International Kettlebell and Fitness Federation (IKFF)

The only place you can learns about balls.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

International Kettlebell and Fitness Federation (IKFF)

Post by Fat Cat » Thu May 10, 2018 8:11 pm

Hanglow Joe posed the question and I thought it merited its own discussion. Does anyone know what the current state of the IKFF is? Is it still actively support kettlebell sport or has it sort of devolved into a certification mill that also sells kettlebells?

Steve Cotter, I think everyone knows, is a pretty amazing athlete and certainly has the chops to be a great instructor as well. He was very generous with his time and energy to me personally in the past, but I haven't had any contact with him in some time. It certainly can't be "easy" to make a living among the vast herds of "certified" kb trainers out there, including the Russians et al. who have the cache of sports titles and Eastern European mystique.

Does anyone know what they are up to? Also, does the IKFF have a basic fitness template? What is it that they teach at their certifications? I've tried looking through the website but it's more than a little cumbersome and there isn't really a clear distinction between their book and DVD products that I can decipher (i.e., start here, progress to here, then do this).
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: International Kettlebell and Fitness Federation (IKFF)

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Don't know about the IKFF as an org, but Steve is still actively teaching in Europe and Asia, particularly India. He was recently endorsing a shakeweight looking thing from Dave Weck, which actually looked like it might be useful, though I hate writing that.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Mon May 14, 2018 3:52 pm

Steve Cotter teaches outside of NA, Ken Blackburn teaches inside NA.

I haven't been in touch with Ken for a few years, and Steve even longer than that. Their fitness emphasis still leads towards longer duration kettlebell sets along with some kind of squatting and pulling and pressing movements.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon May 14, 2018 9:31 pm

But how do they "transmit" their curriculum? I mean, is there a book or something that lays it out?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González