IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:19 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:48 am 
Jesus Christ®

Anyone use these or have any opinion about them? It seems more oriented for the women's market, but then again I'm pretty much using women's weight kbs so...yeah. Maybe when I get to 28 or 32 kg kbs for reps I will change my tune.

https://www.kettleguard.com/store/

Which of you soy boys have used them and to what, if any, effect.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:27 am 

Paraphrasing Rippetoe: If you are going to use wrist straps, just make sure they match your purse. :finga:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:38 pm 
Sgt. Major

They sent me a pair a long time ago. By the time I started using them, I really didn't need them but I think they are great for people who don't want to develop the "bump" on your wrist you get after lots of reps and they are great for those with genuine discomfort just because of where the bell rests on the wrist/upper forearm - even if the bell is sitting correctly. I also found them to be great for teaching people snatches since the bells crashing into the forearm really inhibited some people from learning proper technique. They aren't so thick that they are going to offer a whole lot of protection, but will definitely make holding the bell more comfortable for some especially once you are racking heavier bells. I also had some VF Kettleshields. They were thicker and I did find myself using them for heavier weights (when I used to play around with heavier weights).

CI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:57 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
They sent me a pair a long time ago. By the time I started using them, I really didn't need them but I think they are great for people who don't want to develop the "bump" on your wrist you get after lots of reps and they are great for those with genuine discomfort just because of where the bell rests on the wrist/upper forearm - even if the bell is sitting correctly. I also found them to be great for teaching people snatches since the bells crashing into the forearm really inhibited some people from learning proper technique. They aren't so thick that they are going to offer a whole lot of protection, but will definitely make holding the bell more comfortable for some especially once you are racking heavier bells. I also had some VF Kettleshields. They were thicker and I did find myself using them for heavier weights (when I used to play around with heavier weights).

CI
Nailed it.

I use VF Kettleshields but I’ve since removed the plastic insert. I don’t mind the forearm bump. For genpop they are really useful in not detracting folks from the initial hitting of the bell to forearm that happens. I’ve explained it before by saying that it prevents the minor forearm discomfort from getting in the way of getting to a point where the larger target muscles are fatigued.

http://www.myphysicalculture.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:17 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I sometimes use wrist bands tennis players use, when I am in a whimpy mood and don't want to tolerate KBs hurting my skin. But then it happened many times when I forgot to put them on before doing a long set, and after a few reps my forearms seem to adapt. I would be cautious though to use hard protectors, I think they will prevent from developing good technique of landing the bell on the arm. Which is not a rocket science by a long shot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:11 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Thanks for the responses. Training in Hawaii is always a sweaty affair, no matter the time of year, so I have been considering a pair of sweatbands. Then, I saw the kettleguard and/or kettleshield type things and thought it might be worth it. Sounds like maybe not from what I'm hearing here tho.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:17 pm 

Quote:
I’ve explained it before by saying that it prevents the minor forearm discomfort from getting in the way of getting to a point where the larger target muscles are fatigued.
That's my excuse for using Barehand Gloves when I deadlift. Prevents the grip discomfort from the knurling digging into the pads at the base of my knuckles, from interfering with getting enough reps for the larger target muscles.

Quote:
Quote:
I think they are great for people who don't want to develop the "bump" on your wrist you get after lots of reps
I don’t mind the forearm bump. For genpop they are really useful in not detracting folks from the initial hitting of the bell to forearm that happens.
But, I thought there wasn't supposed to BE any "hit" of the bell against the forearm? Aren't you supposed to learn the technique where you sort of twist your wrist at the end of the lift? So your "punch" and the momentum of the bell stop pretty much at once? With the bell just resting against your wrist? That way the bell doesn't flip over your hand and come crashing down on your forearm.

I thought this little trick was a key point of "technique" for the snatch.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:38 am 
Sergeant Commanding

In GS the top of the snatch has to be very smooth for the sake of economy, and the bell indeed lands very gently if the technique is correct. After all, top grievous snatch 32 kg for crazy reps without problems. I would hypothesise that not protecting the forearms may force better technique and prevent more serious damage, such as forearm fractures - there are more than one case of that in Google.

Curiously enough, there is another bump in KB snatch that is overlooked. When lowering the bell in GS you lean the torso backwards, and if you get the angle wrong the elbow hits the chest and can inflict damage. I got what I think was stress rib fracture this way in 2014. Not confirmed by x-ray, but fitting the picture clinically. I guess high repetition anything is not very kind to the body.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:13 am 
Jesus Christ®

In my enthusiasm, I definitely dented my forearms pretty well when I first started training with kbs way back in the day. That's part of the problem of so-called hard style spaz lifting. As soon as I was introduced the idea of efficiency in kb lifting it stopped being a problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:41 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Same. I like them for the heavy bells but they aren’t necessary with the right technique. Depending on your genes you still may develop the KB bump, but it doesn’t have to be painful.

http://www.myphysicalculture.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:07 pm 
Sarge

I have Kettleguards and I like them. I'll use them if I've had a lay off from using the bells for a time to let my forearms get used to having the weight resting against them again. Gradually I will use them less and less until I don't use them at all.

If you are worried about sweat, you can go the VF route and simply use an Ace bandage around your wrist to catch and wipe the sweat.