IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:45 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 am 
Jesus Christ®

I have a friend here in Hawaii who is thinking about making a purchase of some KBs and asked my opinion on brands. Because I have limited experience, and very little comparative experience between brands, I am making this thread to gather information on his behalf.

From 2000 through 2018 I used some ultra-shitty, early run DragonDoor kettlebells. During some periods I used them constantly, during other periods (years even) they were expensive doorstops. However, an honest appraisal of my training led me to conclude that KBs were the most effective form of training, for my needs, that I had used and ever since then I have been using them consistently again.

I'm not much of a "stuff" person, the only thing I usually spend money on are books, but I do like having good training equipment. For that reason, I ponied up and bought a complete set (i.e., 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, and 32 kg) of pairs of kettlebells from Kettlebell Kings. I did a fair amount of reading, and was interested in the VF Precision bells, but they were no longer available by the time I was ready to buy, but the KB Kings ones just looked so nice and they received excellent reviews.

These are the ones I use now: https://www.kettlebellkings.com/competi ... ttlebells/

The drawback is that it took months for them to fill the order, many of them were on back order. I am still awaiting the 8s, 28s, and 32s which are supposed to be delivered late this month.

The positives are: they have had really excellent customer service, gave me some free stuff for being a good client, and best of all the quality of the bells is outstanding. After years and years of shredding my hands with handles that looked like a prisoner had filed them down, I am finally able to enjoy the smooth action of proper 35 mm handles, consistent size, and a proper finish that doesn't leave rust all over me and my clothing.

I would definitely recommend the KB Kings products I have experience with. I am curious what other folks who lift have been using and whether or not they would recommend them. Being that I am a solitary islander, I do not have much experience using any brand other than DD and KB Kings.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 am 

I have a 16kg red "Perform Better" bell, that I love, and a 20kg same brand in grey.

I've probly had them 10 or a dozen years. I don't think they sell this design anymore.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:23 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Not a brand recommendation, but I would advise to get competition size KBs. The advantage is the same shape and dimensions regardless of the weight.

I also have the adjustable KB from ebay. Surprisingly good quality and goes from 8 to 32 kg.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/32KG-Kettle ... 3217180925

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:13 am 

Quote:
Not a brand recommendation, but I would advise to get competition size KBs. The advantage is the same shape and dimensions regardless of the weight.

I also have the adjustable KB from ebay. Surprisingly good quality and goes from 8 to 32 kg.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/32KG-Kettle ... 3217180925

Is it safe enough to do swings, cleans and snatches?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:56 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Very solid. I snatched it all the time. You need Allen key to take it apart, and the plates inside are sitting on the thick bolt, fixed in place by a large nut, for which you also need a spanner.

Here is the video of a similar bell. In mine plates are smaller (I think), so you can increase the weight in the increments of 1 kg.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:55 am 

I have knock off comp style bells by a Canadian company called agatsu. Not sure if they’re still around.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:51 pm 

Quote:
I have knock off comp style bells by a Canadian company called agatsu. Not sure if they’re still around.
Yes, Shawn Mozen’s company is still alive and kicking. And their particular blend of mobility, bodyweight and KB workouts is quite interesting.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:28 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Does anyone here have experience with the VF precision bells?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Does anyone here have experience with the VF precision bells?
Yep. Probably the best kettlebells I’ve ever used. They truly are comfortable compared to standard sport bells.

http://www.myphysicalculture.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:46 pm 
Jesus Christ®

It's my understanding that these are no longer produced or sold, is that true?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:41 pm 
Sgt. Major

You can get them from Rogue now.

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-comp ... ettlebells

I have to second Dunn's comments. I didn't replace my entire collection with them, but had a couple of them and the shape was nice, but I really liked the handle vs. the normal shiny handles that often required some amount of sanding to hold chalk. I found also I didn't need much chalk for snatches with them which would actually be nice in the apartment setting I have now.

CI

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:29 pm 
Corporal

Quote:
You can get them from Rogue now.

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-comp ... ettlebells

I have to second Dunn's comments. I didn't replace my entire collection with them, but had a couple of them and the shape was nice, but I really liked the handle vs. the normal shiny handles that often required some amount of sanding to hold chalk. I found also I didn't need much chalk for snatches with them which would actually be nice in the apartment setting I have now.

CI
I have some of these, and they are choice.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:45 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Little birdy told me today that WKC are on the fence about resupplying their stock. The market is small. Potentially getting discounted pre-order offer up but who knows if they will do it. I'd like to see it happen since the bells really are that good.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:58 am 
Jesus Christ®

Is the WKC still a thing? I thought they were defunct?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:41 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Rookie Question: What brand/type bells accomodate 2 hand swings? I have Dragon Door Bells and they rub the crap out of my pinkie fingers.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Yep. They are still around.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:58 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Rookie Question: What brand/type bells accomodate 2 hand swings? I have Dragon Door Bells and they rub the crap out of my pinkie fingers.
Any comp bells should accommodate it, though I will ask....why two handed?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:15 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for your answer.

Many times I just prefer 2A swings. No special reason.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:56 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for your answer.

Many times I just prefer 2A swings. No special reason.
No prob.

And I can jive with that answer. From a grappling standpoint, I find the one arm stuff to be more applicable in terms of grip endurance. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:16 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Thanks, Josh. I'm just a KB dabbler but I'll experiment.

Are the grips you're talking about are Gi grips? Or both Gi & NoGi?

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:14 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Thanks, Josh. I'm just a KB dabbler but I'll experiment.

Are the grips you're talking about are Gi grips? Or both Gi & NoGi?
General grip endurance. I find that it helps in no gi as well with the arm and wrist control as well as being able to maintain locks and holds more surely. Grips and hips, amigo.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:57 pm 

Once I started with comp style bells, I couldn't go back. I should sell off my inventory.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:27 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Quote:
Yep. They are still around.
In what form? Do they have a web presence at all? Because I noticed that most of VF Workout and WKC/AKC videos have been removed from YouTube.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:27 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Once I started with comp style bells, I couldn't go back. I should sell off my inventory.
Werd.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:48 pm 
Lifetime IGer

I have majority AKC/WKC comp bells and a couple of sets of Perform Better comp bells. I like both.

https://vimeo.com/72300807