IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:09 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Essential Kettlebelling
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:03 pm 
Jesus Christ®

I had to rest my left shoulder from a program that revolved around ballistic overhead lifts, but I still include kettlebells work in every workout I do for the simple fact that it gives more bang for it's buck that any other single type of training I can think of.

So, for those who appreciate cattleballs, I have a question. If nothing else, when I pick one up, I'm gonna do swings. I know it's not very original, but damn if swings don't make me feel stronger at everyday activities like running, jumping, (and popping your sister \:D/ ).

What do you consider the basic, "can't miss it" movements?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:13 pm 

Double KB cleans and front squats. They differ A LOT from their barbell counterparts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Ever combine them into a squat clean type movement? I could see that as a superb conditioner.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I am impartial to snatch. Can ruin your shoulder though. I also like double KB front squat. It is definitely different from its BB counterpart, but I don't do much of it - because it's too damn hard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:52 am 

Quote:
Ever combine them into a squat clean type movement? I could see that as a superb conditioner.
Two double cleans, one double push press and three front squats, rest briefly and repeat is my go-to workout, using a Bryce Lane-ish format.

Add some chins and loaded carries and you have a well-rounded program.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:54 pm 
Jesus Christ®

What's a Bryce Lane format? I dunno who that is or what he does. Spare me the googling.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:15 pm 

Quote:
What's a Bryce Lane format? I dunno who that is or what he does. Spare me the googling.
Bryce Lane’s 50/20: basically, you do fifty reps of the lift of your choosing in twenty minutes. You can do it “on the minute”, using ladders, straight sets, descending sets... it does not matter.

This blog entry from a former IGx member might pique your interest: https://sustainableevolution.wordpress. ... 0-program/

The progression I favor when doing the Armor Building Complex (2 cleans, 1 push press, 3 front squats) is this: start doing five repeats of the ABC complex (that’s 10 cleans, 5 push presses and 15 front squats total), resting as little as possible between iterations while avoiding at all costs the metcon effect. Something like 30-90 seconds between rounds would be fine. This should not become a Crossfit-esque workout.

During the following sessions keep adding rounds until you can do 15 iterations somewhat easily (that’s 30 cleans, 15 push presses and 45 deceptively hard front squats in a very small time frame),then bump the load a bit and start over at 5 rounds.

If you don’t have heavier bells around, you can try to manipulate the rep sequence: instead of doing 2-1-3, try to do 4-2-6 or even 6-3-9 (this is A LOT of time compressed training volume).

Strongfirst’s Strength Aerobics is fine too: grab a kettlebell you can easily press for at least eight reps and do one clean, one press and one front squat. Rest briefly without putting the bell on the floor and repeat the sequence using your other arm. And keep going at it for ten, fifteen or twenty minutes, at the pace of your choosing, without putting the bell down until you finish the workout.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:40 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Thanks for the reply, I'm checking out the link you provided. Who was this person on IGX?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 pm 

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I'm checking out the link you provided. Who was this person on IGX?
http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/memberlist. ... le&u=55046

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:18 pm 
Staff Sergeant

One Arm Snatches are my favorite.

Right now I'm doing a Long Cycle Clean and Jerk program 2 x a week. Extremely underrated exercise.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:11 pm 

Quote:
Long Cycle Clean and Jerk... Extremely underrated exercise.
Didn't Sonnon say it was THE BEST exercise for fighters? Like a dozen years ago?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:51 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Scott Sonnon, although he can at times come across as a royal douche, had some very worthwhile ideas along the way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:32 am 
Staff Sergeant

I'm not that familiar with Sonnon.

I've been doing 10 sets of 5 on the minute to 90. Just nice to do something different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:34 pm 
Jesus Christ®

What do you mean "to 90"?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:31 pm 
Staff Sergeant

60-90 seconds. Sorry to not clarify.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:47 pm 
Sarge

Swings, by far. And I almost always do single handed swings.

A few sets with a single bell if I am coming off a layoff, just to get things moving again.
Laddering up with heavier bells.

Once I'm ready to longer conditioning, I'll switch to (double bell) long cycle. Starting with lighter bells for longer time and gradually increasing. This is my "run".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:41 pm 
Manpussy Apprentice

Quote:
Quote:
Bryce Lane’s 50/20: basically, you do fifty reps of the lift of your choosing in twenty minutes. You can do it “on the minute”, using ladders, straight sets, descending sets... it does not matter.

This blog entry from a former IGx member might pique your interest: https://sustainableevolution.wordpress. ... 0-program/

The progression I favor when doing the Armor Building Complex (2 cleans, 1 push press, 3 front squats) is this: start doing five repeats of the ABC complex (that’s 10 cleans, 5 push presses and 15 front squats total), resting as little as possible between iterations while avoiding at all costs the metcon effect. Something like 30-90 seconds between rounds would be fine. This should not become a Crossfit-esque workout.

During the following sessions keep adding rounds until you can do 15 iterations somewhat easily (that’s 30 cleans, 15 push presses and 45 deceptively hard front squats in a very small time frame),then bump the load a bit and start over at 5 rounds.

If you don’t have heavier bells around, you can try to manipulate the rep sequence: instead of doing 2-1-3, try to do 4-2-6 or even 6-3-9 (this is A LOT of time compressed training volume).

Strongfirst’s Strength Aerobics is fine too: grab a kettlebell you can easily press for at least eight reps and do one clean, one press and one front squat. Rest briefly without putting the bell on the floor and repeat the sequence using your other arm. And keep going at it for ten, fifteen or twenty minutes, at the pace of your choosing, without putting the bell down until you finish the workout.
The strength aerobics routine sounds interesting. I may try it out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:35 am 
Gunny

Quote:
Quote:
http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/memberlist. ... le&u=55046
And here I am back after an absence.

My after action for the kettlebell 50/20 is here:

https://sustainableevolution.wordpress. ... on-report/

-Stan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:56 pm 

OALC has been my go to movement with the kettlebell for the past 10 years. I feel it’s the best bang for your buck movement.

These days with a 3 year old and 16 month old twins, it’s been tough to find time to train. I find if I’ve only got 5, 10, 15 minutes or so, I’ll just grab a KB and do OALC.

If I have more time I’ll do the OALC, then follow up with goblet squats and then finish off with 2-3 minutes straight of two handed swings.