IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:15 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:40 pm 
Jesus Christ®

So last night I began playing around with the AKC Fitness Template that Shaf very kindly provided. I have attached it here in case anyone else is interested; it's also in the Fedorenko thread. IMHO, it's interesting enough that it merits additional examination, and I'm going to use this thread to discuss my thoughts and questions that come up.

So...here's what I think I understand of it...anybody with experience with the AKC, please correct me if I get things wrong.

STEP 1 - "Grab a kettlebell..." Easy enough, but I would like guidance as to what the methodology was. Does everyone start at 8 kg and move up as quickly as possible? Or were men and women assigned a basic starting weight, like in Simple and Sinister (i.e., men at 16 kg and women at 12 kg)? Or do you just select one which feels right for you to start the Level 1 process?

STEP 2 -"Pick three exercises from the list". The list of exercises is as follows, with Repetitions Per Minute (RPM) in parentheses:

1. One Arm Clean (4-16)
2. One Arm Press (4-12)
3. One Arm Push Press (4-16)
4. One Arm Jerk (4-16)
5. One Arm Long Cycle Clean and Press (4-8)
6. One Arm Long Cycle Push Press (4-10)
7. One Arm Long Cycle Clean and Jerk (4-12)
8. Half Snatch (4-10)
9. Snatch (4-20)
10. One Arm Bottom Up Clean (4-16)
11. One Arm Bottom Up Press (4-12)
12. One Arm Bottom Up Push Press (4-10)
13. One Arm Long Cycle Bottom Up Press (4-8)
14. One Arm Long Cycle Bottom Up Push Press (4-10)
15. Swing (29-36)

...so the first question is "which three?" Say you work out three days a week, do you rotate? Do you randomly select? What guides the selection process? For my experiment last night I used: http://www.randomnumbergenerator.com/ which lets you define the set and then randomly selects from it. I ended up with: Swing, Long Cycle Clean and Push Press, and Clean.

(to be cont'd.)

Attachments:
File comment: The AKC Fitness Template, courtesy of Shaf:
AKC Fitness Framework.pdf [86.54 KiB]
Downloaded 76 times

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:54 pm 
Jesus Christ®

STEP 3 - Select a Level...for my purpose, I just started at Level 1. I suppose that ought to be intuitive, but for someone with experience in kettlebell lifting, starting at Level 1 could be seen as a complete waste of time. I suppose if you spend a few workouts rapidly advancing through the lower levels, it's not a big deal but the real question is this: how do you know when to advance to the next level? In the template that we have there's no real guidance, however...

We do have RPM ranges. My working theory is that when you reach a certain RPM max, then it's time to advance to the next level, but there's a few issues with that approach and I am curious what other people think. Given that you can either have a programmed selection of exercises or you can randomly select them, people are going to advance at different exercises at different paces.

For example, last night I used a 20 kg for my workout. It was Level 1 so everything about it was easy, and I exceeded the RPM maximum for LCCP and Clean, but not for Swing. Do I stay with this until I meet the RPM max for all three? On one level that would make sense, but not if you are changing exercises around from workout to workout. So then, are you supposed to select three exercises and stay with them for a while? If so, then you get a lot less variety than the template would suggest. Or are you supposed to just intuitively know that if you have been on Level 1 for a while and most of the time you achieve the rep max on most exercises it's time to move on?

(cont'd.)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:07 pm 
Jesus Christ®

STEP 4 - Unresolved questions. There are many, beyond the ones I have posed above...

How many times per week is this intended to be used?

Were there any other essential fitness components that were intended to go along with this template, such as jogging or pullups or whatever?

I've heard reference to the WKC "Elite Fitness Protocol" and I want to understand the relationship of this AKC template to that. In that program, as I understand it gleaning from second hand sources, there were named workouts (i.e., "Redwood") with specific exercises prescribed. This is interesting to me because it would solve the question of when to advance between levels. If a workout consisted of say Half Snatch, Bottoms Up Press, and LCCJ you would know when to advance when you had reached to the RPM max with a given weight at a given level. With randomly selected exercises, you don't have that advantage. But of course, this begs the question: what were the exercises prescribed? How many different ones were there? Did the different named workouts have different emphases? Or were they all generalized "fitness" workouts with a balance of movements?

How come certain exercises that Valery's coach Pantelis Filikidis used in his fitness program at Crossgym.gr such as Turkish Getups, Seated Presses, etc. aren't used? Is it because he doesn't like these exercises or simply doesn't consider them fundamental?

There's a lot more but I would be stoked to discuss this with people who are interested, and in particular, people who have experience with the folks who created this system.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:45 pm 
Jesus Christ®

According to this link: http://www.ironbellathletics.com/tag/wk ... ss-manual/

Some of the named workouts in the AKC/WKC "Elite Fitness Protocol" were:

"Brooklynite" which was Clean, Press, Clean

and

"Redwood" which was Push Press, Half Snatch, Long Cycle Push Press

...also it seems that there is a specific beginning weight for men (12 kg) and women (8 kg).

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:53 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

If I remember correctly the idea was to progress to the duration of the set at given RPM. Both of these can be set individually, depending on the goal. Say, you want to compete in GS, choose LCCJ and so have to progress to 10 minute set. You start with - say - 16 kg bells, lift at 5 reps per minute for 2 minutes. Next session - same weigh and RPM, progress to 3 minutes and so on. When you manage to do 10 minute set you can increase RPM and start from 2 minutes again. Once you get to what you think is meaningful RPM then you increase the weight.

Initial duration, weight and RPM - up to you. Never a problem to start too low/slow/short. It would let you "get into gear" and you can quickly progress to the parameters that become meaningful to you.

I didn't like this template. The problem starts when the weight becomes significant. Then you will have several sessions where you have to do long sets with heavy weights - 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 minutes. Too much of a load in my opinion. Rudnev was all about waving of the load. He even had this metaphor comparing the load with ECG: constant load is straight line, the ECG of a dead person; varying amplitude - ECG of a normal person. He was also big on supplemental training - circuits etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:13 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
If I remember correctly the idea was to progress to the duration of the set at given RPM. Both of these can be set individually, depending on the goal. Say, you want to compete in GS, choose LCCJ and so have to progress to 10 minute set. You start with - say - 16 kg bells, lift at 5 reps per minute for 2 minutes. Next session - same weigh and RPM, progress to 3 minutes and so on. When you manage to do 10 minute set you can increase RPM and start from 2 minutes again. Once you get to what you think is meaningful RPM then you increase the weight.

Are you sure you are talking about the AKC Fitness Template that I attached? Because it never proceeds to 10 minute sets. It's more of an escalating density protocol, where the longest possible set is 6:00 (i.e., 3:00 per hand). At "Level 20" you would do 6:00, rest 00:30, do 6:00 of a second exercise, rest 30 seconds and do 6:00 of a final exercise. Take a look at the template. Also, under this protocol you only ever use one bell, never two, so there's not much connection to GS-style jerks or LCCJ.
Quote:
Initial duration, weight and RPM - up to you. Never a problem to start too low/slow/short. It would let you "get into gear" and you can quickly progress to the parameters that become meaningful to you.

Again, it sounds like you experienced something rather different than the AKC template that Shaf provided. According to what I have uncovered, the initial weight, duration of set, rest periods, and RPM are all defined.
Quote:
I didn't like this template. The problem starts when the weight becomes significant. Then you will have several sessions where you have to do long sets with heavy weights - 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 minutes. Too much of a load in my opinion. Rudnev was all about waving of the load. He even had this metaphor comparing the load with ECG: constant load is straight line, the ECG of a dead person; varying amplitude - ECG of a normal person. He was also big on supplemental training - circuits etc.
That's very interesting and something I am wondering about with regard to this protocol, but as I pointed out earlier, you will never go beyond 6:00 sets in this template. I think that V. Fedorenko considered 6:00 to be adequate for non-GS specific training, because I notice that his Kettlebell Pentathlon was set up the same way (five exercises for a six minute set each). However, the point about a steadily increasing load is well taken and I like Rudnev's parallel to an electrocardiogram.

If I think about it, the "wave" effect would happen between weights. Once you have reached Level 20 at a given weight, or with a given trio of exercises, you back down to Level 1 where volume, etc. drops way back.

Thoughts? I appreciate your viewpoint as you have dealt with many of these people in the past when I was pretty much ignoring all of it.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:55 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure you are talking about the AKC Fitness Template that I attached? Because it never proceeds to 10 minute sets. It's more of an escalating density protocol, where the longest possible set is 6:00 (i.e., 3:00 per hand). At "Level 20" you would do 6:00, rest 00:30, do 6:00 of a second exercise, rest 30 seconds and do 6:00 of a final exercise. Take a look at the template. Also, under this protocol you only ever use one bell, never two, so there's not much connection to GS-style jerks or LCCJ.
Quote:

Again, it sounds like you experienced something rather different than the AKC template that Shaf provided. According to what I have uncovered, the initial weight, duration of set, rest periods, and RPM are all defined.
Quote:
That's very interesting and something I am wondering about with regard to this protocol, but as I pointed out earlier, you will never go beyond 6:00 sets in this template. I think that V. Fedorenko considered 6:00 to be adequate for non-GS specific training, because I notice that his Kettlebell Pentathlon was set up the same way (five exercises for a six minute set each). However, the point about a steadily increasing load is well taken and I like Rudnev's parallel to an electrocardiogram.

If I think about it, the "wave" effect would happen between weights. Once you have reached Level 20 at a given weight, or with a given trio of exercises, you back down to Level 1 where volume, etc. drops way back.

Thoughts? I appreciate your viewpoint as you have dealt with many of these people in the past when I was pretty much ignoring all of it.

You got the gist of it with the bold. Work your way through the levels at your given weight and reset once you move up. As to weight selection, VF is fond of 16kg starting for men, 8-10kg for women. Average progression for guys would be 16-20-24-28-32kg. Also, 6 mins is his ideal set time for non-GS lifters. The named workouts you speak of are just different mixes of three complementary exercises.

http://www.myphysicalculture.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:58 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Dunn, do you know any more of the "named workout" combinations? I'm very curious about the exercise selection combos.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:42 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Dunn, do you know any more of the "named workout" combinations? I'm very curious about the exercise selection combos.
They were just sample routines. I dug out my old paper copy. I can scan it in the next day or so for you if you like. Shoot me a pm to remind me with your email and I can send it to you.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:25 am 
Jesus Christ®

That's very generous of you, I will send you a PM.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:35 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I got the details wrong, but I think general idea is more or less the same. The progression is

1. Reducing rest intervals
2. Increasing the duration of the set
3. Increasing RPM
4. Increasing the weight of the bells

Sure, there is automatic variation, but from level 13 to 20 - one third of the microcycle - you are doing 5 and six minute sets. And if, for example, you are doing three exercises back to back I think it's just too much.

At some point in my musings on the GSafter40 I was arguing that with longer sets intensity is directly related to the duration of thre set. In other words, at given RPM one 5 minute set is more intensity than five 1 minute sets separated by 1 minute rest. It's the same volume, but lifted in half the time. Without getting into semantics, PRE of longer sets is no doubt higher. So I think variation in this template is not sufficient.

In case of snatch Rudnev's way to increase variation was to tweak the lift: snatch with extra swing, snatch with static hold at the top etc. If this would be relevant for those training for general fitness I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:54 am 

Would it be advisable/useful to do sets of DKBFS 'girevoy-sport style?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:56 pm 
Lifetime IGer

IIRC, VFed et al strongly recommended jogging or light running as a cyclical aerobic activity to accompany the kb work.

One thing that didn't get bandied around a lot was that someone had a compounding pharmacist buddy who could provide higher dose testosterone cream with a prescription and this was allegedly useful

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:56 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
I got the details wrong, but I think general idea is more or less the same. The progression is

1. Reducing rest intervals
2. Increasing the duration of the set
3. Increasing RPM
4. Increasing the weight of the bells

Sure, there is automatic variation, but from level 13 to 20 - one third of the microcycle - you are doing 5 and six minute sets. And if, for example, you are doing three exercises back to back I think it's just too much.
That's a legitimate concern. As I mentioned somewhere here recently, I have always struggled with how you make progress on a supplementary "fitness" training without totally derailing your main activities, be they work or sports or both.

Quote:
At some point in my musings on the GSafter40 I was arguing that with longer sets intensity is directly related to the duration of thre set. In other words, at given RPM one 5 minute set is more intensity than five 1 minute sets separated by 1 minute rest. It's the same volume, but lifted in half the time. Without getting into semantics, PRE of longer sets is no doubt higher. So I think variation in this template is not sufficient.
No doubt. Long periods of time under weight can be agonizing and very mentally taxing.
Quote:
In case of snatch Rudnev's way to increase variation was to tweak the lift: snatch with extra swing, snatch with static hold at the top etc. If this would be relevant for those training for general fitness I don't know.
In my opinion, the ex-Soviet guys are the most experienced kettlebell lifters in the world and have the largest base of knowledge regarding proper use of kettlebells as training tools. Virtually anything and everything you can do with a kettlebell has been thought of and experimented with, at length, by some crazy pickle-eating Russian in his basement. Thus, it makes sense to use them as the "starting point" or reference for correct use of KBs.

However, there's a world of difference in doing something as a competitive sport using elite athletes, and developing a protocol broad enough to serve average people who want to use kettlebells to develop strength, endurance, cardiovascular health, and flexibility. My interest in the WKC protocol is that it is precisely that: an attempt by a "Russian" (albeit from Kazakhstan) specialist to apply his knowledge to the broad masses. It may well be that it takes further development to wave the load more, or to broaden it to address weak links in the kettlebell's development of the lifter (e.g., jogging, pull-ups, core exercises, etc.) but that's why I want to play with it and see how it works. Only by using it as a starting point can I really tease out the problems, challenges, and opportunities along the way.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:46 am 
Jesus Christ®

Now that folks have access to the whole document (see MEGA "kettlecrap" subfolder) there are other questions I would appreciate clarification on:

1. Basic vs. Advanced..."Basic Training indicates performing the fitness routine one complete time through. Advanced Training indicates performing the fitness routine two complete times through." O...kayyy? But when does one advance from basic to advanced? And do you always do advanced? Or do you alternate back and forth according to some schedule? That, in itself, would represent a form of cycling but it's not clear how it's intended. It also touches on a related subject...

2. How many times per week? It sorta appears that three times per week was the intent, but it doesn't explicitly say so, as far as I can tell. Does anyone know? And once you know how many days per week, are all of them basic, all of them advanced, or some mixture?

3. Diet and Recovery. If training protocol is one aspect of training, the other two critical things are diet and recuperation. There is nothing at all related to these subjects in the protocol; however, I am willing to bet that people who have worked with V. Fedorenko, P. Filikidis, I. Denisov and other related coaches have heard something about their recommendations. Also, while "recover" may refer to rest, it can also include supplementary exercises, like the jogging Shaf mentioned. That's fine but...

4. If running is recommended, how much? How often? At what pace? Or are their other activities that are recommended. Pull ups, pushups, etc?

5. Warmup. It states, "...the Lifter should be very well warmed up before beginning any Kettlebell Lifts. Joint Mobility is part of the System, but 5-10 repetitions of each exercise in the selected Routine is advised as part of the warmup. This primes the body for those movements before going through with the Routine." I have seen V. Fedorenko's j-mo warm up routine, so I have some sense of that, but does anyone know of other resources (i.e., other than Fedorenko's Fundamentals DVD).

6. More on recovery, specifically stretching...What are the critical stretches that should be done after kettlebell fitness training? Did the WKC have any specific flexibility training or stretching for recovery?

Sorry for the screed, but I have many questions.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:48 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I am overstepping my competence here, but my thoughts on supplementary training are as follows. I think Easy Strength by PT and DJ laid down principles of supplemental training better than any other source. Low volume, high(er) intensity, infrequent. In their strength template it's 10 reps of heavy weight per session: 2 sets of 5, 3 sets of 3, 5 doubles and, sometimes, heavy singles, though less than ten. This kind of workout should leave you feeling invigorated rather than tired or, as is tradition, fucked up, "lying naked in a pool of blood". You increase the weight when the current one becomes too easy.

Curiously enough, in the endurance world the Maffetone protocol - which apparently has been successfully used by serious trainees in triathlon - calls for the reduction in intensity, quite drastic. His HR formula;a is not the traditional 220 - the age, but 180 - the age, plus-minus five to ten beats/min according to your age and fitness level. In case of running the progress has to be made at HR not higher than the prescribed.

In case of kettlebells both principles can be the implemented. The workout should have two parts: strength and endurance. In strength part (should be done first) weights are heavy, reps low. In endurance - long timed sets with light bells.

At my current level of KB "expertise" I would probably do the following:

1. Snatch: 20 kg/10 reps x 3 sets
2. 2 x 20 kg jerk/10 reps x 3 sets

Untimed and liberal rest

3. 12 kg snatch: 10 minutes, switching hands on the minute or every N number of reps.

I think it is important to start the endurance part with low weight. The progress here is RPM: once you get to 200 reps in 10 minutes you increase the weight by 1 kg (I used to stick 1 kg plate to the KB with the duct tape, works just fine). Progress in part one is the weight of the bells.

In any case, this is just an idea. The workout should be stimulating and not exhausting. There is room for experimentation in part two in terms of hand switching: if you want more grip work increase the time between switches. Snatching in gloves also makes your grip noticeable to other people in your handshake.

In any case, this is something like that I am going to add to my BJJ training. I will let the Brethren know if it helps me in any way in grappling.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:54 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Now that folks have access to the whole document (see MEGA "kettlecrap" subfolder) there are other questions I would appreciate clarification on:

1. Basic vs. Advanced..."Basic Training indicates performing the fitness routine one complete time through. Advanced Training indicates performing the fitness routine two complete times through." O...kayyy? But when does one advance from basic to advanced? And do you always do advanced? Or do you alternate back and forth according to some schedule? That, in itself, would represent a form of cycling but it's not clear how it's intended. It also touches on a related subject...

2. How many times per week? It sorta appears that three times per week was the intent, but it doesn't explicitly say so, as far as I can tell. Does anyone know? And once you know how many days per week, are all of them basic, all of them advanced, or some mixture?

3. Diet and Recovery. If training protocol is one aspect of training, the other two critical things are diet and recuperation. There is nothing at all related to these subjects in the protocol; however, I am willing to bet that people who have worked with V. Fedorenko, P. Filikidis, I. Denisov and other related coaches have heard something about their recommendations. Also, while "recover" may refer to rest, it can also include supplementary exercises, like the jogging Shaf mentioned. That's fine but...

4. If running is recommended, how much? How often? At what pace? Or are their other activities that are recommended. Pull ups, pushups, etc?

5. Warmup. It states, "...the Lifter should be very well warmed up before beginning any Kettlebell Lifts. Joint Mobility is part of the System, but 5-10 repetitions of each exercise in the selected Routine is advised as part of the warmup. This primes the body for those movements before going through with the Routine." I have seen V. Fedorenko's j-mo warm up routine, so I have some sense of that, but does anyone know of other resources (i.e., other than Fedorenko's Fundamentals DVD).

6. More on recovery, specifically stretching...What are the critical stretches that should be done after kettlebell fitness training? Did the WKC have any specific flexibility training or stretching for recovery?

Sorry for the screed, but I have many questions.

1). Typically if you were doing 3x a week then it work out to 2 hard sessions and one easier session, in that order.

2). 3-4x a week. As above, the last session would be an easier one.

3). Diet was moderation. For comp lifting, VF recommended having a light stomach before lifting. I wanna say maybe a little honey or something 20-30 mins prior to lifting and then a decent meal after.

4). Running was to “open the lungs”. Think slowish recovery pace. Unless I had a particular PT test coming up VF and Eric were both OK with a 9-10 minute mile pace. Focus was on easy breathing and light steps. Stretch the legs and lungs, save the intensity for the bells. Average distance 2-4 miles. Other things VF recommended was 1-2 sets of dead hang pull-ups, allowing the dead hang to last for a few breaths. He felt that it helped with the compression of the bells and opened the thoracic area for better lockout. Never got any recommendations for pushups as he felt the press and pushpress were decently filling that area.

5). Warmup as stated with some practice reps of each exercise along with basic school gym stretches: arm circles, torso twists, some basic squats. He didn’t want you to be too loose but the body needed to be primed.

6). Again, dead hangs were the biggest takeaway. Everything else was athlete specific. VF recommended the running after his lifting since you were already spent from the session, you were more likely to treat it as a recovery run.

Hope that helped.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:39 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
I am overstepping my competence here
That's what we do here. \:D/
Quote:
In case of kettlebells both principles can be the implemented. The workout should have two parts: strength and endurance. In strength part (should be done first) weights are heavy, reps low. In endurance - long timed sets with light bells.

At my current level of KB "expertise" I would probably do the following:

1. Snatch: 20 kg/10 reps x 3 sets
2. 2 x 20 kg jerk/10 reps x 3 sets

Untimed and liberal rest

3. 12 kg snatch: 10 minutes, switching hands on the minute or every N number of reps.
This seems to be the basic approach of kettlebells period, whether done as the main training or as a supplement to something else. Some work on the heavy side, followed by a long set or two for endurance at a lighter weight.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:38 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
1). Typically if you were doing 3x a week then it work out to 2 hard sessions and one easier session, in that order.

2). 3-4x a week. As above, the last session would be an easier one.

3). Diet was moderation. For comp lifting, VF recommended having a light stomach before lifting. I wanna say maybe a little honey or something 20-30 mins prior to lifting and then a decent meal after.

4). Running was to “open the lungs”. Think slowish recovery pace. Unless I had a particular PT test coming up VF and Eric were both OK with a 9-10 minute mile pace. Focus was on easy breathing and light steps. Stretch the legs and lungs, save the intensity for the bells. Average distance 2-4 miles. Other things VF recommended was 1-2 sets of dead hang pull-ups, allowing the dead hang to last for a few breaths. He felt that it helped with the compression of the bells and opened the thoracic area for better lockout. Never got any recommendations for pushups as he felt the press and pushpress were decently filling that area.

5). Warmup as stated with some practice reps of each exercise along with basic school gym stretches: arm circles, torso twists, some basic squats. He didn’t want you to be too loose but the body needed to be primed.

6). Again, dead hangs were the biggest takeaway. Everything else was athlete specific. VF recommended the running after his lifting since you were already spent from the session, you were more likely to treat it as a recovery run.

Hope that helped.
This is a big help, thank you. Let me process it and I will pose some follow ups.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:39 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Just a reminder to all the comrades dropping in on this thread, the entire protocol is available on the MEGA site.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:51 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Dunn and anyone else with knowledge of AKC/WKC: how do you use the "basic" versus "advanced" option? In essence, for other readers, you can do the workout one time through as the basic program, but you have the option of doing it two times through, which is advanced. No guidance is provided as to when, how often, or why you would choose one or the other. Does anyone know anything about this?

I've also been giving thought to Sangoma's feeling that this is overkill, and Dunn's comment that, "typically if you were doing 3x a week then it work out to 2 hard sessions and one easier session, in that order."

I suppose that you could do Advanced on Monday and Wednesday, and basic on Friday as a way to cycle things with greater variability. Or you could do Advanced Monday, Basic Wednesday, and then Basic with a lighter kettlebell on Friday for even greater variability. Or further, say 24 kg on Monday, 20 kg on Wednesday, and 16 kg on Friday or any such similar spread.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:21 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

The guidance I got was 2 medium-hard sessions followed by an easier session. Take note that hard can mean heavy and slower OR lighter and faster. For my own practice and those that I’ve trained, I like to keep an eye on session and weekly tonnage/pounds lifted. That gives me a decent metric to base things on. If we are working on more cardio and endurance then I will have lighter bells, faster paces, and we may have more sets (similar to VF’s “advanced” recommendation). If the trainee is working more on strength then we will focus on heavier bell work and slower paces.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:24 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Thanks man.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:19 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Thanks man.
De nada. Figure I might as well voice my opinions seeing as I’ve been at this shit for so long.