It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:44 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Zip It Up
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:56 pm 
Gunny

Wednesday 8/9

Judo class

At the different location again (will be for another couple weeks), which seriously cuts into class time. Low attendance: instructor, me, and the slightly built yellow belt who weighs what my stepdaughter weighs. Instructor threw us a curve, and some uchikomi's to warm up he taught us some classical Japanese (standing) jujitsu, from beginner self-defense scenarios. One-handed wrist grab, one-handed lapel, straight punch, etc. Very familiar scenarios to me, but not old-hat at all: slightly different techniques, slightly different emphasis, etc. A cool one for head lock!

Not as physical as some of our classes, but cool & interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:59 pm 
Gunny

Friday 8/11

Wife & I planned to go to the gym and lift. Instead we got a storage pod delivered to our driveway. (Cool, a driveway! We used to have a townhouse, now we have a SFH with a garage.) Spent an hour or so taking boxes and bookcases etc out of it. Some of the boxes extremely heavy: bigger boxes that I stupidly loaded with books, before I realized that book-boxes have to be fairly small. It was like off-shape lifting: stones or whatever. Dinosaur training. :-)

So yeah, another day of gym fail. Got plenty of good work in, though. Later played frisbee with the boy, which was good for everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:18 pm 
Gunny

Saturday 8/12

Judo class

I'm always psyched when I get to go to Judo twice in the same week. Good attendance today: instructor of course, and Old Black Belt, Tall Young Black Belt, the green belt guy who's very small but a really great partner. I worked with him. Uchikomi's for a while; instructor worked in with us occasionally to get warmed up. Then he had us do that half-randori thing, one guy on offense. This we did as a 3-way rotation; green belt on offense with me as uke, me on offense with instructor as uke, instructor on offense with green belt as uke. I cannot even say how instructive this was, how educational. Awesome.

Finished up with about 20 mins of ne waza (groundwork). First pins, me & the green belt taking turns pinning each other and then trying our escapes. Then "pressure passing" our partner's guard. Great.

I want to capture this somewhere. Instructor let drop a comment, in response to a question from me about how much "resistance" to give during the half-randori drill. He said what I was doing was fine: the gold was that he wants the attacker not to be "afraid". He wants uke to just move naturally but not try to counter, because he wants us to develop that attacking mindset. He also used the word "spirit": wants us to develop that spirit where we attack and keep attacking, go from technique straight to the next technique and keep trying until we get the guy thrown. That's why he's not really teaching us counters now: he wants to foster that "spirit". Makes a ton of sense to me. Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:45 pm 
Gunny

Sunday took the boy to the pool for a couple hours. Mostly I sat on my ass and read, getting a little vit D. But I eventually got in and threw the boy around for 45 mins or so. Fun. Also went off the slide, and swam a little.

Then, nothing for a couple days.

Tuesday 8/15

Karate class. Assisted with kids, worked blue & purple belts on arm bar and head takedown.
Took adult class. Yoga warmup, rocking horse drills, forms, one-step, a little jujitsu. Last 10 mins, taught the headlock escape that Judo instructor showed us last week. Cool escape, eye-opening for karate guys in terms of the direction you can more. Which is why I wanted to share it. Good reception.
Nice and tired & sweaty when I got home.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:54 pm 
Gunny

Wednesday 8/16

Judo class

Uchikomi's with BJJ white belt guy. Then half-randori, as a rotating group of 3 with him and with Tall Young Black Belt. Did that for most of class. Finished up with ~15 mins of ne-waza: half randori to throw, transition immediately to a pin from the throw, then uke attempts a pin escape and you scramble until someone gives, then rotate. That was intensely educational. My pin escapes SUCK.

TYBB encouraged me to Turtle at one point during ne-waza with the BJJ white belt guy. My first attempt at it. Evidently my Turtle is pretty solid. Partner muttered "<grumble> impenetrable" at one point. We kept at it for a LONG time, much longer than would be permitted in a real Judo match. Eventually he got a wedge in and started to break me open.

I need to browse some YouTube vids on pin escapes, and learn a little something.

Also, I have no fucking idea what to do from a pin, ie how to progress to a submission. I guess just wait on that. Instructor told me months ago not to worry about that yet, he just wants me to get adept at the pins and escapes for now. I *am* still a white belt. So I'll stick with what I'm supposed to be working on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:35 am 
Gunny

Planned to go to the gym and lift on Thursday. Instead, stepdaughter asked me to move her furniture and boxes to college. So, took The Boy and his sis to lunch at a great place halfway btw home and college, then to her new apartment and moved her in. Naturally her apt was on the 4th floor and there's no elevator. Hardest thing to carry was the TV stand. Second-hardest was the mini-fridge (in box). Was hot up there: got very, very sweaty.

Would have liked to have lifted, but that afternoon with the 2 kids was one of those precious moments that you'll treasure. And it repeated the summer theme of doing some actual manual labor, in lieu of lifting.

Friday 8/18

Yoga class. Had a nice feeling after, of being very stable and grounded. Rooted into the floor, when I was standing talking.

Unfortunately the manic pixie lesbian who teaches the class is going off for some overseas thingamajig. The class will still be here, but who knows what kind of hag will take it over? Jeez, maybe even a man (shudder).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:46 am 
Gunny

Planned to go to Judo on Saturday, instead looked at the beautiful day outside and at the pleading face of the 8yo, and took him to the pool for ~3 hours. Mostly sat on my ass there, but did spend an hour or so throwing him around, and splashing around & diving. Nice. I missed Judo, but it felt like I did the right thing.

Family stuff Sunday, work stuff Monday. But then!

Tuesday 8/22

Front squat – 45#, 95#, 95# 5+5+5
Leg Raises – 5+5
Power Cleans – 65# 3x5
Bench – 115# 3x5
Incl DB Row – 2@35# 2x5
Adduct/Abduct – 130# 2x5
Ankle Invert/Evert – 2x5 (bands: red invert, orange evert)

Went to the motherfucking gym! Holy shit. It had been six weeks! At least six weeks. They had done some remodeling. Some changes in the weight room. The dip station (where I do leg raises) is at the exact opposite pole of the room from the squat racks now, for some reason. And do they have one less bench? Tough to be sure.

Felt weird to be there.

Kept it light on all the lifts. Finished everything. Posture felt good on the squats, though my elbows still dip. Timing felt good on the cleans. (Though of course they're very light.)

On the bench, I put my fists basically shoulder-width, plus maybe half a thumb-length (might have been closer to a full thumb length). Gave me a new appreciation for __'s "thumb from smooth" description of his bench presses. This hand placement kept my elbows tighter to my body then they usually are, and I think I felt this lift in a whole different place.

I think I've been doing bench presses wrong from Day One. I think that's why I plateaued so early, and didn't break thru. I think my elbows have been flared too wide. The whole groove felt different. Facepalm.

Oh, there was a dude there deadlifting over 400, might have been 445. And he was impressive, because he was NOT huge. He was this lean guy. And BANG that bar just went right up. (Bending.) I think he did 3 reps. He had on those finger-shoes. Vibrams? Initially looked weird; but when that big lift went up, those shoes suddenly looked like the ideal gear. I want to be him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:11 pm 
Gunny

Wed thru Sun: Took the boy and went to a resort town in Western Maryland with another family. Boating, swimming in the lake, hanging out, drinking & eating. A little cold, but a great time.

Tuesday 8/29

Front squat – 95# 1 warmup set of 5
Deadlift – 205# for 3x5
Ab Wheel – 2x5
Arnold Press – 2@25#,30# dbs for 2x5
Lat Pulldowns – 125# BTN 2x5
Calf Raise – +220# 2x5 (+ tib pulls w red mini)
Suitcase carry – 70#
Scap plex – 15 reps (orange micro)

Bummed with how weak I felt. That first deadlift set felt hard! Although the second felt much easier.

But! I swear I walked out of this workout with better posture than I've had for a couple weeks. (Except maybe for after that yoga class a week or so ago.) I have missed that aspect of what lifting does for me.

School starts next week. Looking forward to settling back down into a "normal" schedule, as a family here in our new home, and lifting more regularly. Been a crazy Summer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:53 pm 
Gunny

Wednesday 8/30

Judo class

Back at the old gym! Renovations complete, the gym's back open, we returned to our normal place. This should have been great, the mats at the alternate place were inconveniently located, and the floor under than had no spring. But: no motherfucking mats! The gym had lost the key to the mat closet, or something. We fucked around for 10 mins trying alternate methods of getting into that closet, but fail.

So we had a Judo class with no mats.

Instructor made it work, because he's excellent. About 10 or 20 mins of uchikomi, which we typically do without throws anyway. I partnered with White Belt BJJ Guy. It had been weeks since we went thru our belt-level throws, so this was time well spent. Turns out the Judo world championships are happening RIGHT NOW, and instructor has been watching. He had us do grip fighting! Which I had heard about, but never seen or done. That turns into standing grappling after a couple passes, so this was super hard work. Exhausting. We rotated partners, so I worked with WB BJJ Guy and with Tall Young Black Belt, and Instructor, and a slim strong yellow belt.

Last 5 or 10 mins, we did "hip throw carries". That's an old school drill, where you all get on one end of the room, and you load your partner onto your back for the hip throw of your choice – and then you carry him across the room. My first trip I had WB BJJ Guy, and he is heavy as shit and very compact, and I mistakenly used Ogoshi. I can barely throw him in that anyway. My second trip I had TYBB, and I used Ippon. That is much better, doesn't leave you twisted under the load as Ogoshi does. But either way this was a struggle.

I am sore as a motherfucker today, esp my sides.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:47 pm 
Gunny

Friday 9/1

Back squat – 95#, 115#, 135# for 5,5,4
"AbWorks" machine + 10#,25# – 3x5
Power Cleans – 70# 3x5
Bench – 115# 3x5
Face Pulls – 40# 3x5
Adduct/Abduct – 135# 2x5
Ankle Invert/Evert – 2x5 (bands: invert red, evert orange)

The back squats hurt my shoulders! Tops of my shoulders: traps, maybe? I was shocked at how much it hurt just to stand up with the weight, with that low-bar position stretching my arms & shoulders. I haven't done back squats in ages. Even before my "break" due to all this shit around moving, I had switched to front squats, so it's been months since I'd had a bar on my back. I started to do 135 first, which was well below what I'd squatted before, and I just couldn't handle it. Dropped back to 95#, which I'd just done with front squats the other day, then bumped it up to 115 and then re-tried 135.

I might stick at these weights for another workout or two. Not sure I'm getting good depth. Feels like my belly is getting in the way! Like I have a bigger, fatter belly than I did last time I back-squatted. Also re-acclimatize to the position.

My new theory is back squats for strength, on squat day; and a light set of front squats on deadlift day, for posture and as a bit of a warmup.

The weight room has a device that says "Core AbWorks" on it. You sit in it, grab the overhead handles, and hook your ankles below, and crunch. You can put plates on top, and at the bottom. The bottom peg has a sign that says max 25# plate. I wanted to give it a try. It's honestly not that hard, but maybe stacking some more plates on it will do more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:49 pm 
Gunny

Saturday 9/2

Judo class

We had mats again. Well-attended class. Uchikomi's, combo's, half-randori with foot techniques only, grip fighting. A couple times, the grip fighting devolved into grappling to a pin, which was fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:00 pm 
Gunny

Sunday 9/3

"Flow yoga" class. I'm not sure what makes it "flow", but it was enjoyable. Gentler than I expected. I had thought it might be "vigorous", but nah. Nice careful pace.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:55 am 
Gunny

Monday, last ditch effort to get our final bits of shit out of the basement at the old house. Lots of carrying stuff upstairs, and unloading into our garage. Some of it was heavy.

Tuesday 9/5

Sold a motherfucking house.

Also:

Front squat: 95# for 1 warmup set of 5
Deadlift: 210# for 3x5
Ab Wheel: 3x5
Military Press: barbell 65#,70#,70 for 3x5
Lat Pulldowns: 125# for 3x5
Calf Raise: +220# 2x5 (+ tib pulls w red mini)
Scap plex: 15 reps (orange micro)

Oddly the squat racks emptied out just as I arrived, even though the rest of the weight room was busy. So I got to set up a little circuit for myself, with the deadlift at one squat rack and military press at another, so I could do all 4 of today's main moves back-to-back. Got thru 3x5 of all my lifts in a crazy short period of time.

Skipped suitcase carries to get home in time for a little celebration dinner, for our big sale. Was thinking about only doing 2x5 of my main lifts for the same reason, but the "circuit" compressed time so much that I did exactly the opposite.

I guess I've lost some strength these last 2-3 months. That 210# deadlift was challenging, required focus. Ha, I'm also now doing a lot of "locking" in my abs and lower as I brace to start this lift. I feel like I'm handling my lower back differently than I was.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:36 pm 
Gunny

Wednesday 9/6

Judo class

Just 4 of us. Instructor partnered with Tall Young Black Belt, and I partnered with White Belt BJJ Guy. Uchikomi's for about 20 mins or so. (I got a lot of feedback on Uki Goshi.) Then about 45 mins or more of grip fighting to a throw! This was almost pure randori. I say "almost": partner & I pretty much alternated who "won" and lost, ie who got thrown and didn't. But we started at distance, feinted some reaches, then closed and grabbed and tried to off-balance each other. One of us went splat, and we bounced up and started over. Was AWESOME.

We closed with 5 or 10 mins of triangle chokes. People had trouble getting this on me: first my partner, and then instructor took a try. Only once did I feel choked or strangled. But after class I was wishing I had tapped sooner: neck hurt. Not so bad this morning.

It's interesting what partner's & my strengths and weaknesses were, in our grip fighting / randori session. He got me a few times with a forward throw, Ippon or Ogoshi; and also a few times with Osoto gari, and once or twice with Ouchi gari. He even got me with something like Uchi mata! (Which we haven't been taught yet.) I got him almost exclusively with Osoto and Kosoto, I think once with Ouchi. I had one very strong attack with a double-lapel grip, where I could go for either reap with either of my own legs: the double-lapel grip meant that either of my legs could be "forward", depending on how he was moving. But my "forward" throws of him were non-existent. He's tough to throw with Ippon or Ogoshi even under controlled uchikomi conditions, his center of gravity is so low: in this context, my attempts at those throws failed utterly. But even with some throws off the table for me, we were still very well-matched and competitive.

Super fun.

I'd like to learn a sacrifice, like Uki Waza or similar, to add to my repertoire. Many times since we've started with grip-fighting, I've felt that an opening was there for a throw like that, but I haven't learned one yet. Maybe instructor will hook me up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:30 am 
Gunny

Saturday 9/9

Judo class

Just 4 of us again (but a different group). I worked with Very Old Black Belt. During uchikomi, he started to offer some corrections on Ogoshi and then on Uki Goshi. And holy shit, he blew my mind! He changed my foot placement, dramatically, and alluvasudden Uki Goshi works. I had the same foot placement for both Ogoshi and Uki goshi, and he changed both but in opposite directions, so now the foot placement for the two is very different. This was fabulous.

Then we worked on the pin escapes that I need for my promotion. My pin escapes are poo poo, as is the rest of my grappling, but I got a lot of useful stuff out of this workout. VOBB showed me some variants, and then instructor showed me some stuff he wants to see from me, and between the two inputs I think I have this area sorted. For now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:16 am 
Gunny

Wednesday 9/13

Judo class

Took and passed my Yellow Belt exam.
:supz: :supz: :rolleyes: :finga: :supz: :finga:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:04 am 
Gunny

Wednesday 9/20

Judo class

Instructor forgot his belt, in his hurry to get to class from his daughter's soccer game. So, since we all had undershirts, he had us take off our gi tops and do no-gi grappling. For the WHOLE MOTHERFUCKING CLASS.

Almost an hour and a half of no-gi grappling. Exhausting, exhilarating, educational.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:43 am 
Gunny

Wednesday 10/4

Judo class.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:44 am 
Gunny

Saturday 10/7

Judo class.

Later, coaxed the boy and the wife to go on a little bike ride, which was very fun.
Later still, took the dog to the park for a mile walk off-leash. Lovely afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:35 pm 
Gunny

Tuesday 10/10

Back squat – 115#, 145#, 145# for 3x5
Russian Twist +10# for 5
Bench – 115# 3x5
Face Pulls – various modes for 3x5
One-arm DB row – 60# 1 set of 5
Power Cleans – 83# 1 set of 5

Trying to get back on the wagon. A month since I've been to the gym to lift. I'm shocked by how easily I let lifting slide completely out of my life. A little personal upheaval (we moved), a little stress at work (daily status calls), and it's like I never lifted at all. Fucking crazy, and sobering.

They've re-arranged the gym again! The "old" squat rack (the one without the platform) has been moved off to the right; Smith Machine put in its place; some new piece of equipment that I don't recognize, in the spot where the Smith Machine was. The "Core AbWorks" apparatus is either gone or I didn't see it. The bench station near the right-hand door has been moved so it's over by the dumbbells. All very disorienting. I feel like they've crammed "more" stuff in there, achieved a greater density of equipment. Felt like an idiot, wandering around looking for things.

For Face Pulls, I tried a "bench" version where you lie on your tummy. This didn't work, the bench isn't high enough. Saw a chick sitting on a bench doing a kind of row where she leaned way far forward. Tried to copy her for my second set of "face pulls". That was meh. For the last set, went back to the cable machine that I've used before. Will try some other variants next time, before settling on something.

Skipped Adduct/Abduct and Ankle Invert/Evert for time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:58 pm 
Gunny

Wednesday 10/11

Judo class

Received my Yellow belt! The test was last month, but it took a bit for instructor to get the paperwork in and order a belt. Me and White Belt BJJ guy both got promoted; I guess I'll have to call him something else now. :happiness: Instructor said a few words, tied the belts on us, shook our hands; then one-by-one everyone in class threw us and shook our hands. Was a very nice moment. Then we started learning our next 8 throws.

There's a new girl in class, a tiny thing, maybe shorter than my stepdaughter. Total beginner, instructor worked with her on basic break-falls, would come over to the rest of us to answer a question or two and then back with her.

Very sore and tight in my quads after class last night and again today. Also sore in the hamstrings & glutes, but the quads completely overshadow it. Odd. I squatted Tuesday, so unsurprised about the hams & glutes, but wouldn't expect quad tightness.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:42 pm 
Gunny

Friday 10/13

Yay, two lifting workouts in the same week. Give me a fucking medal.

Deadlift 215# for 3x5
Leg raises 1 set of 5
Plank 50 sec
Mil Press 70# 3x5
Lat Palldown 140# 3x4
Calf Raise +220# 2x5 (+ tib pulls)
Scap plex 12 (orange)

Skipped loaded carries out of laziness.

Saw a guy at the gym doing T-bar rows, with a bar stuck in the corner next to a squat rach, except he wasn't using a bar. He was grabbing the "handle" in the ring of the topmost IGX plate. Super easy setup. I asked him about it, he said he's seen some guys take the metal "handle" that you use at a cable station, and put that around the bar. He was moving a pretty good number of plates. I might give this a try (cf Syaigh's recommendation in the Front Squat thread).

It occurs to me that I could build a modified Isaac Hayes type of thing out of my schedule, where I lift two days a week. First, that would be a big improvement over the ~0 days per week that I've managed these past 3 months. But second, I'd like to hit a martial arts class 2 or sometimes even 3 times a week.
So it would like like:
  • Lift: Tuesday & Friday
  • Judo: Wednesday & Saturday
  • Karate: Thursday
  • Yoga: Sunday
The yoga would be that "Flow Yoga" class I took one time last month, that I enjoyed.

No "light cardio" in the mix, except Karate class can often be a real coaster. Judo is more like intervals, in terms of cardio: very intense. A 1-mile jog would be a good add in there somewhere, but so would a rest day. Probably taking the dog to the park for a little off-leash hike is the best overall compromise. Then karate could count as either "mobility" (we do stretches as part of warmups) or cardio. That's if I make it to class. Thursday's have been iffy so far this Fall.

Anyway, that's what I'm noodling on these days.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:36 pm 
Gunny

Saturday 10/21

Judo class.