Strong Sport benefits and programming?

The only place you can learns about balls.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Tirofijo
Sarge

Strong Sport benefits and programming?

Post by Tirofijo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:56 am

I have a lot of respect for anyone that can do ten minutes of long cycle clean and jerk, and I'm intrigued by Kettlebell Sport.

But I'm not the strongest guy - I can get a few military press reps with the 32kg but I am still far from my goal of a 1/2 half body weight press (40kg).

As best I can tell, for me to start training the LCCJ I would have to drop down to 16kgs or even lighter. And LCCJ is a little more on the endurance side than the strength side for my goals right now.

I just learned there was a Strong Sport category that is shorter and uses heavier weights.

That might be more aligned with my goal of getting stronger.

Thoughts on training like a Strong Sport lifter? Any resources for training for Strong Sport? Googling turned up zero programs designed specifically for Strong Sport.

(I'm probably going to keep with hardstyle double kettlebell programs for the next few months, but I'm looking ahead to the next challenge.)

Thanks.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Strong Sport benefits and programming?

Post by Dunn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:40 am

Simply put it’s 4 mins of OALC OR biathlon 4 mins OAC followed by 4 mins of OAJ, all with only one hand switch. Weights are heavier (32kg or higher) & the base pace is faster (8 rpm). I liked it. It’s single bell so there aren’t as many flexibility issues at play and it requires less specialization. OALC is a nice one stop shop. Pick up biathlon if you want more “heavy” cardio in your game.

For programming, I’d say try for building up your volume of 2 min sets at base pace, then attempt to link them with or without multiple hand switches. If you want the comp goal of at least 8 rpm with one hand switch, use that as your metric. It’s easy enough to program a light, medium, and heavy day. If your goal bell is the 32kg use it for tour medium day. Shoot for 24-28kg for your light with only one hand switch and faster than comp pace. Heavy could be 34-36kg, swapping on the minute for slightly slower than comp.

I played with it and eventually preferred clean and push press, which ultimately led me to longer and longer sets with the heavier bells. Either movement is solid.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:38 am

I used to have the same concern regarding girevoy sport, that it will neglect my strength. However, while it is not likely to make you squat three times bodyweight you will be stronger than most of your contemporaries. Do you reckon you can jerk two 32 kg bells for 10 minutes and be weak?

However yet, training for ten minute event is pretty grueling, so settling for 5 minutes is reasonable. Ten or five minutes, the principles of training would be the same.

First, technique is the most important aspect. I trained under Rudnev, but you can probably find live GS coaches close to where you live. Be careful with Youtube videos, there is a lot of rubbish. I would advise to get one consultation or even one month coaching with Rudnev, it works via Internet pretty well. Don't neglect the technique; I injured my back repeatedly doing long cycle incorrectly.

Second, there are many simple progressions you can follow. You can check my old GS blog: https://girevoysportafter40.blogspot.com

This template worked well for me at the beginning:
https://girevoysportafter40.blogspot.co ... in-gs.html

You can skip steps 1 and 2. Mind you, when you manage five minutes with heavier bells it gets to grueling to go full distance every training session, and you will have to tweak load and time, especially for two handed lifts.

Definitely start with light bells. I promise you that even a couple of 12 kg bells for 10 minutes will make you regret choosing this sport. Time under the bells is a factor not many people understand until they try it. :yawinkle:

In terms of lifts - my all time favorite is two bell jerk. I think it's the most brutal. It just feels so tight and hard, you get weird pleasure from it. Nothing wrong with one armed lifts though: once again, can you call Dunn weak, lifting 32 kg for 10 minutes?

Good luck.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Dunn wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:40 am
Simply put it’s 4 mins of OALC OR biathlon 4 mins OAC followed by 4 mins of OAJ, all with only one hand switch. Weights are heavier (32kg or higher) & the base pace is faster (8 rpm). I liked it. It’s single bell so there aren’t as many flexibility issues at play and it requires less specialization. OALC is a nice one stop shop. Pick up biathlon if you want more “heavy” cardio in your game.

For programming, I’d say try for building up your volume of 2 min sets at base pace, then attempt to link them with or without multiple hand switches. If you want the comp goal of at least 8 rpm with one hand switch, use that as your metric. It’s easy enough to program a light, medium, and heavy day. If your goal bell is the 32kg use it for tour medium day. Shoot for 24-28kg for your light with only one hand switch and faster than comp pace. Heavy could be 34-36kg, swapping on the minute for slightly slower than comp.

I played with it and eventually preferred clean and push press, which ultimately led me to longer and longer sets with the heavier bells. Either movement is solid.
Thanks Dunn. That seems sensible.
Sangoma wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:38 am
I used to have the same concern regarding girevoy sport, that it will neglect my strength. However, while it is not likely to make you squat three times bodyweight you will be stronger than most of your contemporaries. Do you reckon you can jerk two 32 kg bells for 10 minutes and be weak?
No, and I also reckon it would take me a few years (?) to build up to jerking two 32kg bells for 10 minutes.

Sangoma wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:38 am

Nothing wrong with one armed lifts though: once again, can you call Dunn weak, lifting 32 kg for 10 minutes?
Nope, but once again, I'm prioritizing strength over strength endurance, so the typical GS programming (as I understand it) of dropping down to bells you can use for 10 minutes and then working back up in weight is not interesting to me. But StrongSport - with it's heavier bells - is interesting.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:45 pm

Lifting anything for longer than a minute is strength endurance. If you have the phobia of light bells you can progress in continuous reps rather than weight. In other words you can use the progression similar to the one mentioned in micro plates thread: building from many sets of low reps to one set of many reps. I.e. 10 sets of 2, 6 sets of 3, 5 sets of 4 and so on (the numbers can vary of course, depending on the weigh you are lifting), sets and rest timed, gradually increasing the cadence and reducing the rest. I would still recommend doing one set with lighter bells going full time every session, 5 minutes in your case.

In any case, there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat. I still recommend taking one lesson from Rudnev or his associates.