The address that of the video you open should work.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:12 am

Thanks Turdacious and Nafod,

I’ll play around with getting the right links to embed :supz:

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:14 am

nafod wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:15 am
I say things like "Bend your knees, you dumb fuck" to myself when I'm skiing.
So this is weird — and we are all different — but I struggle with applying direct verbal cues (like bend the knees), but indirect ones like “flow” seem to really help me.

Might be helpful you dumb fuck :)

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:19 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Bram wrote:
I saved your response in a note on my phone.

I’m convinced that my hyper-competitive attitude would have led to, and still would, me to have severe injuries if I kept doing BJJ.

If I can ever figure out how to reserve that mindset for the right times, I can see returning to the mat.

Btw, I just last week played a bunch of chess against my new girlfriend, who’s a successful hyper-competitive athlete, and because I refused to go easy on her, it pissed her off. Room to grow for me on this one.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:20 am

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:49 am
Shapecharge wrote:
I took a dance class once in which one of the teachers explained that there are two ways of dancing. Like straight people, and Gaaaaayyyyyyy! He demonstrated each a few times. He said he wanted us to dance Gaaaaaayyyyyy. Was a good tip for that actually.
I will try to be more gay, thanks MJS :) and dancing is super fucking fun

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:21 am

Sangoma wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:32 pm
Fat Cat wrote:
Bram wrote:
I talk all the time when I am rolling. "Who's your daddy " when I manage to sweep someone, or "Bitch!" When someone sweeps me. Talking shit adds fun to BJJ.
Sounds like you got it figured out for yourself, nicely done!

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:54 pm

Bram wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:58 am
Shapecharge wrote:
Totally unnecessary story.

So, I used to say tons of gay shit to my friends. “Hey handsome...” etc. This went on for years.

Until I had a girlfriend who was convinced this meant I was gay. And we had multiple long conversations about it, including one where she claimed she heard me hooking up with our roommate (her friend since kindergarten) — we were watching Serenity, the firefly movie, not banging each other.

We ended up breaking up over this after nearly two years together. And sadly my appetite for acting gay as can be died with it. Another life Shapebaby, sorry we missed out :( xoxo
Bram, you know I was just playin' broheim. But with that said, errbody is so sensitive now and you never know who's gonna get triggered. The shit we ALL used to say even just a few years ago is something you've now got to reel back in. There's a place I go on Friday's after work to have a drink or two and a smoke. For fucking 15 years I've walked in, and it's kinda been a Norm from Cheers thing where I'll say something, almost always gay and I'll get something back...and I'd usually say something like, "what's up homos" or "who wants to get on these nutz" but now I try to at least not make it gay related because I don't want to offend anyone's sensibilities. Jeez.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:14 pm

This is all faggotry
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:29 am

Shapecharge wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:54 pm

Bram, you know I was just playin' broheim. But with that said, errbody is so sensitive now and you never know who's gonna get triggered. The shit we ALL used to say even just a few years ago is something you've now got to reel back in. There's a place I go on Friday's after work to have a drink or two and a smoke. For fucking 15 years I've walked in, and it's kinda been a Norm from Cheers thing where I'll say something, almost always gay and I'll get something back...and I'd usually say something like, "what's up homos" or "who wants to get on these nutz" but now I try to at least not make it gay related because I don't want to offend anyone's sensibilities. Jeez.
Shape, I know you were kidding.

Because Baffled wants us to talk about these things....

I know two trans people that get irritated with anything but them/they. And I would love to say that using those terms is somehow a big deal, but after two months of awkwardly adapting, I’m now used to it and life continues.

Maybe you gotta say whats up my wookies and make a chewbacca howl?

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:13 am

I do my best not to associate with the mentally ill.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin