IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:09 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:08 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
Timed sets with kettlebells are indeed quite unique. Lots of exercise and the ability to fuck yourself up (in a good way) in a short period of time. The problem with Fedorenko was "grab more and throw further" approach. He is a talented athlete, but has no background in sport science and doesn't seem to have an idea of coaching people. Shit, how many fights we had here about this. I suspect most of those still interested in GS slowly defected to Rudnev.

On a different note, I really would like to come across data on the transfer of physical attributes from GS (long timed sets) to other sports. No luck so far.
I am extremely curious if you have ever seen Rudnev talk about training people for wrestling, MMA, or even just general fitness. I mean he runs the International Kettlebell Sport and FITNESS Association so...what does he think constitutes effective training for fitness? Any ideas? Unfortunately there's not much from him in chest-greasy lie-English.
At the time I was training under him he was the hot star of GS, and everyone wanted him for that. It was crazy: he did seminars around the world, and sometimes it was hard to get in touch with him straight away because of bis travels.

In terms of fitness, you can have a look at my training log: http://smetgs.blogspot.com.au/2013/?view=classic Look at the beginning (2013 in the blog archive), so you get a good idea of progression scheme. I was training only for snatch competition.

Every session generally consisted of three parts. One - EDT with a heavy bell. Two - 10 minute set with a light bell. Sometimes in slippery gloves. Main purpose of this was to force good technique. The grip in gloves fails fairly quickly, and in order to last 10 minutes the technique has to be close to perfect. Three - some sort of circuit and bodyweight squats. According to him 100 BW squats is equal to 1 km run. Actually, quite an underrated way to get some cardio in. Even if you take longer time between reps the effects accumulates.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:28 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Timed sets with kettlebells are indeed quite unique. Lots of exercise and the ability to fuck yourself up (in a good way) in a short period of time. The problem with Fedorenko was "grab more and throw further" approach. He is a talented athlete, but has no background in sport science and doesn't seem to have an idea of coaching people. Shit, how many fights we had here about this. I suspect most of those still interested in GS slowly defected to Rudnev.

On a different note, I really would like to come across data on the transfer of physical attributes from GS (long timed sets) to other sports. No luck so far.
I am extremely curious if you have ever seen Rudnev talk about training people for wrestling, MMA, or even just general fitness. I mean he runs the International Kettlebell Sport and FITNESS Association so...what does he think constitutes effective training for fitness? Any ideas? Unfortunately there's not much from him in chest-greasy lie-English.
At the time I was training under him he was the hot star of GS, and everyone wanted him for that. It was crazy: he did seminars around the world, and sometimes it was hard to get in touch with him straight away because of bis travels.

In terms of fitness, you can have a look at my training log: http://smetgs.blogspot.com.au/2013/?view=classic Look at the beginning (2013 in the blog archive), so you get a good idea of progression scheme. I was training only for snatch competition.

Every session generally consisted of three parts. One - EDT with a heavy bell. Two - 10 minute set with a light bell. Sometimes in slippery gloves. Main purpose of this was to force good technique. The grip in gloves fails fairly quickly, and in order to last 10 minutes the technique has to be close to perfect. Three - some sort of circuit and bodyweight squats. According to him 100 BW squats is equal to 1 km run. Actually, quite an underrated way to get some cardio in. Even if you take longer time between reps the effects accumulates.
I agree that they can be an underrated form of cardio. I’ve used them and hindu push-ups to good effect.

http://www.myphysicalculture.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:28 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree that they can be an underrated form of cardio. I’ve used them and hindu push-ups to good effect.

http://www.myphysicalculture.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:38 am 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info man, I will go check the link. Actually that's not terribly different than the Texas Kettlebell Academy's introduction to GS approach; they signed me up when I bought a bunch of kbs from Kettlebell Kings and the workouts were:

1. Warmup
2. Three sets of single KB complex = 5 reps each of half swing, clean, snatch, jerk, first set light, next two heavy
3. EDT of LCCJ
4. Jump squats, pushups, etc.

At any rate, something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:09 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Aaron Vyvial from TKA has spent time with Rudnev and all the rest of those Russian coaches, so I'm not surprised his format looks like that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:13 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Yup. What's the deal with Vyvial though? I liked the program that they sent out, and they seem like a good resource, but he's kinda portly to be coaching anything and is constantly name dropping people Furminator style. Also, he's a wing chun person which puts him somewhere between carnies and Amway salesmen on my BS meter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:25 pm 
Lifetime IGer

I like Aaron, have met him a few times, and went and hung out with him, John Buckley and Jason Dolby. I think, like Tom Furman, he's got a knowledge base that is somewhat outside my own. I don't know what the deal is with regards to him being 'portly', but I can sympathize, I am certainly not ripped and can't seem to get started lately, and recently he was accused of #metoo stuff. I'm not sure how that is panning out.

I think he works as a cameraman for movies among other things, or something like that besides the TKA and the Wing Chun stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:08 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Well, I'm probably just being petty it was just I noticed several red-flag type things from him. As I said, the program itself was pretty good. The blonde at TKA...me gusta.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:50 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Wrong thread

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:32 pm 
Staff Sergeant

I wondered what happened to him. It seems like a lot of names have dropped off the map or moved on. Geoff Newport, Lisa Shaffer...Mahler diversified and got into the hormone optimization thing. He was smart, you can't be a 1 trick pony.

I see Cotter on Twitter, but curious how he's making a living.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Good question!

http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=229480