Gunny

Monday 10/30

Back Squat – 130#, 135#, 140# for 3x5
Leg Raise – 3x5 (no extra weight)
Power Clean – 85# for 3x5
Bench – 120# for 3x5
Incl Dumbbell Row – 2@30# for 3x5
Seated Dip – 90# for 3x5

Skipped Adduct/Abduct and Ankle Evert/Invert for time.

Best squat sets I've done in many months! Felt like I was going straight down and mostly straight up. Good ROM, pretty smooth reps. Very satisfying. At the top between reps I had to re-extend my upper chest – my T-spine, I guess – so I was losing that during the reps. But just being able to detect and self-correct it was a small step forward. And everything else stayed pretty good and pretty tight. Best part was the smoothness: I really felt like the bar path was pretty much straight up and down, almost no hitches.

My wife gave me a hint that she got off some source, about retracting your scaps to make a "shelf" for the bar to rest on. I don't know if that's hugely different from what I was doing before, but I tried to stay conscious of it this time, and that's when I had my two best sets. So I'll be sticking with that cue for a little bit.

Hint from Alastair MacNicol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMFHgVN_pcg

So there's a Hammer Strength "Seated Dip" machine, next to one of the Bench Press stations. I don't know how long it's been there: it may have been there the whole time, but they have re-arranged the gym a couple times, so maybe not. However long it's been there, I didn't know what it was and ignored it. But tonight while I was benching there was a guy using the machine, and I saw it and understood it. That's exciting to me: because I'm too weak for regular dips, and bench dips hurt me (too much ROM to the back). But I would really benefit from that exercise. Put a couple of 45# plates on the pins of the machine, and tried it. Lowered the seat for my 2nd & 3rd sets, to get better ROM.

This is fabulous! I can start with this very low weight, and slowly work up to something decent, while not hurting myself. I'm super-psyched.

Ancillary benefit: this fixes my "paired exercise" issue that I mentioned the other day, in talking about Power Cleans. I can keep my favorite mini-circuit of Bench Press and Power Clean, and pair Incline Dumbbell Rows with Seated Dips. OR I can keep the normal & obvious pairing of Bench Press and Incline Row, and superset the Power Cleans and Seated Dips. Doesn't matter, either would be fine. It's just an organization of workout issue, but I'm very happy.

Shoulders a little sore now.

Post subject: Re: Zip It Up
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:13 am 
Gunny

Monday 11/6

Back Squat – 135#, 140#, 145# for 3x5
Leg Raise – 3x5 (no extra weight)
Bench – 125#, 125#,120# for 3x5
Incl Dumbbell Row – 2@35# for 3x5
Power Clean – 95# for 3x5
Seated Dip – 100# for 3x5
Adduct/Abduct – 150# for 2x5

Skipped Ankle Evert/Invert for time.

Squats felt GREAT. Keeping focused on the cue to pull my scaps back to make a shelf seems to have been helping me. I dunno if I'm actually making a shelf; but I think the cue helps me keep my upper body taut.

I was supposed to only do 90# on the clean tonight, but it's much easier to add two 25s to the bar than root around for all the other shit. And what I noticed is, just this small 10# jump in weight was enough to move past my technique. I can muscle it, but the timing etc is not all there. Not sure if I need to drop back in weight; I'll try this same weight next time, see how it goes.

I love the seated dips. It's a range of shoulder motion I haven't been engaging at all. Also I did my exercises in nice pairs tonight: Bench and Incline Row, alternating for 3 sets of 5. Then Cleans and Dips, alternating. My workout felt nice and organized.

There was a chick at the gym last week, in the squat rack next to mine, who was doing a couple exercises I hadn't seen before. In one, she started in a lunge position, with a plate in each hand (gripped by the handle). She jumped and switched her feet, landing in the opposite lunge. That looked cool, and hard. In the second, she loaded a bar in the deadlift position, and jumped in the air. That one was very much like the first half of a power clean: looked like something you might do on your way to learning the power clean. But she did more reps per second than you can do in the clean

Explosiveness training, I guess. Looked like good stuff. If I coached a basketball player, I might use these. I can also see how these could be helpful for karate. Maybe for judo, too? Notice that I've only been able to get to the gym once a week for the past month, and I'm eyeing other exercises that I could add to the program I'm not doing. Still, I'll keep these in my mind.

Goal this week: a second session of lifting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:13 am 
Gunny

Wednesday 11/3

Judo got cancelled. So:

Front squat – 105# 1 set of 5 for warmup
Deadlift – 205# for 2x5
Leg raises – +10# for 2x5
Mil Press – 75# for 2x5
Lat Palldown – 120# for 2x5
One Arm Dumbbell Row – 60# for 1 set of 5
Calf Raise – +220# 2x5 (+ tib pulls)
Scap plex – 15 (orange)

I went very late at night, around the time I would usually be getting hom from Judo class. So I reduced the sets from 3 to 2, and in some cases (DL, pulldown) reduced the weight. Didn't want to get too revved up this late at night, and fuck up my sleep completely. Going at all is a minor victory: I might even squeeze in 3 lifting sessions this week, which would be a major accomplishment given the last few months.

Nice thing about going this late: gym was sparsely populated, so I was able to set up my little circuit. Went from Deadlifts to scap plex in under 30 mins.

I picked up 6' of tube webbing at Target, and used that and a carbiner to make a little strap for holding a plate on my legs for leg raises.

The gym has been short of some vital equipment recently. I haven't seen the ab wheel in quite some time. There's only a few sets of spring clamps for the barbells; so if the gym is full, you are SOL getting some clamps to hold your plates on. Most people are lifting "free". I had a pair of clamps at home, so I threw them into my gym bag, along with my straps for weighted carries and my new strap for leg raises. If I dig up my ab wheel, I might throw that in there too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:50 am 
Gunny

Quote:
Goal this week: a second session of lifting.
Mission accomplished. Lifted 3x this week, for the first time in months.

Friday 11/10

Back Squat – 140#, 145#, 150# for 3x5
Leg Raise – +12.5# for 3x5
Bench – 125# for 3x5
Incl Dumbbell Row – 2@40# for 3x5
Seated Dip – 110# for 3x5
Ankle evert/invert – 2x5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:46 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
There was a chick at the gym last week, in the squat rack next to mine, who was doing a couple exercises I hadn't seen before. In one, she started in a lunge position, with a plate in each hand (gripped by the handle). She jumped and switched her feet, landing in the opposite lunge.
Easier to do with a weight vest and mistakes are less costly.

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:53 pm 
Gunny

Quote:
Easier to do with a weight vest and mistakes are less costly.
Mistakes? Costly? How so?

Seems to me she could drop the plates, if she had to bail. Whereas with a weight vest if she's falling or something, she can't divest herself (heh heh).

I used to have a scuba divers weight belt, the soft kind where you fill the pockets with shot. That was useful for some things.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:03 pm 
Gunny

Saturday 11/11

Judo class.

Spent a fair amount of time working Harai Goshi, which is a new throw for my belt level. Love it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:19 am 
Gunny

Sunday 11/12

"Flow" Yoga class.

My wife & went together to the class, second time we've done that on a Sunday morning. Fun.
Fancy expensive brunch after, also fun.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:29 am 
Gunny

One year ago today was Sunday 11/13. The Ravens were also off that day (this past wkend they were on a bye; this week last year they played a Thursday night game). My wife and I were sitting around on our asses, not doing anything, and suddenly out of the blue I said "Honey do you mind if I go to the gym?" She was like uh no, go ahead. And I started this whole training thing. Completely, randomly out of the blue. I had been thinking about it off and on for ages, reading & gathering info, making vague plans. Suddenly, out of nowhere, just got up and started doing it. Kept a log in a text file on my laptop for a couple weeks, then transferred it over to here.

I'm not where I wanted to get to strength-wise. But I have made some gains in strength; and I've made enormous gains in mobility, overall activity level, sense of well-being, and martial arts practice. I friggin love Judo. I'm extremely happy I started this whole thing.

Monday 11/13

Front squat – 105# for 1 set of 5 as warmup
Deadlift – 225# for 3x4
Leg raises – +15# for 3x5
Mil Press – 75# for 3x5
Lat Palldown – 130# for 3x5
Bench – 125# for 2x5
One Arm Dumbbell Row – 65# for 2x5
Calf Raise – +240# for 2x5 (+ tib pulls)
Scap plex – 15 (orange)

Sick and goddam tired of not being able to bench 140. Today's not supposed to be a bench day, it's Deadlift/Overhead day. But I decided to double up on the Bench Presses, hit them every session and see if I can jump-start some progress on that lift. I'm also weak as a kitten pressing overhead – and hell, every other thing to do with the upper body, including dips and pull-ups – but one problem at a time, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 pm 
Gunny

Saturday 11/25

Judo class!

Uchikomi's, counters to Ouchi Gari, grip fighting (kumi kata??), randori, finished up with ~10 mins of ne-waza (grappling). Very fun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:54 pm 
Gunny

Wednesday 11/29

Judo class.

Uchikomi's, counters, ne-waza (turnovers from guard).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:41 am 
Gunny

Wednesday 12/6

Judo class.

Uchikomi's, counters to Osoto Gari, ne-waza. I grappled with Yellow Belt BJJ guy, and Tall Young Black Belt. Brutal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 pm 
Gunny

Sunday 12/10

Jesus, it's been a month!

Back Squat – 145#, 150#, 155# for 3x5
Plank 45 secs ; Leg Raise – 1 set of 5 ea
Bench – 125# for 2x5
Power Clean – 95# for 2x5
Incl Dumbbell Row – 2@40# for 2x5
Seated Dip – 120# for 2x5
Adduct/Abduct – 130# for 1 set of 5

Been trying to get to the gym since Thursday. Been one damn thing after another.

One of the damn things is, I evidently jacked up my right shoulder a little bit at Judo. It's been hurting every day since, and I haven't been able to sleep on my right side. Felt a little better yesterday; but then my left hip flexor started to feel sore. Ugh. This stuff will probably just get better and better as I keep getting older, right? Awesome.

Squats felt fine, the actual reps. But evidently I've forgotten how to work in the gym, because I had the rack set a little too high. No problem to unrack and start my first set: but the bar "settled" some during my set, so when I walked back into the squat rack, the bar banged into the "lip" of the holders. I was too low to re-rack the damn bar! Trying to lever myself on tip-toes, the plate-holder on the right hand side was loose, and the plates slid off of it. They crashed to the floor, and I'm trying to wrangle a lopsided bar that's behind me and trying to jump off my back.

Three guys came running from the squat racks around me. They each grabbed a piece of the bar, and between us we set it onto the safety rails. I said "Thanks guys." And then because I felt like I had to say SOMETHING, "Guess I have these things set too high." One of the guys said "Yah" and then they all vanished. But I noticed that when I did my second set, the guy in the rack next to mine stopped what he was doing and watched, waiting to see if he was needed.

Embarrassing. Note to self: set the rack to "7", not "6". Too Dumb To Lift Weights, episode ~10 or so.

Weights too light for the adduct/abduct. I hurried thru one light set bc I had to retrieve the boy from the gym's daycare, which was closing. Just enough to break the ice on mobility: but no kind of challenge at all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:18 pm 
Gunny

Tuesday 12/12

Front squat – 105# for 1 set of 5 as warmup
Deadlift – 225# for 3x5
Leg raises – (unweighted) 3x5
Mil Press – 80# for 3x5
Lat Pulldown – 140# for 3x5
Bench – 125# for 5+4
One Arm Dumbbell Row – 65# for 2x5
Suitcase Carry – 70#
Calf Raise – +240# for 2x5 (+ tib pulls)

Pleased with form on my front squats. Doing a better job holding form in the hole; not perfect, but improving.
Also, Military Presses felt pretty good too.

Hit bench again, on this non-bench day. Today is dead-press-pulldown day, but tacked on some bench sets (and dumbbell row) at the end. Plan is to double-up on bench, hit it every session, until I can do sets at 145#.

Interesting, on the Suitcase Carry I did not feel it in my side/obliques. Usually that starts burning about halfway down the hall. This time my grip started to be the limiting factor; I was actually disoriented as I got to my usual turnaround place in the long hall, and my sides didn't hurt but my grip was loosening.

EDIT – Oh yeah, Too Dumb To Lift Weights episode #11, I forgot that for any moderately-heavy deadlift, you need the alternating grip. I grabbed double overhand, started to stand up, and was like oh fuck. Finished that rep, pretty much, re-gripped and did the rest.

Last edited by JimZipCode on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:44 am 
Gunny

There was a cute girl in one of the squat racks when I got to the gym, college-age I think, with her hair pulled back in a long ponytail. Didn't look like any sort of athlete. A lot of obvious athlete-types come to the gym to lift, high school or juco hoops players or swimmers or volleyballers or wrestlers or track-&-field or whatever. Maybe college non-revenue-sport kids home for the holidays. All of them have a different vibe from the bro's or the bodybuilders or the glute-shaping ladies, or the middle-agers desperately trying to mount some defense like me. This girl didn't have the vibe or "look" that the young athletes normally have. She looked exactly like any of my stepdaughter's friends, perhaps on her way to Starbucks for a pumpkin spice latte: small to medium-sized girl in baggy sweats and white socks and a college T-shirt. She was really squatting, and she had taken off her shoes to do it (which I do too), so mentally I was all "hey good for you."

What was interesting was later, while I was in the middle of my deadlift sets. She had set her bar on the floor. She started doing this complex: hang clean - jerk - front squat. Ass to grass in the squat, or close enough. She did at least 3 sets of this, and her sets were at least 5 reps. She was moving decent weight, too. At the time I thought it was 155# or 165#. Thinking back now, I wonder if I mistook her weights, thinking she had 45's on the bar when they might actually have been 25's. That would put the weight at around 115# or 125#.

I was super impressed. This girl didn't look "strong" at all. And she starts throwing this weight around. The weight I originally thought she was doing, around 150#, I don't think I could do 2 reps of that complex. If the weight was actually lower, around 100# to 110# or so, maybe I could muddle thru a set. But I'm like 6 inches taller and nearly 100# heavier. And a guy. Plus I would probably crawl off somewhere and throw up after the set. She looked very technically competent to me. I'm no kind of expert in those moves: nitpicky, maybe she could use some coaching to keep her knees from caving inwards at the bottom of the squat. But overall, at the very least she clearly knew what she was doing.

I spoke to her after she was done with her sets, asked if I had the complex right that she was doing. When she told me yes, I said that was amazing, and she thanked me very nicely. I started to get the impression she may have been younger than I initially thought, and I abruptly fled the conversation. Suddenly felt like Roy Moore or something: gross. But I wish now I had asked her some more questions; what sport she trains for and how she got that particular complex, what goals you hit with that combo.

Very interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:01 am 
Gunny

Friday 12/15

Back Squat – 150#, 155#, 160# for 3x5
Leg Raise – +10# for 3x5
Bench – 130#, 130#, 125# for 5,4,5
One-arm Dumbbell Row – 60# for 3x5
Seated Dip – 130# for 3x5

Was supposed to do the Incline Dumbbell Rows (bench rows), not the one-armed, but I misunderstood my notes. I regret that a little, bc I think the incline has been helping my front squat posture. The one-arm is part of my program too – it wasn't a waste – I just would rather pair the other lift with bench presses.

Oh! I figured out what went wrong with my squat the other day. The first time they remodeled the weight room, early this year, they added two newfangled squat racks with "platforms" for deadlifting in front of them. And they moved one of the old squat racks over to the near right. This old one did not have one of those "platforms" in front of it. On the new racks with the platform, I put the holding pins in the slots numbered "6", and that works perfectly for me.

Sometime during one of my breaks from lifting this Summer or Fall, they remodeled the weight room a little more, moved the smith machine over and did some other things. What I didn't realize is, when they did that, they must have swapped out the old squat rack with one of those new ones, BUT they did not put the "platform" in it. Lifting today, I used one of the two newer racks, and then I looked closely at the third rack. The "frame" part of the rack is identical to the other two, and they're all mounted on the floor. The only thing different is the third rack doesn't have the platform, which I never realized was a separate piece. So I set the holding pins into slots number 6 as usual, but didn't realize that I was standing a good 2 inches or maybe even 3 LOWER relative to the pins than I would be in the other racks.

This height would have been fine for front squats. And I was even able to un-rack the bar in back squats in this position. But I guess I had it in a "high bar" position, and during my reps it settled into a "low bar" position; so when it was time to re-rack, I was fucked.

So that's interesting. I'll set the pins in 6 on the platforms, and the lower setting 7 in the other rack, off the platform. Or, you know, check the pin height carefully before squatting no matter where I am.