Two-Arm Jerk in GS: Really Worth It?

The only place you can learns about balls.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Two-Arm Jerk in GS: Really Worth It?

Post by JasonC » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:38 pm

First question: Are there some body types that really can't reach their iliac crest? 'Cause dammit, quite apart from reaching down far enough (which I'm told is just a matter of getting your hip flexors and traps more flexible), my arms are set much wider than my hips. They won't touch my waist without a lot of "pec deck" action. I've never been able to rest in the rack unless I'm digging my elbows into my belt (and cutting them up).

Second question: In your opinions, do you get a lot back from the 2AJ? I'm feeling the call of GS again and preparing to compete, but I question whether I'll train/compete the jerk anymore. For something painful that I'm not good at, I enjoy the jerk, but it's a "high cost" lift for me (in discomfort and sometimes getting headaches or irritation near the T-spine), and now that I'm in my mid-40s, I'm not going to blindly do painful contortionistic shit just because I once heard VF say that the only real GS is biathlon.
leansoliddogs.blog

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Two-Arm Jerk in GS: Really Worth It?

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:11 pm

JasonC wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:38 pm
'Cause dammit, quite apart from reaching down far enough (which I'm told is just a matter of getting your hip flexors and traps more flexible), my arms are set much wider than my hips.
#humblebrag
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:15 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:11 pm
JasonC wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:38 pm
'Cause dammit, quite apart from reaching down far enough (which I'm told is just a matter of getting your hip flexors and traps more flexible), my arms are set much wider than my hips.
#humblebrag
"So humbled and honored to have tree-swinging traps and traffic-stopping muscular definition."
leansoliddogs.blog

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:11 pm

Android work capacity? Hint of pecs?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:21 am

Frankly, double jerk is my favorite lift. It is also the hardest, in my opinion - there is no pause, you are always under the bells. I think it give a lot of bang for the buck.

Static holds are good for developing mobility for the jerk. Make sure the bells are heavy enough, and you will gradually relax into the position. You can also use a belt and lean your elbows on it - as far as I know it is permitted in competition in Russia.

You can also learn to rest (pause) in overhead position instead of rack. It is similar to a pause in snatch, the principles are the same - the saggital position of the hands and forearms, the insertion... :-" etc. Apparently it is used by some gireviks with problems similar to yours.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:11 pm
Android work capacity? Hint of pecs?
Fats, if I'm describing GS rankings to somebody, is it reasonable to compare MS to black belt level in BJJ and 2nd class through CMS as blue through brown?
leansoliddogs.blog

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:25 pm

Good enough I think.