Simple and Sinister - second edition.

The only place you can learns about balls.

Moderators: Dux, seeahill

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Simple and Sinister - second edition.

Post by Sangoma » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:39 am

I just read S&S 2.0. The novelty is step loading. Meaning that you stay on the same weight for four weeks. Next four - mix in two sets with the KB next size. Next four - two more sets. All in all you take twenty weeks to progress to the next size bell for all ten sets. Similar to swings and TGU.

That's for Simple part. A few tweaks for the Sinister. Progression to the sinister is similar with a few tweaks. Nothing particularly new. Mostly the same pictures of soldiers and girls with kettlebells. Same chapters with the description of exercises. I would expect this kind of Kindle update for free, to be frank.

JasonC
Gunny

Post by JasonC » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:28 am

MOAR Hungarian SWAT ninjas swinging kettlebells in black masks! He owes us that much.
leansoliddogs.blog

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:36 am

Anyone who needs instructions for how to progress from one size bell to the next for 10 sets of 10 swings is a full on nimrod.

Is this just a function of modern society? Is it the internet age? Could you imagine one of McCallum's articles coming out now.
"The first three sets should be heavy. The next one heavy enough that the last reps feel like you're giving it all you've got. Then take some weight off so the bar gets snappy again." "You should go heavy enough that with the last three reps your teeth hurt."

Those aren't exact quotes but they are close enough.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:45 pm

newguy wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:36 am
Anyone who needs instructions for how to progress from one size bell to the next for 10 sets of 10 swings is a full on nimrod.
Absolutely correct.

But, and it's a big But,

Have you been to the StrongFirst forum?

There are 10 people who know what they're doing and have the ability to think. The rest are kool aid drinking nitwits.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:52 am

newguy wrote:

Is this just a function of modern society? Is it the internet age? Could you imagine one of McCallum's articles coming out now.
"The first three sets should be heavy. The next one heavy enough that the last reps feel like you're giving it all you've got. Then take some weight off so the bar gets snappy again." "You should go heavy enough that with the last three reps your teeth hurt."

To be fair Pavel's ideas of progress are opposite to McCullum's "giving it all you've got" and "your teeth hurt". Doing the latter on regular basis is how you get hurt. And this is where Pavel deserves credit, promoting "easy strength" training principles and moving away from the idea that you have to end up every workout "in a pool of blood". My problem is with the way Pavel's ideas are promoted: not as general principles, but as rigid protocols you are supposed to follow to the letter. As I said, this kind of revision should be available for free to those who already bought the Kindle version. Or presented in an article on Strong First.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:57 am

Hanglow Joe wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:45 pm
newguy wrote:
Absolutely correct.

But, and it's a big But,

Have you been to the StrongFirst forum?

There are 10 people who know what they're doing and have the ability to think. The rest are kool aid drinking nitwits.
There is a story about some guy who started a monthly investment letter where he analysed companies' financials, interviewed the directors, researched the market etc. He struggled to get subscribers until one of his friends told him: at the end make a page of recommendations - buy A, B and C and sell X, Y and Z. The guy listened, and his letter started selling. A lot of folk want to simply be told what to do. Partly because of laziness, partly because of lack of confidence in their own abilities to figure out things. As well as the belief in authority.

StrongFirst forum is wankery and ass licking. Not that you would expect anything different from anything run by Freido, a dishonest spineless cunt.

newguy

Post by newguy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:19 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:52 am
newguy wrote:

To be fair Pavel's ideas of progress are opposite to McCullum's "giving it all you've got" and "your teeth hurt". Doing the latter on regular basis is how you get hurt. And this is where Pavel deserves credit, promoting "easy strength" training principles and moving away from the idea that you have to end up every workout "in a pool of blood". My problem is with the way Pavel's ideas are promoted: not as general principles, but as rigid protocols you are supposed to follow to the letter. As I said, this kind of revision should be available for free to those who already bought the Kindle version. Or presented in an article on Strong First.
DON'T YOU SLAG ON MCCALLUM!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:34 pm

McCallum was a great writer but his advice is pure shit.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

newguy

Post by newguy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:53 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:34 pm
McCallum was a great writer but his advice is pure shit.
You really think? I'm surprised.

I feel there are some aspects that may be a bit dated, mostly the get big drink (western bodies now don't have an issue with calorie consumption for the most part.) But starting off with a basic three day a week whole body program....moving into a steady diet of squats....and then branching into specialization of body parts along with fat loss periods....I don't really see a whole lot wrong there.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:10 pm

I suggest you reread it. As I said, he's a fantastic teller of anecdotes but the advice itself is relatively bad and gets worse. By the end he has you working out six days a week and jogging and all sorts of retarded shit. And of course, it's always lift as heavy as you can every time you train, which is snapcity.exe

newguy

Post by newguy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:16 pm

LEAVE MY BEHIND THE NECK PRESSES ALONE!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 pm

"The best single exercise for the shoulder girdle. Take a wider than shoulder width grip and drive the bar up hard. Don't pause at the bottom when you lower it. Get a rebound and drive it back up hard and fast. Don't handle it like a crate of eggs. Be rough."

newguy

Post by newguy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 pm
"The best single exercise for the shoulder girdle. Take a wider than shoulder width grip and drive the bar up hard. Don't pause at the bottom when you lower it. Get a rebound and drive it back up hard and fast. Don't handle it like a crate of eggs. Be rough."
Best advice I've ever read for how to do the behind the neck press....

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:41 pm

McCallum's advice was overly influenced in his later writing by Art Joneses nonsense.

As far as his squatting advice, almost nobody needs to spend that much time banging out high rep breathing squats.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:42 pm

He will have people lifting five or six days a week doing ridiculously long workouts while eating no carbohydrate. It's stupid.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:36 pm

Any mention of Simple and Sinister has been banned from Dan's forum. It was almost as savage there as here.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Hanglow Joe wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:36 pm
Any mention of Simple and Sinister has been banned from Dan's forum. It was almost as savage there as here.
I don't like it either, but I can understand why.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Good for Dan, we said our peace. Program sucks. I get the feeling Dan has an axe to grind with Pavel and trying to stay above the fray.

Time to do heavy day of Clean "em Up with a hangover. Going to suck

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:21 pm

What was being said?

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:13 pm

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:43 am

Hanglow Joe wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:56 pm
Good for Dan, we said our peace. Program sucks. I get the feeling Dan has an axe to grind with Pavel and trying to stay above the fray.

I don't even think S&S sucks. 100 one arm swings with 32 kg is fairly strong. It's just not marketed for what it is: just it's another fucking program. Not the solution to every fitness need on the planet. Because that's what Q&D is! But you have S&S covered first. 2.0 version, not the hopelessly outdated original. Not to forget the RoP, for which the second edition of ETK is eagerly awaited by all of us SSST wannabes.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:41 am

Sangoma wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:43 am
I don't even think S&S sucks. 100 one arm swings with 32 kg is fairly strong. It's just not marketed for what it is: just it's another fucking program. Not the solution to every fitness need on the planet. Because that's what Q&D is! But you have S&S covered first. 2.0 version, not the hopelessly outdated original. Not to forget the RoP, for which the second edition of ETK is eagerly awaited by all of us SSST wannabes.
I never liked RoP. Way too much volume(150 presses), especially if you add 5x1,2,3,4,5 (weighted) pull ups. And even Dan John said he never knew anyone who tried ROTK and didn't get hurt.

In my opinion, Pavel's best works are PttP, 5x5x5, 3-5 and ES (which DJ himself co-authored). All of them being variations of the same theme.

JasonC
Gunny

Post by JasonC » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:15 pm

SubClaw wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:41 am
I never liked RoP. Way too much volume(150 presses)
This. 150 presses, with full-body tension from your toes to your grip? NFW. ETK/RoP was a monstrous abortion.
SubClaw wrote: In my opinion, Pavel's best works are PttP, 5x5x5, 3-5 and ES (which DJ himself co-authored). All of them being variations of the same theme.
This.
leansoliddogs.blog

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:43 am
Hanglow Joe wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:56 pm

I see S + S as a good, not great finisher. I'd rather do 100 snatches, personally, but to each their own

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:09 pm

Hanglow Joe wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:13 pm
1/2 way down page 2
https://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/sho ... 6330/tp/2/
Thanks! I love some kettle-drama. Are you iPood?