IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:18 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:49 pm 
Jesus Christ®

After years of solid use as doorstops, over the past year I have gotten back into using kettlebells as my go-to for general fitness training. As I did, it became clear to me that, aside from the S&S prescription of swings and get ups, general usage of KBs may have peaked in the West. Either that or the market became so saturated and diffused that it's hard to get a sense of it. At any rate, to get the ball rolling again, I ask of the people remaining on this forum...who still trains with KBs?

And if so, in what manner?

And which KBs do you use or recommend?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:26 am 

Quote:
After years of solid use as doorstops, over the past year I have gotten back into using kettlebells as my go-to for general fitness training. As I did, it became clear to me that, aside from the S&S prescription of swings and get ups, general usage of KBs may have peaked in the West. Either that or the market became so saturated and diffused that it's hard to get a sense of it. At any rate, to get the ball rolling again, I ask of the people remaining on this forum...who still trains with KBs?
KBs, tarp bar and rings are my main training tools. I don't really need/want anything else.

The older I get, the more attracted I am to the Ido Portal, Steve Maxwell, Ryan Hurst and Ross Enamait methods.

I've been following this guy for a while and I do really like his approach to fitness:

https://movemoresitless.wordpress.com

https://www.instagram.com/m.eaux.tion/

Quote:
And if so, in what manner?
Dan John's Armor Building (slightly modified) workout is my weapon of choice:

2 cleans, 1 press, 3 front squats.

- Choose a *VERY* light pair of KBs: one you can strict press it at least five times. I would be even more conservative and choose my 8-10RM.

- Do five iterations of the 2-1-3 sequence and call it a day.

- Don't rush the reps, take your time between movements, make sure they all are beautiful, crisp reps. I also tend to rest between one minute and ninety seconds.

- Keep doing five sequences until it gets almost too easy.

- Then work your way up to ten sequences in the same manner.

- When it gets too easy again, try to get fifteen sequences (that's fifteen presses, thirty cleans and forty five squats total).

Once you can do those fifteen "easy" sets, there are two possible ways to progress:

- Bump the load a bit and start all over again at five sequences.

- Or do 4-2-6 instead of 3-1-2 and begin at five sequences. The ultimate goal would be being able to do fifteen sequences of 6-3-9 reps (ninety cleans, forty five presses and one hundred and thirty five squats). That would be complete KB ownage.

Aaaaaaand... if you are really, really, really a masochist, add some rack walks to the end of each sequence.

Now I'm also experimenting with a KB adaptation of the 5x5x5 Mind Over Muscle program, which is almost an Easy Strength thing:

- Training Monday to Friday.

- Very, very, very short sessions.

- Original Strength resets as a warm up.

- Exercises are: Cleans, OHP, Pull Ups, FSQ, Bent Row and Dips.

- One easy set (RPE 6-7) of 5-10 reps per exercise.

- Between 15-30 minutes of Maffetone long, slow running afterwards.

Basically, I'm trying to spread the load over the weekdays and see what happens.
Quote:
And which KBs do you use or recommend?
Competition bells for me. Keeps my technique consistent.

Kettlebell Kings' adjustable bell is supposed to be magnificent, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:16 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Thanks Subclaw.

Interesting to see that as a lot of folks get older, maintaining good movement, range of motion, etc. become more important than big lifts. I certainly feel that way. Also, keeping or adding back in the element of "fun"...ain't nobody paying for us to do this, we're not professionals, and it gets to something I've been thinking of frequently: a lot of folks approach training and exercise as a form of LARP'ing, pretending that they're something they're not, imitating people they're not, mimicking "elite" when they're not.

A lot of people, as they age, grow out of that and just want to feel/move/look well. It's certainly the arc that I've followed over the past few years, and it seems that you have too.

Interesting that you like Original Strength. Despite their goofy bible-school vibe they definitely are on to something. Every time I've done their basic 5 I felt great but I just feel like a fool twisting and crawling around on the ground. It's like Heavy Hands ad fat chicks.

Re: KB kings, I have a complete set of their competition line rolling in and I LOVE them. After 18 years of shitty DD bells it's heaven.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:14 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Instead of Original Strength, check out Bill Hartman's "All Gain No Pain"

https://www.amazon.com/ALL-GAIN-NO-PAIN ... B075VJYSD2

Initially underwhelming, his 'resets', based on what the Postural Restoration Institute does with breathing, seem to be very effective at improving the ROM in my shoulders and even other small aches and pains I've accumulated. This crept up on me, as I bought his book when it came out, tried some stuff, then discarded it, but recently regained the ability to lay flat on my back, lift my arms up and over and touch the floor. One simple reset movement gave me 6 inches of arc back.

For the record, it was this movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeDcF803qCU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:54 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I am thinking of starting timed sets with light bells. I think it can be useful for my pathetic grappling enudrance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:11 am 

Quote:
A lot of people, as they age, grow out of that and just want to feel/move/look well. It's certainly the arc that I've followed over the past few years, and it seems that you have too.
To be honest, at this point of my life, I don't really give a shit about my performance on the mat or being able to move an impressive load anymore (my lifetime's barbell PRs are less than warm up sets for a lot of folks here). I just want to have fun training and enjoy life.

Besides, I seriously doubt that anyone capable to lift a couple of 48K bells for reps while wearing a Mir weighted vest (my current goal) lacks anything in the strength department.
Quote:
Interesting that you like Original Strength. Despite their goofy bible-school vibe they definitely are on to something. Every time I've done their basic 5 I felt great but I just feel like a fool twisting and crawling around on the ground. It's like Heavy Hands ad fat chicks.
I still feel stupid doing their resets (rocking in public is a NO-NO), but I always feel better afterwards. That's why I am so interested in GMB's Elements (it seems a more structured way to do mobility -and fun- work).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:29 am 

Quote:
Instead of Original Strength, check out Bill Hartman's "All Gain No Pain"

https://www.amazon.com/ALL-GAIN-NO-PAIN ... B075VJYSD2

Initially underwhelming, his 'resets', based on what the Postural Restoration Institute does with breathing, seem to be very effective at improving the ROM in my shoulders and even other small aches and pains I've accumulated. This crept up on me, as I bought his book when it came out, tried some stuff, then discarded it, but recently regained the ability to lay flat on my back, lift my arms up and over and touch the floor. One simple reset movement gave me 6 inches of arc back.

For the record, it was this movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeDcF803qCU

It seems interesting. Thanks, Shaf, I'll take a closer look later.

By the way, I saw you on the Andrew Read's private FB group. Any chance you write a review of his program?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:18 pm 
Lifetime IGer

I don't do his program. Andrew used that group as a funnel for sales, which is ok, as he provides a pretty decent amount of information for free.

I enjoy how Andrew talks about how drinking even an occasional alcoholic drink is bad for health, yet motorcycles extensively.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:58 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
I am thinking of starting timed sets with light bells. I think it can be useful for my pathetic grappling enudrance.
Timed set clean and pushpress has gone a long way to increasing my mat strength. Swap on the minute at first and then slowly start adding time to the swap. Same with bell size, start light and work to a moderate-heavy weight. Goal should be 6-8 rpm. Easy mix of ballistic and grindy strength endurance and it keeps the HR in the 120-150 range if done correctly.

Another grip tool you may want to look into is making a gada/mace. Go light. 10-20 lbs is a good start. It works good grip endurance and also is great for that thoracic/shoulder flexibility that is often lacking in the adult genpop.

http://www.myphysicalculture.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:13 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Doing lots of 24kg swings grease the groove style. Sets of 20. My classroom is 100 yards from my apartment, so I go home to see the wife and kid and bang 20 at a time. Averaging 200+ a day. Just trying to do something while teaching and coaching.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:13 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Doing lots of 24kg swings grease the groove style. Sets of 20. My classroom is 100 yards from my apartment, so I go home to see the wife and kid and bang 20 at a time. Averaging 200+ a day. Just trying to do something while teaching and coaching.
Wait...you bang 20 kids at a time? TMI for this thread brah. Don't make it weird.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:52 am 
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
Quote:
Wait...you bang 20 kids at a time? TMI for this thread brah. Don't make it weird.
That post could have gone better.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:19 pm 
Sgt. Major

Still do at 67, restarting with swings until shoulder is rehabbed. Prior to my last srgry.(Jan) it was swings, Cl+Pr, goblet sq.& dbl. front sq, and rows with kb's. Good to see you back Fat Cat.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:54 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Good to see you(r) Dik! What do you think fucked up your shoulder?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:18 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Still do 90% of my workouts with kettlebells. Doing total tension complex right now. I'll do More Kettlebell Muscle Programs, EDT.

Sticking mostly with 45's and 55's. 70's once in a while, but don't feel like getting hurt.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:24 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Ha, you just answered the question I posed to you in the other thread. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:33 pm 
Sgt. Major

Quote:
Good to see you(r) Dik! What do you think fucked up your shoulder?
Bench pressing from my teens into my mid 40's. Final straw(s) was pushed for extra reps doing behind neck presses on cable machine(L-side) and taking a back flip out of grandkids pool landing on right arm. Plus tore my bicep tendon so surgeon had more repair work. He told me later, that my injuries were mostly done long ago and almost non-repairable.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:33 pm 
Lifetime IGer

I still train with them but not as much as I used to. Mainly timed single arm stuff now like 1 arm long cycle or push press switching on the minute. Duration anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. I would like to add in snatches as well.

https://vimeo.com/72300807

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:56 pm 
Jesus Christ®

It seems to me that most people who train with kettlebells for purposes other than GS tend to do single arm stuff. The sole exception is maybe LCCJ.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:51 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I started doing some cardio to improve my pathetic grappling fitness. The plan is stationary bike, jogging and 10 min snatch sets switching hands more than once. Today snatched 12 kg for 10 minutes at 15 reps per minute, switching hands every minute. Testing the waters. This one was easy, more of a warm up. 16 kg next time.

You are right, one arm seems more suitable for accessory work. I will try contact Rudnev to ask for his advice.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:12 am 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
I started doing some cardio to improve my pathetic grappling fitness. The plan is stationary bike, jogging and 10 min snatch sets switching hands more than once. Today snatched 12 kg for 10 minutes at 15 reps per minute, switching hands every minute. Testing the waters. This one was easy, more of a warm up. 16 kg next time.

You are right, one arm seems more suitable for accessory work. I will try contact Rudnev to ask for his advice.
Man, I would absolutely LOVE to know what he would suggest for the "everyman" grappler. Not peaking high-performance athletes preparing for a competition, mind you, but regular training for regular folks in support of grappling.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:04 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I’m curious as well. I’d probably lean towards C&PP and SN for accessory work for grappling.

http://www.myphysicalculture.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:07 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Dunn, while we wait check out the video Sangoma posted of Rudnev showing variants of the spider kick. There's some pretty neat stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:36 am 

Still my main form of exercise. Mostly kettlebell “jogging” we discussed a few years ago. Set the clock for 10, 15, 20 minutes etc. And then go non stop switching hands every 5, 8, 10 reps etc. Depending on how I feel.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:42 am 

My garage has become a storage room for a few months now and will for a few more. So I (securely) fitted an old doorway chin up bar in the apartment and grabbed my pairs of 16kg and 24kg KBs.

Started doing Dan John's Amour Building Complex and worked up to EMOM for 10 minutes with the pair of 24kgs (building up from 5 minute EMOM and adding a minute whenever i completed a solid session). Followed this with a 5 rounds tri-set of 15 feet elevated push-ups, 5 weighted chin-ups and 10 rollouts.
Done 3 times a week.

Alongside with cycling, ocean swimming, BJJ and Kali, I can see more of this type of KB usage in my training.

Side note: With the 24kbs I had become so weak that a little knee dip was required to even double press them at the beginning. The ABC at EMOM was a really good GTG for getting stronger in the double shoulder press.