IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:34 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:42 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

After a long week of self-reflection and making some changes to the way I write my own programming, I decided that I wanted a fresh start to my training journal.

I'm 39, as of May 5th, 2018, in decent shape and am an avid surfer. I've been working out for 25 years consistently, but spent a lot of time doing part of the puzzle but not all of it - this is my attempt at integrating everything: diet, warm-up, a balanced exercise regimen, cool downs, etc.

---

Diet

3 meals a day: protein, veggies, carbs and fat
1 meal a day: protein, veggies, fat
1 meal a day: protein, carbs, fruit
Water: plenty
Snacks (if needed): fruit, raw veggies, black coffee, unsweetened tea

---

Goals: continue surfing well, staying injury free and looking good (better than now). All qualifiable goals, but I'm not at a stage where I care too much about squatting X or benching Y.

Last edited by Bram on Mon May 07, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:51 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, May 5th - Athletic Workout

Stretch Calves, Hip Flexors and Biceps

Warm-Up - 10 reps each side, or direction if applicable, of hip circles, wrist circles, ankle circles, knee circles, shoulder circles, arm circles, standing twists, Ba Gua tea exercise, Ginga from Capoeira, high knees, 1-leg standing hip abduction circles, leg swings to the front

Note: holy shit, what a good warm-up

----

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbows In 40lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Box Jumps 36" x 10, 39" x 10, 42" x 5 x 2 sets
and
Endless Rope x 45 seconds at 575 feet, 532, 527, 508

45 Degree Machine Side Bend Isometric +10lbs x 1 minute each x 4 sets [contracting abs and glutes the entire time]
and
BOSU Ball Chest Pass 6lbs x 20 x 4 sets

DB Incline Bench Shin Raise 27.5lbs x 20 x 2 sets, 30lbs x 20 x 2 sets
and
Lying Back Extension x 1.5 minutes, 1.5, 1.5, 1 [contracting abs, glutes and mid-traps the entire time]

Cable Internal Rotation - Seated with Elbow on Knee 20lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Self Myofascial Release - infraspinatus and pec

Stretching Full-Body 15 minutes

Workout Time: 1.75 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:35 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, May 7th - Upper Body Push

Stretch Calves, Hip Flexors and Biceps

Warm-Up - 10 reps each side, or direction if applicable, of hip circles, wrist circles, ankle circles, knee circles, shoulder circles, arm circles, standing twists, Ba Gua tea exercise, Ginga from Capoeira, high knees, 1-leg standing hip abduction circles, leg swings to the front

Sahrmann Exercise Level 1 x 15 reps each side x 2 sets
and
Scapulae Push-Ups x 20 x 2 sets

Push-Ups with Hands on Bench x 45 seconds x 22, 20, 17, 16
and
Cable Rotation with 3 second Negative 25lbs x 15 each side x 4 sets

DB Seated Shoulder Press 30's x 15, 35's x 15, 30's x 15, 25's x 15
1-1.5 minutes rest between sets

BB Skull-Crusher's 45lbs x 15 x 4 sets
1-1.5 minutes rest between sets

Cable Neck Harness Extension 10lbs x 15 x 2 sets

DB Shrugs 35's x 20, 40's x 20

DB Side Lying External Rotation 5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Seated External Rotation 5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Stretching Upper Push and Core Muscles 7.5 minutes

Workout Time: 1.5 hours

Notes: do stretches before and after on this workout, neglected to do self-myofascial release, modify warm-up to be more applicable to the exercises for today. Maybe do X amount of push-ups in the warm-up and ditch them in the main workout in favor of weighted presses? Lastly was told to lock my arms out on the cable rotations.

----

Meditation 15 minutes [focusing on the breath] + Compassion Meditation + Savasana

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:24 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, May 8th - Upper Body Pull

Warm-Up - Running in Place x 15-20 seconds and Jumping Jacks x 10-15, followed by 10 reps each side, or direction if applicable, of hip circles, wrist circles, shoulder circles, arm circles, high knees, leg swings to the front

Stretch Upper Body Pulling and Core muscles 7.5 minutes (maybe better to stretch before the warm-up)

Wall Slides x 15 x 2 sets
and
DB Shrugs 40's x 20, 45's x 20

Lat Pull-Down - Parallel Grip 100lbs x 15, 105lbs x 17, 110lbs x 15 x 2 sets
1-2 minute rest between sets

Seated Hammer Rows 70/70 x 15, 15; 55/55 x 15, 15

BB Curls 50lbs x 15, 15; 45lbs x 15, 12

Machine Reverse Fly's 55lbs x 15, 60lbs x 15, 70lbs x 12, 10

L-Sit from Benches x 30 seconds x 4 sets (bent-knees almost the entire time, on the 4th set I did about 8 seconds legs locked out)
and
BB Reverse Wrist Curls 25lbs x 15 x 2 sets
and
BB Wrist Curls 45lbs x 15, 50lbs x 15

Stretch Upper Body Pulling and Core muscles 7.5 minutes

Workout Time: 1.25 hours

Notes: noticed on the last set of lat pull-downs (and the rows and reverse fly's), that I arch the hell out of my lower back to get my upper back upright. On all the flys and the last 2 sets of rows I corrected for this and got a nice core workout, plus it felt safer. Got complimented on my flexibility and my muscles today, all the stretching is already paying off and being more conscious of my diet - or just being pumped up - seems to be helping.

----

Surfing 2 hours 45 minutes

My arms were exhausted, surfed one wave kinda decently, pretty crap the rest of the time. The beach smelled beautiful, jasmine flowers and salty air.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:21 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Abs and triceps very sore, lats and biceps reasonably sore.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:45 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, May 11th

Meditation 15 minutes [the color and word "blue"] + Compassion Meditation + Gratitude

One of the people in my meditation group shared this story:

A friend was battling very aggressive cancer, after a week and a half of twice a day radiation plus chemo he was ready to call it quits and die. His spit tasted like acid in his mouth. He called a neighbor who came over and suggested he focus on the word and color "blue" during his treatments. She said it was a healing color. So he tried it, at first he didn't notice anything, but after a couple days it started to sooth him during his treatments and he ended up completing all of it. It so inspired his family that they began decorating their house with lots of blue: art, blankets, pillows and so on. His son, who is an artist, now starts every piece with the color blue and goes from there. This happened 16 years ago and the friend is alive and well.

So that's why we focused on blue today. Felt good to rest the mind and just imagine the color surrounding you, only used the word occasionally.

----

Surfing 1.25 hours - Secret Spot #3 3ft 10S 284 WNW

Killer waves. I surfed a bit like ass - got one good turn though. Nice people out and very uncrowded.

Surfing 2.25 hours

Still excellent waves. Caught tons, made a lot of really solid turns and good drop-ins, but also ate shit a good amount and had a lack of harmony for most of the surfing: make a good drop, do a good turn, fuck up the next turn. Saw a buddy get an outstanding barrel and come flying out. Great energy in the water with the other surfers, a lot of cheering and hooting for one another.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:49 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, May 12th

Surfing 2.75 hours

Holy shit, the waves were good again today. I heard it was great in the morning at Scripps Pier and in Pacific Beach but I slept in and missed the wind window. Went to Secret Spot #3 today. Wasn't intending to surf, had my gym gear on and was on my way to workout when I saw beautiful waves and only a handful of people out.

Had some decent harmony some of the time, caught lots of excellent waves, got solid turns and good drops. I noticed that I have a tendency to waste momentum by doing these little check turns that only serve to slow me down and take me out of flow. The goal is non-stop flow, even if that means doing nothing and going straight. Also, I tried for a deep bottom turn in a critical section and as I came up to straighten out, I got sucked up and over the falls. It means it probably was going to barrel, so I needed to do a check turn to stall.

All that technical bullshit aside, it was a beautiful day, with storm clouds a few miles from shore, but the shine shining overhead and the glassy water looked like neon blue toothpaste.

Last edited by Bram on Sun May 13, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:57 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, May 13th, Mother's Day - Lower Body

I talked to one of the good surfers at my gym about being sucked up and over yesterday while trying to get barelled. He said it's counter-intuitive but you need to point the board down the face of the wave in that situation, not straight across. Good tip!

Warm-Up - 10 reps each side, or direction if applicable, of hip circles, wrist circles, ankle circles, knee circles, shoulder circles, arm circles, Ba Gua tea exercise, high knees, standing twists, Ginga from Capoeira, , 1-leg standing hip abduction circles, leg swings to the front

BB Squat [7 blocks + step] 185lbs x 5 x 4 sets
and
Standing Band Abduction x 20 each x 2 sets

Standing Band Adduction x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Walking Lunges 30's x 15 each x 4 sets
and
Seated Calf Raise 45lbs x 15 x 4 sets

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 2 sets
and
DB Decline Shin Raise 35lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Glute-Ham Raise x 15 x 4 sets

BB Deadlift 95lbs x 15, 15, 10, 10 [last 2 sets kept my shoulder blades neutral]

Stretch Lower Body 10 minutes

----

In honor of my Mom, for Mother's Day I went to the meditation gardens in Encinitas. She was the person who I meditated with as a little kid. It was a truly spectacular day. Song birds everywhere, a pleasant breeze, sunny but perfect in the shade.

Meditation 20 minutes [Repeating "love" on the breath in and the breath out] + 10 minutes Observing Nature

Meditation 5 minutes [posture, relax, breathe, observe]

----

Was incredibly tired, but...

Surfing 1.5 hours

Another day with outstanding waves and only a couple people out. I did stuff with my surfing that was far outside the norm, much deeper bottom turns, recovering from stuck positions.

I had a number of waves where I was too close to shore when I took off and couldn't build up enough speed to catch the wave before it overtook me.

At one point I did a turn (my best of the day) where I blew the fins out and recovered. I have slid the fins out a number of times and it feels really cool, but this was more than that.

Stance also felt off, quite a few times, but stoked!!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:11 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, May 14th

Surfing

Weird morning. I couldn't get a wave for the life of me. I had 25 minutes before I needed to go in for work, spent 55 minutes and got a little wave in. Late to work, causing me to no-charge my client, still work, miss food. Also, anger levels were crazy high towards one of the locals out there. Meh.

Meditation 15 minutes [breathe, relax, posture, observe, let go] + Compassion Meditation

Too much to think about? Maybe "breathe, relax, observe, let go" is enough. Maybe even that is mental overload. After meditating I noted how my mind acts twisted towards certain individuals - like I'll see certain people and shut down my friendliness.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:46 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, May 16th

Went out to surf for 25 minutes, couldn't catch anything. My buddy in the gym came in as I was doing the following workout and told me South Bird was going off and he caught tons of waves.

----

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Snap Push-Ups x 20 each x 2 sets, 50 push-ups (took maybe 5 sets?)
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 1 x 15 each x 4 sets

DB Bench 45's x 15, 15; 50's x 10, 10 (tough after push-ups)
and
DB Windmill - Low Hand w/ TVA Contraction 30lbs x 5 each x 4 sets (any higher on the weight I couldn't contract the TVA)

DB Seated Shoulder Press 35's x 12, 8; 30's x 10, 10
and
DB Lateral Raise 12.5's x 12, 10, 10, 10

Cable Push-Down's 50lbs x 15, 12, 8; 42.5lbs x 8

Cable Neck Extension 10lbs x 20
and
Cable Neck Flexion 10lbs x 20

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee 25lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Stretch Chest, Triceps, Biceps

----

Surfing 1 hour

Oh wow......so fun!!! I caught some REALLY good set waves including a nice right (haven't gone right in a month or maybe more), surfed terrific, just a stellar experience! Right at the end, my "thinking brain" kicked in, the part that says "fuck that guy" and "you're great" and all that bullshit. Even though right at the beginning of the session I noted that the waves were breaking in front of a particular house, the thinking mind was like "you should paddle over there." It was the only bad wave selection of my time tonight. I grabbed a surfer burrito afterwards and the cashier told me it looked I had just had a lot of fun in the water :happiness:

Mantra tonight "feel, connect, be, flow"

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:52 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, May 17th

Tired, tired, tired.

Meditation 15 minutes [connect to the breath, feel the body, be present] + Compassion Meditation

Only one person came to my meditation class today. She's been attending for 3.5 years or so and at the end shared that the class had really helped her (maybe she felt bad because she was the only person who showed up). I know she can't handle the breathing and being present so I had her repeat "impermanence" on the breath in and "change" on the breath out. She said recognizing that things were impermanent had helped her with construction and flooding in her home and dealing with an MRI scan. She said a few other things too, it felt really good to be doing something to positively impact someone else.

If you don't volunteer I would strongly suggest it. It's been 4 years of teaching meditation 2 hours a week for free and it's became a real highlight in my week.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:24 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, May 18th

Had a mentally tiring day, compounded with an inability to sleep last night (bed at 1030pm-up at 130am). After leaving work in the early evening, swung by the beach to take a few minutes and recharge.

Meditation 15 minutes [no directive, just sitting in front of the Ocean]

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:15 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, May 20th

Surfed secret spot #3 for 2.25 hours. The first hour or so I buried my nose on the take-off on basically every good wave, while managing a few waves in between. Focused on "feel, connect, be, flow"

Re-applied sunscreen and started making better waves but feeling out of sync with the rhythms of the Ocean. For example, I stalled too long and lost my connection to the speedy part of one wave. I did begin to finish some high speed turns and make a few intimidating drop-ins.

I started thinking about omitting desire and if that might have a positive effect on my surfing and added that to my mantra. I decided to focus on "feel, connect, be, flow, desire-less, gone."

Re-applied sunscreen again and began laying down good turns, catching good waves and making it through more difficult sections. By the end I was performing at a high-level for my abilities. The desire-less focus was interesting as I began to add little breathers into my moves, like waiting a little longer to begin a turn. I went to re-apply again and it looked like the waves had shut down. I noted that my attitude seemed to be negative. Even though I started to get some sick waves I was still pissy about another surfer and their surfing etiquette. I decided to add "loving-kindness" to my already lengthy mantra for my next session.

After a quick lunch I saw that Windansea looked fun. Suited back up and surfed for another 1.5 hours.

The waves were a bit hit or miss, I caught maybe 5 good set waves which to be honest is pretty awesome at this spot. They nearly all had these elevator drops where I felt very high in the air and then would plummet downwards. My surfing didn't feel that connected or that great, but I paddled decently and made those intimidating drops.

Focusing on "loving-kindness" seemed to have a very positive effect. I had a good time talking to a number of people. Generally surfing here is a bit of social misery - even the surfers who know each other don't talk much - it was nice to enjoy the time between waves.

My leg extensor muscles, or something related to my legs being almost fully extended while surfing and doing a maneuver, felt weak. I'll add bodyweight leg extensions back in next leg workout.

Overall, I think I am experiencing some pretty severe burn-out from the training program I am undertaking.

Additionally, I think the philosophy of "feel, connect, be, flow" is long enough and will revert back to that. I'm gonna blame my greed for more waves and negativity towards others on being worn out.

Next week I'll return my volume to sustainable levels, while keeping all the gym elements I have been doing. We have some amazing waves forecasted for Tuesday and I want to get back to surfing daily and working out in the gym 4x/week.

:heart:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:17 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, May 21st

Surfing 1.25 hours

The waves looked like absolute shit, I had already comitted to surfing with a new neighbor though. I spent a good 15-20 minutes paddling around looking for a spot to sit. Settled on a line-up spot my other friend called "Bram's" - flaky but fun as she said.

Waves ended up being super fun. Very playful conditions. I managed some nice turns and even got a no-paddle take-off (had probably less than 5 of those ever).

Mantra "feel, connect, be, flow, desire-less, gone"

I feel this mantra is so ridiculously long, but each element does seem to help my surfing out. Still got the negativity thing and my boards are slathered in old, disgusting wax. If possible to add anything, I'd imagine "do my best, have fun" would keep it covered. Haha, my endless mantra.

----

Yoga + Meditation 15 minutes [breathing, observing, lettting go] + Metta

----

Stretching 7.5 minutes

Chin-Ups x 9, 7, 7

Seated Cable Row 50lbs x 15 x 3 sets
and
Cable Reverse Fly 2nd Setting x 13, 12, 10

DB Alt. Hammer Curls 40's x 4-6 each, 35's x 7 each, 4 each

Hanging Knee Raise w/ TVA x 8-10 x 3 sets

+ BB Reverse Wrist Curls 25lbs, BB Wrist Curls (thumbs on same side as fingers) 55lbs, Cable Neck Extension/Flexion 15lbs, Kneeling Overhead Cable Pull-Aparts 10's x 20 (too light, but felt good)

Stretching 7.5 minutes (did some hamstrings, glutes and quads because I got sick of stretching lats and biceps)

----

Surfing 20 minutes

Missed a beautiful bomb that I was in position for, think I just didn't commit enough. Caught 2 fun waves then the greedy voice in my head clearly said "one more" - I caught nothing after that. Hmmm..

Last edited by Bram on Wed May 23, 2018 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:21 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, May 22nd

Stretching 7.5 minutes

Band Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side Red Band x 20 each x 2 sets (another trainer said I should have my arm out at a 30 degree angle instead of neutral, tried it and it did feel better)

Plate Side Bend w/ TVA 45lbs x 15, 35lbs x 12, 12

DB Bench 65's x 9, 9, 6

DB Lateral Raise 12.5's x 15 x 3 sets

DB Skull-Crusher's 20's x 15, 12, 10

DB External Rotation - Elbow by Side 7.5lbs x 15, 5lbs x 15

+ DB Farmer's Walk 50's, Scap Push-Ups, 1-Arm Cable Internal Rotation - Cuban Press 25lbs, DB Cuban Press 7.5's

Stretching 7.5 minutes - I always remark on this, but holy shit I get flexible fast. Two day of stretching and my ROM is vastly improved.

Note: used the biggest ROM I could for internal and external rotation with the elbow in, I always do straight ahead to stomach, instead of out as far as I can. Maybe it helped me paddle a little faster?

----

Surfed 1.25 hours 2.9 ft 18 seconds 208-210 SSW

I realized today that I am driving myself crazy with this long-as-fuck mantra of "feeling" and being "desire-less" and "flowing" and on and on. It's leaving me lost in my damn head when I'm at work or walking down the street. So I thought, "If I could pick just 3 things to focus on, what 3 seem to result in the best overall state for everything from surfing to making sure I brush my teeth before bed?" Settled on "do your best, connect, have fun."

It was so fucking crowded at my Secret Spot #1, but it was sooooo dang good too. I used to not surf there if there was 10 people out, because it's a small take-off zone and even a couple greedy people can ruin your session. There was 17 that I counted just sitting deeper than me (meaning they have first pick of every wave before I do), plus another 4-5.

I caught so many damn waves, and I surfed pretty decent. Definitely a little clunky on some, but good flow on others. I did suffer from some greed after I started assuming people weren't gonna make their waves and got too selfish taking at least one wave that someone deeper than me would have probably made (or did make). I don't know what the fuck is the deal with that, but I'm gonna catch an ass-kicking one of these days if I can't learn to share.

I also had a great time talking to people and feeling generally not like a stodgy prick which is an improvement in and of itself.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:08 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, May 23rd

Surfing 2.75 hours

Woke up at 430, then hit the snooze for 20 minutes, to get up and surf the swell on the optimal tide.

Great waves, very tired, missed a ton of them. Or didn't have enough speed after getting into it and slid off. Made a few.....I'm gonna hypothesize that it was just slightly too much shoulder work yesterday, so I'm gonna bump the serratus work off of my upper body press day and put it on my full-body day.

Again with the greed, dropped in on my friend Mikael who was on a decent wave (he may have been too deep, or me paddling into it may have caused the wave to fall apart). I feel like I have three modes: greedy as fuck (last 2 sessions), incredibly polite (how I started yesterday, where I paddle for nothing that anyone is remotely going to catch) and patient - only grabbing waves if I see someone clearly eat shit or back off.

Also, I took my 6'2" twinzer, and I have had a bunch of shitty sessions on this board in a row. Could have been user error tho.

----

Surfing 2.75 hours

Wasn't gonna go, but I dunno...I did. I was all over the place with this mantra business: "do your best, connect, have fun" - meh...."connect, feel, be, flow" - meh.....that last one with "desire-less, gone" added - meh....then nothing, like literally to hell with this mantra. But then my normal crazy bullshit started with hating on other people mentally and whatever else I think about when my mind is left to run wild.

Wouldn't say I was catching anything that cool or surfing that great throughout this. And the waves were good! Saw this Brazilian dude get a nice barrel, saw a lot of critical waves get made. And then I tried "feel, connect, be present, flow" and it was like a light turned on. All of a sudden I had this great harmony and started making good waves, feeling good towards other people in the water. My last wave I got this ripping turn, then another little one into the beach. This little kid standing on shore had this big smile and threw me a shaka and a couple of my friends on the beach gave me some nice compliments.

Very cool!!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:15 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, May 25th

Compassion Meditation

So tired it was difficult to raise an arm to shoulder level.

Friday, May 26th

Surfing 2.5 hours

Surfed Windansea and was very nervous about it. I don't know if it's because my surfing tends to be so erratic (good one day, bad the next) or something else. Sat on the beach for a few extra minutes trying to get my mind right.

The first 1.5 hours I got some super fun waves and surfed them very well, turns all the way to the beach. Then it was like a switch went off and the last hour I fell on every wave I got into, which wasn't all that many. I definitely felt like my energy/focus had dwindled significantly, but can't point to any one thing.

Good vibes in the water though the whole time, even with people who traditionally scowl at me.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:25 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, May 26th

Surf was no good, body was tired, but spent a bit of time at the beach studying the egrets, pelicans, seagulls and sparrows and listening to the crash of the waves.

Connecting to Nature 10 minutes (or so)

Sunday, May 27th

Dynamic Warm-Up: Twists, Ba Gua (rounds 2 and 3 with an empty cup), Capoeira, High Knees x 3 rounds

Glute Bridge with Alternating Leg Extension x 15 each
and
Scap Push-Ups x 20

Box Jumps 39" x 10, 42" x 10, 45" x 3
and
Endless Rope x 45 seconds x 577, 590, 568 feet

Isometric Cable Twist w/ TVA 10lbs + Bumper x 45 seconds each x 3 sets

45 Degree Low Back Extension - Hands Out to Sides x 1.5 minutes x 3 sets
and
Crow Pose x 30 seconds x 3 sets

Stretching 15 minutes

Notes: I've thought it in the past, and it seemed to be the case today, that any posterior glute work seems to help with jumping (if you do the glute work first). Very flexible today and loved doing crow pose - nice change of pace :)

----

Surfing 1.75 hours, House Spot - 3.7 feet at 8 seconds, 280WNW + 1.8 at 11 seconds 210 + 1.0 at 18 seconds 235

I was not expecting much. The winds have been blowing all day and though the waves looked somewhat fun, they also looked messy. But I went anyways. Holy shit! Such good conditions! I scored a ton of fun waves with great turn sections the first hour or so, then the tide got too high and it started getting weird and lumpy. My surfing felt very good, but again with the antipathy towards others! The only difference today is that it would come and go, instead of just bury itself inside my mind. And even with that had super good vibes with other surfers, including the people I was mad at. I just want to be free of my anger :(

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:54 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Memorial Day, Monday, May 28th

Got nicely sore from that last workout: glutes, lats, mid-back.

Surfing 1 hour

Drove around for an hour just looking for waves with my buddy. Finally settled on Scripps Pier. Messy but got some fun ones.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:45 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, May 29th - Upper Body Push

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Bench 65's x 12, 70's x 8, 70's x 6

DB Seated Shoulder Press 30's x 12, 35's x 8, 30's x 8

DB Skull-Crusher's 20's x 20, 22.5's x 15, 22.5's x 12

Isometric Cable Twist w/ TVA 15lbs x 45 seconds each x 2 sets, 10lbs + Bumper x 45 seconds each

DB External Rotation - Elbow by Side 7.5lbs x 20, 7.5lbs x 15

+ Cable Neck Harness Flexion/Extension 15lbs x 20 each, 1-Arm Cable Internal Rotation - Seated 30lbs x 20, DB Seated External Rotation 6lbs x 15

No stretching....normally I only shoulder press no lower than elbows at shoulders, today went down to wrists just above clavicles. Felt good! Surf is insane right now, typing while I eat and then shooting for 30 minutes before next appointment.

----

Surfing

1 wave. Had about 30 minutes to surf. Caught nothing for the first 29 minutes. Then right at the buzzer I paddle into a wave. As I get up I run right into a big clump of seaweed. Oof! But I made it through and surfed it all the way to the beach. Yeeew!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:36 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, May 30th

Stretching 7.5 minutes (calves, hip flexors, glutes, quads, butterfly, standing hamstrings, center splits, bent-arm chest)

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each

BB Squat - Athletic Stance [7 blocks + step + 10lb plate] 115lbs x 10, 10, 6

DB Walking Lunges 35's x 15 each, 35's x 15 each, 35's x 10-12 each
and
DB Calf Raise 30lbs x 20, 35lbs x 15, 35lbs x 15

Band Standing Abduction - Green x 20 each
and
Band Standing Adduction - Purple x 20 each

Glute-Ham Raise - Negative Only x 6, 5, 4
and
DB Decline Bench Shin Raise 30lbs x 20
and
Slow Front Kick x 20 each (L side noticeably lower)

BB Deadlift [shoulder blades neutral] 95lbs x 10 x 3 sets

Stretching 7.5 minutes (same stretches)

Very flexible in quads, glutes and almost a full-center splits.

Noticed I have a thought pop-up every so often where I badly want to talk to people - whether to ask them questions or to talk about myself. I stayed conscious of this today at the gym and didn't give in. I think this neediness is the source of many of my mental problems (anger, being un-genuine, ego mind and so on). This is affecting me both in general and while I'm surfing.

I'll try to stay aware.

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Holy Fuck.

Yes, yes, yes.

Ahhahahaha.

Surfed terrific waves, made so many good drops, got big carves, lots of speed, nice feeling flow between maneuvers. Besides 3 things my surfing felt perfect.

1. Bottom turns could have been deeper (much deeper I am sure on some)
2. Don't know how/when to stall for barrels.
3. It takes me a good amount of time to get my foot placement right.

I once again got pissy. There was a guy who had never surfed before and there was a 10 minute period where the waves were firing and he inadvertently got in the way on multiple waves. I yelled fuck out of frustration a bunch of times. Ended up having a couple nice conversations with him. I am certain that meditating more (I only got once last week) would have prevented me getting so upset. Good vibes from everyone, just me fuming for a bit making the vibe worse.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:10 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, May 31st

Gentle Stretching + Meditating 15 minutes [repeating the word "forgiveness"] + Compassion Meditation + Gratitude

Meditation is not easy, but I instantly felt good after completing the class.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:17 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, June 1st - Upper Body Pull

I've been lightly reading Overcoming Gravity https://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Gravi ... 6Z87BD4BTX

In it the author makes an effort to start each exercise with what the scapula are supposed to do: elevate, depress, protract, retract or stay neutral.

I decided to take his suggestions today and apply them to my workout.

I had to do much less weight and reps, but I am curious what the results will be.

Stretching 7.5 minutes

Chin-Ups x 4, 3, 2

Seated Cable Row 50lbs x 10 x 3 sets

DB Alt. Hammer Curls 20's x 15 each, 20's x 9 each, 17.5's x 8 each

Cable Reverse Fly's 20lbs x 12, 10, 8-10

Lying Knee Raises x 12, 8, 7

+ DB Farmer's Walks 40's, BB Reverse Wrist Curls 25lbs, BB Wrist Curls 55lbs, Straight-Arm Pull-Downs 35lbs, Overhead Cable Pull-Aparts 12.5lbs x 15

----

Surfing 1 hour

Pretty atrocious conditions. Talked to a kid I know afterwards and he said South Bird was amazing and super fun. Hmm, maybe later if I'm lucky.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:29 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, June 2nd

Woke up at 3:30AM to find out that my flight (at 6:30AM) had been cancelled at midnight.

But luckily the airline has to refund me my money and give me 500$ in vouchers so I basically get a free trip. Found another flight out at 6:45AM on another airline.

Meditation 30 minutes (connecting to the breath)

Yoga 1.5 hours - Kaiut Yoga

http://www.kaiutyogaboulder.com

This was a very brutal and unusual form of yoga. I didn't sweat at all, but I put my body through the ringer.

Started with lying on my back with my hands clasped behind my head with a bolster between my head and hands. Sat there for a long time, then did neck rotations.

Next was flat on the back, legs at 90 degrees, soles of the feet on the ground. Extend one leg parallel to the other, internally rotate it then stretch your foot forwards and eventually back.

Then seated with one thigh directly in front of the hip, shin parallel to the body, other leg in front. Folding forwards and eventually reaching towards the stretching side.

Then straddle with a bolster under the hips, forward folding while staying centered on the heels and pulling the feet back. Then side to side.

Repeated the hip and hands behind stretches. Walked down the stairs and felt amazing in the lower, but ouch!

Sunday, June 3rd

Some light punching and kicking to a heavy bag to warm-up.

Cable Internal Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Glute Bridge with Alternating Leg Extension x 15 each

Box Jumps 45" x 6, 45" x 6, 42" x 10

Clapping Pull-Ups x 3, 2, 2

Clapping Push-Ups x 10, 8, 6

Mountain Climbers x 45 seconds x 100, 87, 73

45 Degree Low Back Extension Isometric x 90, 45, 45 seconds

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee 5lbs x 14, 12

Stretching 15 minutes

Paid a lot of attention to my scapular alignment, low back alignment and TVA activation. Never done the mountain climbers with focusing on the TVA and I've done a ton of these over the years for both surfing and Jiu-Jitsu. Felt good! Stoked to improve on the box jumps from last week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:11 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, June 4th

Meditation 5 minutes (hahahaha, I know it's not much)

Am visiting Salida, Colorado. Plopped down by the Arkansas river and had just the best, deepest state of mind.

Bouldering 15 minutes

Not much time and had slippery shoes, but used my hips well and angled my body off of my forearm alignment to decrease grip stress.

Tuesday, June 5th

Meditation 15 minutes

Bouldering 15 minutes

Wednesday, June 6th

Biked the Rainbow Trail in Salida. Missed the entrance from town so ended up with an extra 6-8 miles as we had to backtrack. Stunningly beautiful. As we climbed up, the terrain shifted from dusty and a bit barren, to lush and full of life. Big butterflies, hummingbirds, caterpillar nests and more. Never saw a single cyclist the entire time we were out there.

Meditation 5 minutes + Nature Time 5 minutes