IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:09 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:11 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Hanglow Joe posed the question and I thought it merited its own discussion. Does anyone know what the current state of the IKFF is? Is it still actively support kettlebell sport or has it sort of devolved into a certification mill that also sells kettlebells?

Steve Cotter, I think everyone knows, is a pretty amazing athlete and certainly has the chops to be a great instructor as well. He was very generous with his time and energy to me personally in the past, but I haven't had any contact with him in some time. It certainly can't be "easy" to make a living among the vast herds of "certified" kb trainers out there, including the Russians et al. who have the cache of sports titles and Eastern European mystique.

Does anyone know what they are up to? Also, does the IKFF have a basic fitness template? What is it that they teach at their certifications? I've tried looking through the website but it's more than a little cumbersome and there isn't really a clear distinction between their book and DVD products that I can decipher (i.e., start here, progress to here, then do this).

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Don't know about the IKFF as an org, but Steve is still actively teaching in Europe and Asia, particularly India. He was recently endorsing a shakeweight looking thing from Dave Weck, which actually looked like it might be useful, though I hate writing that.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:52 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Steve Cotter teaches outside of NA, Ken Blackburn teaches inside NA.

I haven't been in touch with Ken for a few years, and Steve even longer than that. Their fitness emphasis still leads towards longer duration kettlebell sets along with some kind of squatting and pulling and pressing movements.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:31 pm 
Jesus Christ®

But how do they "transmit" their curriculum? I mean, is there a book or something that lays it out?