Iranian wrestlers interval workout

The only place you can learns about balls.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Iranian wrestlers interval workout

Post by Sangoma » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:55 am

This study was mentioned in the Leopard book. Iranian wrestlers did 6 runs of 35 meter sprints with 10 seconds pause in between. Rested 3 minutes after the series, then repeated. Twice a week for four weeks. First week - 3 series, increased by 1 series every consecutive week.

At the end of the study - everything better in the intervention group: VO2Max, time to exhaustion etc., etc. Anyway, there is one very significant flaw in the study, I can elaborate if someone is interested.

The study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21849912

However, I decided to try replicate it with the modification: sprints replaced with double KB jerks. One sprint - 5 reps. The rest as per study.

So today I decided to warm up with a pair of 16 kg bells... They became my working weight, and I managed only two series. Fucking hard. I will tell if there is a difference in how I feel on the mat four weeks from now.

Anyway, this is a good fucking workout. Oh, yeah, testosterone in the sprint group went right up. Hard ons were not reported.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Iranian wrestlers interval workout

Post by Sangoma » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:21 pm

After writing this I realized that this is almost exactly Q&D protocol with 4 x 5 snatches.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:30 am

I changed the template to make the progression more gradual. Starting with 3 repeats of 3 sets, increasing the number of repeats to 5, then increasing the number of sets in the repeat. When reached 5 repeats of 5-6 sets - increase the weight of the bells.

5 reps is one set
Repeat - sets done with 10 - 15 seconds rest
Rest between repeats - 3 minutes.

I've done 3 repeats of 3 sets yesterday. Much better. Invigorating rather than killing.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Report, comrade?

I’ve done similar intervals using 2x32kg when I was gearing up for a GS comp. It seemed to help with wind and general muscle fatigue.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:00 am

Honestly, I haven't done much since my post. I try do four BJJ sessions a week my body gets destroyed by extra work. Plus the usual reasons/excuses - lack of time, too busy at work etc. I should find the way to fit this in, it's too good a workout.