Introductory GS Materials or Recs

The only place you can learns about balls.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

newguy

Re: Introductory GS Materials or Recs

Post by newguy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Ripe Turd wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:15 pm
The problem I see is, unless you live near a russianball sport gym, or you’re a rich ex-pat Australian physician who can work with an online coach :finga: , then RKC/Strongfist are your only resource for clear, systematic progressions. I know some ebooks exist somewhere on the interwebs (Paul Tucker, Jared Savik, Andrey Kuzmin come to mind), but they are not well known/reviewed/tested.
It's not rocket science.........

There is more than enough out there at this point to learn basic level technique for either HS/RKC/SF OR GS style.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:52 pm

When Pavel first started marketing KBs and the RKC book it was with the pitch that it was like Olympic lifting for the working man and could be easily learned without a coach. Then they took off and suddenly everyone needed a $$$$ cert or they would kill themselves.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:09 pm

newguy wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:17 pm
Ripe Turd wrote:
The problem I see is, unless you live near a russianball sport gym, or you’re a rich ex-pat Australian physician who can work with an online coach :finga: , then RKC/Strongfist are your only resource for clear, systematic progressions. I know some ebooks exist somewhere on the interwebs (Paul Tucker, Jared Savik, Andrey Kuzmin come to mind), but they are not well known/reviewed/tested.

There is more than enough out there at this point to learn basic level technique for either HS/RKC/SF OR GS style.
Which is exactly my point.

GS is a sport. Technical points of the lifts have been studied to maximize performance. How do you progress past "basic level technique", which could be defined as bogatyrstyle, aka hardonstyle/Pavholestyle? How do you hit CMS rank without a coach? How do you get past CMS rank?

You say there is "more than enough out there", that couldn't be more vague.

At least with Pavhole, you get detailed instructions on bogatyrstyle of lifting the russianballs, enough not to hurt yourself lifting, and you know how you will get to the goals he suggests (1/2 BW one-arm press; 200 snatches in 10 minutes; etc.).

newguy

Post by newguy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:38 pm

Ripe Turd wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:09 pm
newguy wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:17 pm
Ripe Turd wrote:

Which is exactly my point.

GS is a sport. Technical points of the lifts have been studied to maximize performance. How do you progress past "basic level technique", which could be defined as bogatyrstyle, aka hardonstyle/Pavholestyle? How do you hit CMS rank without a coach? How do you get past CMS rank?

You say there is "more than enough out there", that couldn't be more vague.

At least with Pavhole, you get detailed instructions on bogatyrstyle of lifting the russianballs, enough not to hurt yourself lifting, and you know how you will get to the goals he suggests (1/2 BW one-arm press; 200 snatches in 10 minutes; etc.).
Basic level GS technique is not hardstyle. Not at all.

Just watch some youtube vids and google. You can get the basics.

This goes to a point I was trying to make earlier. You do not have to have world class technique or get to MS level for KBs to benefit you.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:02 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:52 pm
When Pavel first started marketing KBs and the RKC book it was with the pitch that it was like Olympic lifting for the working man and could be easily learned without a coach. Then they took off and suddenly everyone needed a $$$$ cert or they would kill themselves.
This precisely.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:18 pm

Turd has a point. I hurt myself more than once with ballistic kettlebell lifts, mostly as the result of the short man syndrome and the ego that couldn't fit inside my slender frame. On the other hand, if you start slow and progress gradually the risk of injury shouldn't be higher than with any other activity. Doing stupid shit will get you injured no matter what you do, be it soccer, gym or swimming.